Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Lore: What We Know

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited July 2017 in Ashes of Creation Lore
What do we currently know about the lore of AoC, can someone post some links if they don't mind.

Comments

• Options

We may not know much about lore, but we understand from the above that these people have existed without magic for so long that it could hardly be considered anything other than a myth.

I imagine for any people to suddenly find themselves in a world where magic is real, and further to that, a world where magic is a real threat... well, there would probably be a very serious stigma, in some communities, around the practice of magic.

I don't know about other races, but in my experience with humanity, just the idea of magic and that sort of thing tends to be frowned upon by large groups of people.  When people don't understand something properly they tend either to revere it or despise it.

Perhaps our lore will have room for a large anti-magic movement?

• Options
    Wraeven said:

We may not know much about lore, but we understand from the above that these people have existed without magic for so long that it could hardly be considered anything other than a myth.

I imagine for any people to suddenly find themselves in a world where magic is real, and further to that, a world where magic is a real threat... well, there would probably be a very serious stigma, in some communities, around the practice of magic.

I don't know about other races, but in my experience with humanity, just the idea of magic and that sort of thing tends to be frowned upon by large groups of people.  When people don't understand something properly they tend either to revere it or despise it.

Perhaps our lore will have room for a large anti-magic movement?

I think that the Gods - will be our mentors through our Ashes experience and they will guide us to use our magic ( and give us confidence). It may be similar to the npc pop up guide thing in bdo. We know that the gods exist and I imagine the gods still existed in the non magic world (even if it were through stories and legend - alongside the magic)

There may be groups of npcs that refuse to use the magic but we players are part of a chosen expedition team to go explore the new world so I'm sure we are curious enough to learn magic if it's something we've heard from tales :)

Ofcrouse this is all speculation so who knows :O
  • Options
    The lore is just what you call guide lines

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Another thought... there's all this talk of expedition and establishing new communities and such, in this new world and that's all well and good.. but all these people are coming through from an already established society.. it's been around for over a thousand years.. it stands to reason that there would be a large push to take resources from this newly accessible land and send them back to the established society on the other side of the portal.  

Certainly i I do not anticipate being able to pass back and forth through the portal in the game... it really sounds like a one way trip to magic land... But will it make any sense from a plot perspective?

perhaps matter from the magic world does not survive transfer to the mundane world in a useful form...

perhaps using the gate gate more than once or regularly is too dangerous for some reason.... 

thirsty for more lore! 

Edit: 

Perhaps a reasonable solution to this situation.   The people left their magic home from necessity and arrived at a non-magic destination.  This probably sucked, but had to be done, for the sake of survival.

Perhaps there was even a period of withdrawl, as it were.. people having to adapt to being cut off from the magical source. 

1000(s) years later, a generation for whom this land is only a myth (or something less than that), a people who were meant to be connected to that magical source, feel that connection for the first time, and it becomes an addiction for them.  

They were always dimly aware that something in their lives was missing, and now, having come home and 'reconnected' to their magic world of origin, they are finally made whole... if that were the case, I could understand the reluctance to go back to the mundane world, if it could possibly be avoided.