Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I'll admit, i'm excited!

I've been accused of being excitable before.. not in the past 10 years, but in any case, i really feel like there's something going on here that could really be the 'missing piece' in terms of MMOs. 

At least, really I hope so.
My girlfriend probably doesn't hope so.  She hates it when I switch into crazy gamer mode. Lucky for her, December 2018 is a ways off  :p

Anywhohow, I feel like I've started and stopped a lot of MMOs over the years, but I guess that isn't really accurate.   Free2Play MMOs are basically all I've dealt with over the past 10 years, and admittedly, you get what you paid for. I expect everyone in this forum is sick and tired of the Pay2Win model of games. 

The last subscription I had was for FFXIV, which was certainly a very pretty game, and quite enjoyable while content lasted, I would say that the game impacted me, but I never felt that I was impacting the game, and when that two-way aspect is missing, I find it hard to stay interested.

Two of my favorite games, over time, have been EVE and Wurm, at least, in terms of concept.  
Eve was a subscription based model, with the caveat that you could pay for your monthly subscription using in game currency, if you could manage to amass enough each month.  Challenge accepted.  Lots of fun just trading in Eve to make money.  But that's all I really did in the game. Flying around in space and shooting at tiny dots isn't really my bag.

Wurm, (an ancestor of Minecraft), in its infancy, was truly a breath of fresh air, and didn't really require a subscription to enjoy.  The world was fresh and new, and each person in it could have a direct impact on how that world evolved.  The engine was very simple, perhaps by necessity, but it was truly a game where everything I did had an impact on the world, and players really worked together to flourish. 

Well, anyway, here I am, hoping to find a game that really delivers on the promise of a player impacted world.  

In particular, looking forward to the possibility of:

Visually Stunning
Player driven economy
Player driven civilization
No two servers alike
Fun with caravans
Organizing/participating in a trader's guild of sorts.

and hoping that the game isn't:

A grind fest
Pay 2 win
Just showing up to do my dailies
Setting aside three hours each day to do instanced Raids
Factional.
Full of spammers
Full of cheaters
Full of hackers
Full of griefers

I really hope that the designers can pull it off! 

Comments

• Options
    @Wraeven you have said everything in my heart and more! Welcome welcome to our community :)
  • Options

Well so far all your hope nots are most likely not going to happen ^^ 
    Welcome to our community!
  • Options
    Welcome @Wraeven! Girlfriend's are overrated! ...bah....don't mind me, I'm just a grumpy old Dwarf who needs a bed and a pipe. Hope you both enjoy Ashes!
  • Options
    @Wraeven 
    a warm welcome to the Community! Thank you for supporting our Project. I love the list of items that peek your interests. As a fellow gamer myself, I am totally stoked for this!!!
  • Options
    Welcome @Wraeven! This will be you new home for years to come :)
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum! *throws confetti*

• Options
    Hello @Wraeven o/ and welcome to the community smile
  • Options
    Welcome to the community may you have as good a time as i am :)
  • Options
    Welcome! Plenty of good times await here! 
  • Options
    Welcome @Wraeven, I hope you find every second as enjoyable as I do! Long live Ashes!
  • Options
    Welcome @Wraeven!!!! 
  • Options
    Welcome to the community. Hope you have fun on the forum.
  • Options
    Welcome! You should try to lure your girlfriend to play too :wink:
  • Options
    Welcome welcome to the community of AoC XD
  • Options
    This game will set the bar for MMO's in my personal opinion :wink:

• Options
    Welcome to the community, @Wraeven!  We have lots of helpful people around here, so don't hesitate to ask questions.
  • Options
    Rofus said:
    Welcome! You should try to lure your girlfriend to play too :wink:

I lured her into Pokemon Go, by accident.. now she plays much more than I do. Heheh... but, no, we like very different things when it comes to entertainment. I perceive that this would not be her thing.

I continue to be impressed, just by the sheer quantity and quality of welcoming I've encountered.  What an encouraging crowd!
  • Options
    Welcome!
  • Options
    @wraeven Welcome! Nailed it on the head on your post. Lot of high hopes for Ashes and I do dislike all these F2P mmos sprouting. Fun for a few hours then exactly the same.

Regarding FFXIV it is a great MMO and I've played a fair share of it, 1500+ hours lol. And my major gripe is it feels like a single player game with MMO elements.
  • Options
    Welcome @Wraeven, all crazy gamers are welcome here. (at least I hope so) :p

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Welcome @Wraeven ! Your excitement is shared by everyone on here! :D