Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Favorite skill trees?

From the dev discussions it looks like we will be able to specialize our skills/character using some sort of skill tree.  What are some of your favorite skill trees from previous games and why?

The original WoW trees worked for me for a long time, but eventually I found them to be bland; there ended up being one build that worked and hybrid builds were rarely viable. The current implementation there is really bland imo - the talents do to little to change how you play.

Personally I loved the concept of the Path of Exile skill tree where everyone shares the same tree but starts in a different location. This can lead to a ton of variations, but suboptimal builds can be really punishing.

Wildstar/GW2 have similar systems where you level up abilities that gain new functions when a certain number of points have been invested. I find these systems interesting because they can result in several builds that are better at different tasks/environments.

At the end of the day I prefer deeper customization through skill augments, but I understand that can lead to a nightmare for balance. Let me know what you think!

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    Just one of your skill trees from Skyforge... there are two others!!

And Final Fantasy X

• Options
    I used to love the good old skill tree system in vanilla WoW, 3 different trees for each class and it was simple and felt rewarding. I liked the system Wildstar has but it felt like only the highest tier augments were worth anything.

ESO had a really simple system and it was really easy to get into. I don't think the system should be too complex as I don't care that much about min-maxing.
  • Options
    This is only an sample size of Archeage's tree system which to me leaves you with endless play styles which i like.
  • Options
    xschlemmx said:
    This is only an sample size of Archeage's tree system which to me leaves you with endless play styles which i like.
    Good, except the really odd reasoning behind giving us level 55 skills but not the points required to use them until we hit 55, which wasn't released for months and months... Broke the game for a long time for many classes. 
  • Options
    @karthos i agree it was broken for some time, really the only downfall of their class tree system
  • Options
    At the end of the day the specializations ought to change the way you play.  Additional abilities or flat dmg/healing/reduction increases are boring.  I find modifying current skills and their interactions to be much more interesting.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017

Gotta love the surprise when you're leveling up and suddenly a new skill appears.

Full 3rd Job Builder: http://ratemyserver.net/skill_sim.php?jid=4062

• Options
    +Grim Dawn -class combination and Devotion system
    +Everquest 2 AA system-pretty massive and well sorted differs from  Poe tree(even if design is not so good)
    +Crowfall skill tree