Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What if each Archetype had its own unique U.I. ? In order to express its PlayStyle ?

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited July 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
What if each Archetype had its own unique U.I. / Combat-Style ? 
In order to better-express it's PlayStyle ?

(Title ran out of room ... so the above it the True Question >.<

My first thought would be that ... it might make Production too long. Whereas, it's probably best to stay focused on the Core of the Game first.
( i.e. The Four Pillars )

( wouldn't " this " be polishing ?  ... or would it be considered ... " too ambitious " ?.)

Comments

• If it didn't delay the release of the game, then I say "Go for it!"  Within the one MMORPG I have stuck with for over a decade now due to the complexity of how one build's their character and the fight mechanics (all the others I have grown bored of fairly quickly for I do not really enjoy a simplistic combat style), I have developed three different layouts of my window screen in my UI.  I use one for my healers where spells that do the exact same function are in the exact same spot no matter which of my 7 healer classes I am on.  For example, my direct heals are in the exact same hotbar, my cures are in the exact same hotbar, my buffs are in the exact same hotbars, debuffs are in the exact same hotbar, etc.  That way, no matter which healer I am playing at the moment, I can easily navigate to the spells I need.  It doesn't help me maximize a toon, but it does help me quickly acclimate on the occasional time when I need to bring a non-chain healer for a battle.  I have done the same will all of my mages so that I have a general feel for the layout of where everything is located, although they do tend to have more differences between them than my healers do so it can get tricky, but my dispel and roots/snares/slows are always in the same spot on each. 

So, yes, I think it would be really cool if each archetype had their own UI specialized for what they do, whether it is for tanks, healers, mages, scouts, etc.  But I do agree with Eragale in that I wouldn't want to see it delay the release of the game. 

• @Shakacon
    After reading what i typed, what i meant is ...

a Unique Combat-Style, as opposed to U.I. 
    However, the U.I. do seem to correlate with the U.I. 

Sorry >.<
  • @Eragale,

Hey, no worries at all!  /smile

If I had a dollar for every time I posted something that I wanted to change later because I made a typo or was unclear in my words, etc. then I would be rich.  It is especially hard on these forums because they don't let you edit once you have posted your comment.

• @Shakacon , Lols i know the Feeling  :D
  • This could be done easily through mods after launch. I'm following too many games to remember which game is allowing mods so I may be talking out of my butt.

By UI elements do you mean like what FFXIV recently did with each class having their own little UI that keeps track of their resource? If so that'd be interesting but we might end up with plain old health, stamina, and mana.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    @Loyheta  As in ...

Well ... each different type of game (whether that console or PC ) have development a " certain camera angle " / POV : 
    • Such FPS games have 1st-Person ( Halo, Call of Duty, etc .. )
    • Games like " Hyrule Warriors " or KingdomHearts with its .. 3rd Person (?)
    • Metal Gear Solid has mixtures of the 2 above on certain missions 
    • etc ...
    What if each Archetype were to alternate ? 
    That or ... well it could alternate 
    solely between Missions, as opposed to overall Gameplay 
  • What if warrior classes got their spells/abilities from armour. Mage/Magic classes get their spells from specific tomes/crystals/relics they carry. Rogue classes get their skill set from specific weapons/I.O.Us/dice/information gained through sneakiness! 

Why make the UI different when one could make the feel of each class fundamentally interesting and fluid in a fun way that adds novelty and depth to lore? 

Although I 100% think this approach would make the development team cry trying to deliver so many variations of [The Smoking King's Lucky Dice] - gives Rogues the ability to lay down a smoke cloud in which all damage has a 25% to miss. :D
  • Would have made a good KS stretch goal......
  • Eragale said:
    @Shakacon
    After reading what i typed, what i meant is ...
    a Unique Combat-Style, as opposed to U.I. 
    From everything I've seen this is what they seem to be going for. Right now it looks like the mage and ranger have quite different combat styles, as do the other classes. Is that what you mean? (video link)
  • Shakacon said:

@Eragale,

If I had a dollar for every time I posted something that I wanted to change later because I made a typo or was unclear in my words, etc. then I would be rich.  It is especially hard on these forums because they don't let you edit once you have posted your comment.

Ummm...if you don't have a little gear wheel in the upper right corner of your posts then you have a problem. Click on that and there is an edit function. As someone that types faster than his brain spells I have used it all the time to clean up my rants.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    @lexmax While the explanation is fair, a visual is highly-preferred ... lols so you
     " could " say that i technically answered my own question but not necessarily  :D
  • Shakacon said:

@Eragale,

Ummm...if you don't have a little gear wheel in the upper right corner of your posts then you have a problem. Click on that and there is an edit function. As someone that types faster than his brain spells I have used it all the time to clean up my rants.
    I thought the same, but i figured it was a minor error. Unless you've been unable to edit post at all @Shakacon ?
  • Eragale said:
    @lexmax While the explanation is fair, a visual is highly-preferred ... lols so you
     " could " say that i technically answered my own question but not necessarily  :D
    I see what you mean :) I guess we'll be seeing something a little more visual at PAX.
  • Eragale said:
    @Loyheta  As in ...

Well ... each different type of game (whether that console or PC ) have development a " certain camera angle " / POV : 
    • Such FPS games have 1st-Person ( Halo, Call of Duty, etc .. )
    • Games like " Hyrule Warriors " or KingdomHearts with its .. 3rd Person (?)
    • Metal Gear Solid has mixtures of the 2 above on certain missions 
    • etc ...
    What if each Archetype were to alternate ? 
    That or ... well it could alternate 
    solely between Missions, as opposed to overall Gameplay 
    Oh I see what you mean... A game that did this and I like would be Nier. You start off the game as 2d shootem up, changes to a bullet hell, then a 3rd person tunnel shooter, then to a 3rd person hack and slash, then a side scroller, then a isometric. It was pretty crazy and changed depending on what you were doing.
  • @Loyheta Didn't even know about it, but if that's true, then yeah - similar to it >~<
  • This sounds like it will make the game shiny as fuck.

i love shiny things :D