Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Identifying Another Player

Albeit probably not the best idea ... but ...

Usually in an MMO, Players character easily identify another Player just based on how  the Character Moves ( both out-of-combat & in-combat ), Character's Armor/ Clothing ( referring how distinct it is compared to other NPCs in the area ) ,NamePlates, and possibly others

What if all of these aspects were to be ... " unidentifiable " ; making it hard to distinct between the two ( NPC & Player )? I'd imagine that this, would require heavy-polishing, but i think its something worth thinking about  :)

What do you think ?

Comments

• There is an aspect of accountability that this would circumvent. If someone attacks you, you should be able to know who attacked you.

I think it would be cool if we didn't have hovering name tags, I hate those for reasons of immersion, but also because it clutters the interface. I do however think you should be able to see someone's name if you target them.

As to whether or not you should know if they are an NPC? I don't think that is in any way necessary to play the game, so I would support not knowing. 
  • I think it would be beneficial to know the difference between players and npcs otherwise you'll see a lot of people running up to you looking for a quest as if you are a npc
  • " I think it would be beneficial to know the difference between players and npcs otherwise you'll see a lot of people running up to you looking for a quest as if you are a npc "
    Lols, thats the opposite of what i had in mind tbh. But i guess i see what you mean 

• I spent an embarrassing moment chatting to NPCs in a certain game before I realized they weren't PCs :blush: I don't mind if PCs and NPCs are hard to distinguish. In fact I think NPCs that stand in one spot forever and have giant exclamations marks floating over them can be a bit immersion breaking for me. Maybe give new players the option to turn that kind of thing on? I don't really have a strong opinion either way.
  • I think the gold standard would be mmo simulator expansion to goat simulator xD

It includes people being a-holes, spamming, rubber banding, camping, dumb names, and everything else you'd ever seen in an mmo.
  • lexmax said:
    I spent an embarrassing moment chatting to NPCs in a certain game before I realized they weren't PCs :blush: I don't mind if PCs and NPCs are hard to distinguish. In fact I think NPCs that stand in one spot forever and have giant exclamations marks floating over them can be a bit immersion breaking for me. Maybe give new players the option to turn that kind of thing on? I don't really have a strong opinion either way.
    hahahaha Was that you talking to me? I used to stand in different areas at times and imitated NPC's.  Back in DAOC I believe,  we could also put ourselves on follow with an NPC that was walking patrol on the walls we were defending. That was fun also.
  • Really I am in favor of visually not being able to tell the difference I just think it's better to be able to tell once you target them..
  • I like the different looks. Identifying specific players by their gears/clothes/aesthetics is good, it let's you know who to attack or who to run from..

"Oh, there's that guy in pink robes again, let's not fight him, he 1 shot me last time."
    "Oh, there's that guy in blue robes, he is tough to take down, let's get a few more players over here to help."

I think aesthetics is a great way to assist in a PvP game. Seems counterproductive to make everyone look the same in a game based on cosmetic skins and appearance get-ups.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    No. I want you to admire my beautiful face as I rush to you. I want you to lay your eyes upon the Magnifique guild set which cost 125 fucking $!
    I want you to acknowledge the sight of the blade I spent months to craft and refine!
    And holy crap I don't want to see 100 people looking the same running around the street! I had my fill with Matrix.
    edited August 2017
    Should there be uniforms ? There is institutions you can belong to so its not inconceivable such memberships comes with associated apparel.
    Guards wear the colours of the social groups they represent, much like guild tabards.

So although it makes sense, I would also hate to see the people ability for individual expression dumbed down to no uniquely identifiable features.

I guess the best answer would be something between....such as a cloak, ensign, tabard or similar. Something that show a social allegiance without making the looks of all the other gear redundant.
  •   I can't count the times I thought I was following my partner through the wilderness only to catch up and realize  it was someone else.  OK, I laugh, then I have to find my way back to him and feel bad because I wasted his time.  

Towns are usually very populated by players and npc's.  Because some players will be similar to others I would like to be able to at least have names show if I target them
    Also these same towns will have npc's scattered all over.  Not being able to recognize them just adds more confusion and needless running around.  I have all day, many others work or have other things to do besides trying to figure out who an NPC  or a player is.

Many games have the options to turn name tags or titles off.  I think Ashes should also.
  • Flameh0t said:
    " ... I think aesthetics is a great way to assist in a PvP game. Seems counterproductive to make everyone look the same in a game based on cosmetic skins and appearance get-ups. "
    Not at all what i meant. Quite the opposite
  • @CylverRayne lols uderstandable 
  • Waysm said:
    No. I want you to admire my beautiful face as I rush to you. I want you to lay your eyes upon the Magnifique guild set which cost 125 fucking $!
    I want you to acknowledge the sight of the blade I spent months to craft and refine!
    And holy crap I don't want to see 100 people looking the same running around the street! I had my fill with Matrix.
    I think the idea isn't so much dumb down what players look like as much as bring npcs up to the level of looks as players
  • Immersion... This is a game, stop bringing your lives to the game, bring the game to your lives, Graphics and sounds much better outside of game and you don't hinder others gameplay with you weird ideas.

Player must be able to distinguish his targets.

edited November 2017
    Awe said: " ... don't hinder others gameplay with you weird ideas ... "

Weird ? lols okay. You never know, it could be one the best things about Ashes ^.~
  • Got to think outside-the-box sometimes  :p
  •  Many games have the options to turn name tags or titles off.  I think Ashes should also.
    This^^. We should allow for choice where possible and practical, and then the gaming experience can be tailored to fit individual needs, and players will be happier for it.
  • Name tags aren't necessary to identify someone you are in combat with, as long as combat log shows his name.

However, I would like to be able to recognize my friends while roaming through world and running into them.

Not knowing who is near me would just be silly.