Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How should abilities be presented ?

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited September 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
Title speaks for itself  ( Heavy Speculation down below )

My idea of Abilities, is that each class should have a broad amount of abilities. Some abilities not being directly tied to Level, but rather indirectly 
referencing different types of EXP Lvl - Artisan EXP Lvl, Skill EXP Lvl, Ability EXP Lvl, etc ... )

Despite how meaningless my opinions might be, I've been thinking of how the Abilities of Archetypes could be in terms of ... " Categories " . The Title Speaks for itself but I'll definitely elaborate (:3)

( This one is no different than whats already known ... you can skip this if you want )

Each Archetype has its own respective abilities that adds emphasis to its name - displaying numerous capabilities, having it's own " Pros " & " Cons " . The Core of each classes' abilities will be expressed through the First Archetype. In other words, the " Primary-Archetype " will dictate the Role of the Character.
 As such, the Primary Classes' abilities are only a fragment ; it'll still be usable & effective, but not having unlocking its full-potential. Thus, the Secondary Class selection will solidify the abilities & Overall-Role. 

Having Hybrid Tanks, Hybrid DPS, and Hybrid Healers
(including Secondary-Healers & Secondary-Tanks )

Their purpose is to assist in Crafting - to enchant Crafting Material(s). Similar to Artisan Enchantment, but not exactly. Enchanting works on equipment . " This " will work on Crafting Materials. At the same time , its an Ability that can used in Combat

... or they can just make Enchanting highly
 in-depth ?   :o:o

Once the Crafting Material(s) is enchanted, then it can be combined with their abilities to make new ones - including Non-Magic Archetypes 
(via Fighter, Ranger, Tank and Rogue )

This MMO is set in a High-Fantasy World. So i personally thought that all Archetypes should be able to obtain these spells by via seeking them throughout the in-game world OR visiting a Magical Library within the Node

This category comprises of all the Elemental Magic  - Wind, Fire, Water, Dark, Earth, Light, etc ... ( anymore ? ). Including a Healing Spell - but nothing like Cleric's Healing Spells nor the Mage's Magic-Spells

While these abilities can be used for Combat ... there's a twist. These Basic-Magic Spells cannot inflict as much damage compared to the Mage nor Heal as much compared to the Cleric-class  . But they can be Leveled-Up. For example:

• You find an Ore, you imbued it with ... " Basic-Wind Spell " , then you obtained a "Wind Ore". then you can make something out of it based on your Artisan
  • You find Thread, you imbued it with ... " Basic-Earth Spell ", then you obtained an " Earth Thread " . then you can make something out of it based on your Artisan.
Then
  • This newly-constructed " Wind Ore " or " Earth Thread ", imbued together again with different abilities.

But it won't be a ... " Linear Progression ", instead they can affected by every ability
****(including Main-Class Abilities)**** - all with a different result 

In other words, you're altering the ... " Base-Composition " of the Crafting-Material in order to make something entirely different in the long-run - including Abilities. Initially, it seem that Abilities are irrelevant, but it does - by making new abilities 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought so much on this because, I really like the idea of
" Skilled Player vs High-Level / High-Geared Player " ... but not quite sure how to convey it. I personally think, " this " ( above ), would be a nice start. And since all of this is not necessarily tied to Player Level, it is tied to other EXP Levels and their connection towards one another.

(or rather, i tried to convey a connection between one another in this long-suggestion)

What do you think ? bad idea ?

More importantly, I hope this clarify a lot of the initial post.
How do you think abilities should be represented ?

Comments

• Options
    Are you meaning visual effects of the abilities or the skill tree? If you mean visual effects, I like the kind of aesthetic they have shown for the pre-alpha mage, where effects are easily telegraphed to onlookers. I'm not a fan of "numerical" oriented abilities that are presented by floating numbers. Nor am I a fan of overdone cartoony effects that become migraine inducing in a raid or after hours of gameplay. So yeah, I like the boring non-controversial middle ground in this case :confused:
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    lexmax said:
    " Are you meaning visual effects of the abilities or the skill tree? If you mean visual effects ...
    I purposely made it vague, but not necessarily

Mainly, should there only be Class-related Abilities ? Or other types ?
    I know Devs mentioned Utility Ability & Ultimate Ability ... but it seems to be only just 1 singular ability for the other two - not necessarily a category 

( Hence a Plethora of Abilities )

so in other words ...

Should there be a Plethora of Ability Categories ? or is it just fine how it is ?
  • Options
    I don't know what you mean by a "plethora of ability categories or fine how it is."
    We have a plethora of augment categories.

• Options
    I don't know if my confusion speaks for yourself because I'm not sure what you're asking haha!
    I assume there will be class related abilities, class abilities, probably skill abilities you get from specific 'profession' levels. If you used two class types would be cool to get a few combined spells... Archers firing arrows that drain mana etc :)

Feel free to slap me if I'm making no sense haha!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @Zid
    Ah. Yes.
    We use the abilities of the secondary archetype to augment the abilities of the primary archetype.

But, we also get Racial augments and augments from Racial, Social, Guild and Naval progression.
  • Options
    Don't underestimate my Navel *snorts* abilities 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    lmfao, guess i should've been more lucid ... I'll Heavily edited it then 
    ( since i can't delete thread  :p )

EDIT: also going to add a lot ... its done
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    ... Lols