Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What the children

Will Ashes have Children ?
Some MMo that I have played mysteriously have no children ...hmmm

Comments

• Options
    Since it contains a pretty serious amount of PvP and you CAN kill NPCs, I believe the DEV confirmed 'no kids'. But nothing stops you to manipulate the character creator sliders to make a little person! 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    Your MMOs don't have children because some people like to make twisted videos of them doing stuff to them. Then the game becomes a target of outraged SJWs with nothing else to complain about. Players love to game the system, and any MMO that comes with a set of animated emotes as almost all do, they find ways to pose characters doing all sorts of stuff. Throw child npcs into the mix and you have a developer nightmare. So don't expect to see children in Ashes. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XymI8-QeFrY

• Options
    ahh yes I forgot the bottomless pit of trolls in the world, that makes total sense and if I was a Dev i would NEVER create Children in light of what you guys have taught me today,
  • Options
    Mozsta69 said:
    ahh yes I forgot the bottomless pit of trolls in the world, that makes total sense and if I was a Dev i would NEVER create Children in light of what you guys have taught me today,
    What's possibly doable however is that you might be able to set other players as parents or children. I mean, the races are decently long lived I believe and 'marriage' was confirmed. So there MIGHT be a 'Family' system 'a la' LOTRO. Just, no kiddies. 
  • Options
    GW2 has kids in the towns, quite a lot of MMO's feature uninteractable NPC kids.

I don't think AoC will have any kids though because unlike other MMO's, the towns in AoC can be raided and destroyed. It's not considered acceptable to really throw kids into a city slaughter game.
  • Options
    @Fanzhon Great points , yes a city slaughter game should not have any children totally agree come to think of it
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    In many games the overt sexualization of children, or even adult characters made to look like children for the same purpose, has become a problem.

The 2nd part is problematic because no children are required. So it makes a nonsense of a no children stance.

There are also those who get there rocks off destroying the weak and innocent, to which children and pets are iconic.

There is a deeper problem here than having children in a game. Which is why I welcome the corruption system. Its a good mechanic to impose rules for the purposes acceptable and unacceptable conduct in game.
  • Options
    In many games the overt sexualization of children, or even adult characters made to look like children for the same purpose, has become a problem.

The 2nd part is problematic because no children are required. So it makes a nonsense of a no children stance.

There are also those who get there rocks off destroying the weak and innocent, to which children and pets are iconic.

There is a deeper problem here than having children in a game. Which is why I welcome the corruption system. Its a good mechanic to impose rules for the purposes acceptable and unacceptable conduct in game.
    Yes agree totally need a justice system like im used to in ESO 
  • Options
    i know its not exactly the same but you get my drift 
  • Options
    I think there will if only to make the world seem a bit more fleshed out, although I don't think they will be common.
  • Options
    Would be ok to have children running around and playing or crying depending on what's happening BUT you should not be able to attack them.  
  • Options
    I'd like for children to exist in the game simply for lore and immersion. I understand that it could be bad but I agree with Crymoar here.
    Crymoar said:
    Would be ok to have children running around and playing or crying depending on what's happening BUT you should not be able to attack them.  

• Options
    I guess since we are coming through gateways or something the kids are kept in the safe space till they're old enough. 
  • Options
    I guess since we are coming through gateways or something the kids are kept in the safe space till they're old enough. 
    yes thats the story im running with in my mind....i certainly wouldnt take a child through any portal
  • Options
    As much as It would increase the realism of the world to add children, I'm glad they will not due to as state sick and twisted people ruining a good reped game.
  • Options
    I remember how weird it was without children running around in Oblivion but the decision not to implement children is a good one.