Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

So will this game be...?

true pay 2 convenience or "pay 2 convenience" where you are so limited in the default game that you must buy "convenience" to do something for more than 10 minutes *cough* BDO *cough*

???

Comments

• Options
    Pay2LookPretty
  • Options
    No. There will be a cash shop to have pets, mounts, costumes. These items will not have a P2W or P2C aspect. None of that pay 20,000g for a 30 day token. This game will provide plenty of achievable ingame options and the cash shop is just more options for mounts pets etc.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    No. There will be a cash shop to have pets, mounts, costumes. These items will not have a P2W or P2C aspect. None of that pay 20,000g for a 30 day token. This game will provide plenty of achievable ingame options and the cash shop is just more options for mounts pets etc.
    This^
  • Options
    People have been burned so many times that when they see something that looks too good to be true they just can't believe it. As stated right now, and since the inception of the game development, there will be no box cost or p2win ever. The only thing you will ever have to buy is the monthly sub, even future content will released as part of that subscription. There will be a cosmetic shop, that is it. No restrictions on your character, no varied sub levels, no buying subs with in game gold or tokens ala WOW or EVE.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    @UnknownSystemError
    As much as i hate saying it but, that's based on Alpha and/or Beta. But its mostly based on the Success of Launch. If the multitude of Subscriptions don't ad up / don't last as long based on a ... " Pre-determined Quota " ..

( i.e. Intrepid is expecting a certain amount of Company's Funds based on " X " amount of Subscribers to be at  ... " (Greater-than-or-Equal-to " ( >= ) " Y " amount of Funds )

then they might be forced to change Business Model. And thus Void the Life-Time Subscriptions 

( hence: the Lifetime Subscriptions could potentially become meaningless. Thus making it a Gamble ... but hey thats what WoW did too. Only difference is that WoW didn't have much Competition - for its time, the Engine was deemed " more-advanced" than the Rest, Lore was also publicized before release of the MMO
     ( thus building " Pre-Hype "  )

and ... it was one of the MMOs that was Marketed / Publicized on Television - attracting even more audiences ... because who doesn't watch TV, right ? :p  

Lastly, WoW Vets have many Fond memories of it ... and maybe more stuff i didn't mention )

( Duly Note: I do not like WoW, I've just done some research )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Despite all of this, this MMO has Greater Chances than others - its not trying to Copy WoW, and Currently ... the MMO Market sucks a$$ ( pun intended with the " $ "  :'( ), and thus opens the Doors for more " MMO Seekers "out there

So in short, the " Cons " sadly favor over the  " Pros " of the entirety of this MMOs success - but only slightly . But " Pros " do seem to higher than most MMOs I've seen.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    All-in-all, there's much to consider. Out all of the research i did, this ( below ) discourages me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JciZoOKWWYg
    ( Feel free to watch the whole thing ... but *1:12 - 1:24* is important imho)

This other one (below) might be something of interest
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he1KcDAPBr4
  • Options
    But like i stated, this MMO has the most potential I've seen so far compared to any other MMO ( my opinion ) In fact, this MMO is my Highest-Anticipated MMO out of all the Rest. 

I'm not trying to be Toxic, but I'm just " saying it like is " - it'll all depend on Alpha, Beta, and Mostly ( if not Mainly ) Launch

• Options
    @Eragale All good points. And so many of us have bought into promises from the big boys in the past. SWTOR, ESO, and a slew of others that promised never to go f2p p2win and within a year had burned everyone that had invested time and heart into those games. But I feel a huge difference between those, WOW, and this is the small size of an indie studio without the baggage of other titles and public stock investors that have to be appeased to the profit margin.

Cost of maintaining and upgrading servers had dropped precipitously in recent years. Where other games in the past to have multiple region servers needed to pay and maintain staff in those areas to keep their servers up and running, now it can all be cloud based with no need to pay someone to move to Australia, Brazil or others, or hire local engineers to maintain the game.

Every new game experiences an initial surge in subs, that taper off and stabilize over the course of the first year. Barring any huge mistakes, if the potential is realized, they will have a huge cash cow. Let's say Steven drops 30 million to get the game to launch on top of the KS and other crowdfunding. Close to 20000 people were in the KS. The number of people with lifetime subs was between 3-4000 before the summer backing. Lets say another 1000 came on board or upgraded. That is 5k people that they won't ever get money from except from cosmetic sales. But if they can add a consistent 50k people subbed and keep that level for first couple years, he will have made his money back plus a small ROI. If it goes absolutely nuts it could be much faster. All hypothetical of course.

Even games that went f2p, (LOTRO for example) that had lifetime sub people managed to take care of those people. There are still people who play LOTRO today who have the lifetime sub, they just get the benefits of what someone who buys their f2p sub. I am not worried about the game going f2p anytime soon after launch. If it does I will be angry and upset like many will, but you rolls the dice and you takes your chances.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @Eragale

Look at The Secret World. They started by P2P model, also selling lifetime subscriptions. Then they changed to B2P, but kept subscription as optional commodity offering you some boosts and bonuses, but not necessary to actually play.

All players that had lifetime subscription kept it, even though lifetime subscription wasn't selling anymore at this point (new players could not buy it anymore, they could have only subscribed normally).

Then developers re-released the game again (Secret World Legends) now as F2P, still keeping optional subscription (patron status) for extra boosts. Again every player that had lifetime subscription received patron for life status.

My point, the fact that game model changes does not mean people would lose lifetime subscription, and that lifetime subscription is a gamble.
  • Options
    @FalcorPIX. The Staff have promoted the fact that they want a game of which it is not P2W which I think is great as it is much easier for people like me who are teenagers who can't get a job yet but by the time the game realises I might a stable job. But the only P2W aspect is the Kickstarter but I don't really see it as an advantage but more of a return from the business giving you in-game items (mostly cosmetics) for the money they need to make the game. :smile:
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @Gothix

I do hope for the utmost best in this MMO's Success. And, of course, there are many examples of what could happen. Best to do is to promote this MMO & hope for the best ... just not in a bad way 

( because I've seen comments on YouTube in which the YouTube User doesn't mention that their " Link to the WebSite " is a referral link ... and that might
    give Ashes of Creation a Bad Rep  :'(:'(:'(:'( )
  • Options
    There will be no P2W or P2Advance scenarios as we know it. Cash shop is exclusively targeting cosmetics. IS wants the Community to enjoy the game and not have to fork over inordinate amounts of cash to reach a competitive status =)
  • Options
    This aspect was what got me to pledge during the Kickstarter.

This game could flip (it won't) and I'll still feel it was money well spent just showing the industry that this is what games want, not the nickel and dime tactic of pay-walls around every turn that are "optional" but in reality essential to stay competitive.
  • Options
    AeonAuron said:
    Pay2LookPretty
    That's the only game that matters....
  • Options
    The main reason I don't think this game will change to P2W is because of the subscription model itself. The larger the subscriber base the more passive income IS will make. Therefore even if they are purely in it for the money rather than passion for the genre, it makes financial sense to keep the paying subscriber base happy rather than risk undermining their cash cow for a short term cash grab.
  • Options
    Warkov said:
    AeonAuron said:
    Pay2LookPretty
    That's the only game that matters....