Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

PVP question.

In another thread the following guide was linked to explain how the pvp system works.

http://www.ashesofcreation-the-odyssey.com/2017/07/pvp-flagging-and-corruption-system.html

Let me preface this by saying I could be misinterpreting information or the info may be outdated or wrong.
     Now if I understand this correctly, in order for a green player to prevent dying and possibly losing gathered materials, he needs to fight back turning his pvp status to purple. Purple status, however incurs an "Experience Debt" which I'm not sure what exactly this means. Isn't this being punished for defending yourself?
     The attacker only get corruption points if the attacked green player doesn't fight back. Meaning you have to let yourself die and lose material in order for the attacking player to be "Punished". Is this how it works? Because it seems to discourage pvp rather than promote it.
Edited for spelling errors.

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    If you fight back, you do become purple , but, when you are purple the death penalty is actually lower than when you die as a green player. 
    You are correct on the second part though. If you don't defend yourself you remain green and upon killing you the attacker becomes red. But like i said above, dying as a green player has a higher penalty than dying as a purple player, so you have to pick whether you want to get the pker flagged as red and have a higher death penalty, or fight back to possibly win but even if you lose you get a lower dealth penalty.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    1.  All deaths incur an experience debt but red has triple the experience debt. 
    2. Irregardless if you die for pve or pvp you have durability loss and a chance of dropping some raw materials - these are not pvp only risks.
    3.  The purpose of the corruption system is to punish those that attack players that don't want to partake in pvp - e.g even those that don't want to defend.
    4. If a defending player defends against an attack they are both considered as combatants and thus won't become corrupt because both parties agree to the pvp.
    5. Imo the system isn't there to discourage pvp or encourage it - it's there to promote an agreeable combat between players, for those that' pursue without another's agreement then they are punished.
    Ashes is about meaningful conflict rather than outright pvp.

The system needs trialed and tested and alphas and betas will help us understand where it needs to be improved etc :) 
  • Options
    Basically dying in any way has a penalty. Purple 1x, Green 2x, Red 3x. And yes, it is meant to discourage PKers (player killers). There is also discussion that the corruption gain will be greater for those Red characters who gank those of a lower level than them. To be determined in testing.