Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Flavour spells/skills

I find myself thinking about this game quite often, and before this, what would my ideal MMO look like (system wise)

One of the things I often come back to is flavour spells/skills. Things that aren't necessarily useless. But it makes a class less bland. I often use World of Warcraft Warlocks as an example. Spells like Ritual of doom, to summon a dangerous doomguard, it wasn't necessarily useful or practical, but it made you feel like a proper warlock. One even had to be sacrificed. This particular example reminds me of the Siege Golem Steven mentioned in an example.

But there's things like sentry totem too, eye of killrog, far sight. Eye of the Beast. Almost all of these were removed, to streamline the spellbook, but they took with it a part of class identity, and in many cases, a lot of RP potential and fun.

So, I suppose, what I am saying is, what would you guys think? Useless spells, that are really class specific and unique, because they are fun, and identify well with the class, even if they are ultimately useless in PvE/PvP? Or would you prefer just to have spells that are useful?

Comments

• Options
    I hope there is enough flavor in the useful spells to not need to have useless spells.
  • Options
    Spells should never be useless.
    If a spell is useless, it should be removed from the game.

But, in an RPG, useless is subjective.
    Cantrips, like Color Spray or Gust may seem to be insignificant when it comes to being victorious in combat, but Ashes isn't all about combat.
    So, yes, it would be nice to have seemingly insignificant spells be useful as Utility.
    Especially in similar fashion to abilities like Detect Magic or Spot Footprints.
    Perhaps Gust would be an arcane requirement to open a magic door wmore move and object without destroying the contents.

Low level abilities and spells should retain usefulness - just as we don't use a massive screwdriver to fix eyeglasses and we don't use a sledgehammer to nail a painting to a wall.
    Just because we're at max level, doesn't mean we should always be using max level abilities to complete challenges - sometimes finesse is required.
  • Options
    I love those kind of things, they make classes feel more unique. In WoW it was awesome that priests had levitate and mind control even tho they were mostly useless and mages had portals, conjured mana potions and slowfall. I wouldn't mind having something like that in AoC too!