Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Do you have a bigger concern than the combat system as of now?

I'm interested to see what everyone's top concerns with the game from what we currently know/seen? Or is the combat system the biggest concern like it is for me right now?

Comments

• Options
    It's very difficult to even have a concern since we know very little about the game other than what little we have been told and seen it pre-alpha footage videos. At this stage everything is kind of up in the air other than the base concepts and can be changed/refined as we go along.

Ask me in a year when more things will have been set in concrete, we have seen features completely fleshed out (like the classes/races) and may have actually got to participate in Alpha/Beta. B)
  • Options
    Same concern I have for all other games. I am concerned that RP is going to be hard to come by.
  • Options
    I hope there isn't a cookie cutter type of combat system, where there is one or two main ways to play a class that will make 90% of everyone play a certain way.  I kind of like having a way of playing my way within the scope of the class.  I do enjoy optimizing for being better and better with learning to play my class for the best I can.  I just hope there isn't just one way for that to happen.    
    Without really seeing the way combat is going to play into the game, the skill systems, and mechanics.. it is really kind of tough to put a lot of thought, more like just thoughts and hopes at this time. 
  • Options
    All I am concerned about is the PvP system. More specifically that it does not turn in to major grief play, me getting killed ever 5 mins.
  • Options
    My main concern is I don't want the "Oprah" approach...look at World of Wacraft now, I am sick to my stomach! Raid finder...everyone and their mother gets epics, your garrison has a mine and herb garden...I know games are supposed to be fun but for the love of god, can we PLEASE bring back epic elements to the game? A good death penalty, actions that actually matter. Crafting that matters, pvp that matters....I want the game to have a certain level of difficulty...not just easy loot pinata grinds...bring back the hardcore elements! I want certain items to take ample amount of time to get...not go in a instanced dungeon and farm a boss over and over like in WoW. Also a meaningful economy, finite resources, or else farmers will destroy this game.
  • Options
    I'm concerned I won't be liked well enough by people on my server.

I just want friends...
  • Options
    Kasel said:
    I'm interested to see what everyone's top concerns with the game from what we currently know/seen? Or is the combat system the biggest concern like it is for me right now?

Nothing really worries me, only thing is that they dont fuk it up xD
  • Options
    My concerns:
    -Class viability: Every thing should have its strong and weak points. But there shouldn't be that much of a difference between archetypes. By that I mean, if someone is playing Tank/Cleric and someone else is playing Tank/Fighter, both being specialized in tanking but in different ways, we shouldn't segregate the Tank/Fighter just because "he has less survivability" . Same for DPS, support, healing archetypes. I don't the "if you don't use this archetype combo you're useless". (I guess it's related to combat system?)

-Monster brain-dead farming. I have shed the blood of so many monsters I think my kill counts is as high as the number of hair on a dwarf's face. I have no problem with slaughtering them but don't make it compulsory for leveling up at a decent pace or farming gold like some bots.

-Bots. Yep. I don't believe we'll have this problem before the official release, but if the chat is flooded to no end, this might make the experience a bit difficult for me.

-Relations between high level players and low level players. Recently, (for me), I've witnessed that MMOs are making some efforts to encourage high level players to help those who are new to the game. I like this idea. And the best game where I've seen this so far is Albion. Since the new player will have to grind left and right by hunting, gathering, processing and specializing himself, he'll be a source of resources which high level players won't bother with any more or don't have enough free time to deal with. BUT they need those resources. Since in order to craft higher tier, they need the resources from the lower tier. This prevents those starting areas from becoming deserts.

-Spawn time. When many people are at the same place doing the same thing, let's say gathering wild herbs, and it takes forever o respawn, that's just plain torture man D:

• Options
    Fleelix said:
    Kasel said:

Nothing really worries me, only thing is that they dont fuk it up xD
    +1  :)
  • Options
    - Worried that the hype will die down and people will forget about it before it is released which would be v sad
    - Worried about the quests getting repetitive as it did in WoW after mindlessly killing every enemy in Pandaria 25 times
    - Slightly concerned that when it comes out I won't see the sunlight by choice for a good few months  :#

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Not enough info on combat and how it varies between classes and races but from what I've seen so far I have no complaints, really looking forward to it. 
  • Options
    As things stand now I honestly only have one concern and that is can they deliver on the vision they have for the game. There are only really concepts thus far, which I might add almost all sound like a fantastic foundation for an mmo. Can this be delivered on, only time will tell. 
    Apart from this one concern I honestly think it is too early to be worrying about individual systems when they have yet to be developed. My hope is that with a more open development there will be some consideration given to constructive feedback from us the community.  
    A year or two from now I may well have more concerns just have to wait and see.

• Options
    Varkun said:
    As things stand now I honestly only have one concern and that is can they deliver on the vision they have for the game. There are only really concepts thus far, which I might add almost all sound like a fantastic foundation for an mmo. Can this be delivered on, only time will tell. 
    Apart from this one concern I honestly think it is too early to be worrying about individual systems when they have yet to be developed. My hope is that with a more open development there will be some consideration given to constructive feedback from us the community.  

Right, and enough combat concept was talked about to get me worried, since they said it's a hybrid between tab targetting and action combat in terms of positioning.

It sounds like it'll be aiming automatically with a few skill shots. But I want everything to be action combat, I'm not sure I can go back to auto aim after years of playing Smite, the only MMO I can play after that is BDO.. Which sucks because all the features and everything else (all the other concepts) sounds so perfect to me on an MMO.

This is why my biggest concern is combat, it's the concept itself I don't like the sound off. In two days if they keep hiding the melee combat from us in the arena stream I will most likely have to forget about this game and obviously won't fund.

I reaally hope the melee combat delivers in the stream on tuesday.
  • Options
    My bigger concern is the price of add ons. 
  • Options
    Yeah the combat seems to be my main quarrel.. It just looks really really sloooowww D:
  • Options
    I have several concerns.

1] I want a certain level of difficulty in acquiring good gear. World of Warcraft has scarred me...Raid Finder anyone? I really hate the "Oprah" style of giving epic items to everyone. Acquiring hard items should be like the good old days of Lineage...hard..hard...hard

2] I want combat to flow and be responsive. I don't want floatiness and I want good graphics for impact.

3] Meaningful PvP...I hope PvP is serious and not a gankfest..
  • Options
    Combat MUST definitely be auto-attack.  I am super lazy with arthritis and don't feel like playing the keyboard like a piano and clicking like a handjob.
  • Options
    Karthos said:

I just want friends...

• Options
    I will always be worried about crafting intricacies and cash shop prices.
  • Options
    alaequae said:
    ...and clicking like a handjob.
    Sounds like quite the awkward handjob.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I know I already posted earlier, about RP support. But reading through the comments, I too realised combat felt a bit slow and sluggish, as did the animations (I am aware this is pre-alpha, and it will likely improve) I just think we ought to mention it, before it's too late. 

As always, I'm going to put some examples up, I can only draw from past experiences. So bare with me.

My first MMO was a point and click, using the function keys for spells. Ragnarok Online. From there, our guild moved to a WoW server. I obviously loved WoW, the awe factor played a massive part, of course. And as far as tab targeting goes. WoW did it right, everything felt responsive and quick. I could turn really fast, without it feeling like the animations lagged behind. Fast forward like eight years. And I am on the forums of Star Wars The Old Republic. It was like a dream come true, Star Wars and MMO? Sign me up. (I had to miss Star Wars Galaxies, I didn't hear about it until the servers had already closed)

Naturally, I pre-planned most of my characters, how they were going to be in RP, what race, what gender, all of it. Started some forum RP before launch, all was great.

Then I got into the beta. I absorbed the stories, like a sponge, I could not get enough. So I knew I loved the game. I pre-ordered the collectors edition when it became available. And played the game for three months. Now, the question I had been asking myself, why?

I came up with several answers, the quests were packaged neatly, with voice over and stuff, but they were ultimately boring. But, then again, so were WoW quests. Why did I return there? Was it the setting? Possibly. Perhaps it was the fact that the factions never really felt at war. I didn't run into any Republic scum until level 40+. But the biggest factor was combat.

As much as I love RP, as a pass time, sometimes full time (RP was really bad, and instanced). I need a break from that at some point. And play the actual game. Combat, is often an essential part. The combat, on paper, was the same as in WoW. So why then did I prefer WoW's combat? Well, the fluidity and speed. The smooth animations. When I turn, I turn fast, and quick, I don't have to wait for the animation, in TOR, I did. Therefore, after I had done the story of my main character (Imperial Agent) I couldn't even bring myself to do the grind for my other characters. Because the combat felt stale and uninteresting.

So I thoroughly hope, that the combat in this game will feel responsive, and the animations feel fluent. It might seem like a small thing, but I think it's quite important.

Post Scriptum: Wow, sorry for the rant, that was longer than I thought.
  • Options
    VAPOURWARE is my main concern.

We have gone from kickstarter month to supplementary backer month to.....
    ...star citizen mark 2.

Please buy our cosmetic items form the shop to be used in our game that may or may not ever be made available to the public.
    NO REFUNDS for these items! Soz.
    The irony is people are actually excited about buying these 'addons' like they buy star citizens space ships. And yet another year passes by with no actual product.

Intrepid must be laughing their arse off at all you suckers. One highly paid, actor to feign sincerity. One highly successful salesman, who will say and do what ever is required to make another million. I gave them the benefit of the doubt initially. Now their very actions and wordsmanship, make the road ahead crystal clear. What ever honourable intentions were or were not there at the start, are vanishing with time, like the mist of a spring morning.

Nothing new there. No surprise. Deja Vu.
  • Options
    Kasel said:
    Varkun said:

Right, and enough combat concept was talked about to get me worried, since they said it's a hybrid between tab targetting and action combat in terms of positioning.

It sounds like it'll be aiming automatically with a few skill shots. But I want everything to be action combat, I'm not sure I can go back to auto aim after years of playing Smite, the only MMO I can play after that is BDO.. Which sucks because all the features and everything else (all the other concepts) sounds so perfect to me on an MMO.

This is why my biggest concern is combat, it's the concept itself I don't like the sound off. In two days if they keep hiding the melee combat from us in the arena stream I will most likely have to forget about this game and obviously won't fund.

I have no concerns. I applaud IS's decision to make combat viable for a wide range of players, and not only appealing to younger twitch-style players. I am sorry that you would willingly walk away from something that you say has so much else you're interested in, simply because of this decision.

I've played a lot of games, and I've played through a lot of game combat systems. IMO, to this day, WoW still has, hands-down, the best combat responsiveness -- click button, instant action. I haven't yet played a game that's been that fast/responsive. But their combat flat out sucks; you have to stand still for way too much. I enjoyed the movement of BDO, but hated the bloody combos because if you are, like me, plagued with hands that don't work as they used to, you were excluded from much "combat." Or at least the higher-point versions of combat. I like the idea of hybridizing it -- similar to what GW2 did and, also, ESO. Would hope they can get the responsiveness we had with WoW.

No, I have no concerns, and lots of gratitude.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    @Kasel

Disregarding Pre-Alpha stage, Combat-Pacing seems to be " Below Mid-Pace ". I get that - they want things to be strategically-challenging and  much more.

But I'd rather the Combat-Pacing be " Above Mid-Pace " but not Face-Paced
    ( Hence: not Hack-&-Slash )

i.e. Above Average is preferred  ; in referencing Old-Style vs " New-Style "
    ( like RuneScape vs BDO - a balance between the two - finding a balance. )

• Options
    I think you're going to see many iterations of AoC's combat system before it's all said and done.  I applaud the approach thus far with a hybrid sort of system.  This allows the dev team to not commit to one system over the other.  There's never going to be a right answer between Action oriented versus tab targeting.  Everyone has their opinion on which is the best.  In AoC's case, it's simply going to come down to trial and error to see what works and what doesn't.  
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I'm worried that I have to wait so long to get into the Beta! Lol. I want in NOW! :p

I'm also a little worried about the crafting system. I hope they make gathering a viable way to make money. I also hope they find a way to make it interesting.
  • Options
    Isende said:
    Kasel said:
    Varkun said:

I have no concerns. I applaud IS's decision to make combat viable for a wide range of players, and not only appealing to younger twitch-style players. I am sorry that you would willingly walk away from something that you say has so much else you're interested in, simply because of this decision.

I've played a lot of games, and I've played through a lot of game combat systems. IMO, to this day, WoW still has, hands-down, the best combat responsiveness -- click button, instant action. I haven't yet played a game that's been that fast/responsive. But their combat flat out sucks; you have to stand still for way too much. I enjoyed the movement of BDO, but hated the bloody combos because if you are, like me, plagued with hands that don't work as they used to, you were excluded from much "combat." Or at least the higher-point versions of combat. I like the idea of hybridizing it -- similar to what GW2 did and, also, ESO. Would hope they can get the responsiveness we had with WoW.

No, I have no concerns, and lots of gratitude.

I like how fast paced the combat is in WoW. You are right about the movement though. That is why I stick to Melee characters in WoW. I move more toward ranged in FFXIV though, howerver, the GCD length in FF drives me nuts.
  • Options
    Karthos said:

I just want friends...
    I'll protect you, precious.
  • Options
    My biggest concern is not being able to create a Lilac purple Vek, I mean does anything else even matter? 
  • Options
    My biggest concern is not being able to create a Lilac purple Vek, I mean does anything else even matter? 
    This is a serious concern people!