Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Landslides and avalanches

Hi all. I have an idea for mechanics. The idea is that in the highlands if you miss a powerful spell or hit hard slope , the avalanche will appear which will cause damage and if the BOSS will hit the mountain avalanche to kill heroes and to partially damage the city (village)  >:)

Comments

• I don't think it would not be possible for developers to implement environmental destruction in large scale............ We are too far away from such stuff I guess
  • This was debated/discussed on the huge weather effects post. While technically possible, the amount of coding, graphic resources, and other factors for something that would be an infrequent situational just isn't worth the time. You can see in the livestream when someone asks about tornadoes and typhoons Steven gets all excited, Jeffrey sorta rolls his eyes and and shoots him the "not gonna happen" look. That is the difference between they guy making his dream game, and the guy tasked with delivering what he wants. "With the resources you have given me, I can meet this, this, and this." "But I want a hammer that can cleave islands in two whenever I want that leaves permanent change!!" "Sure boss, just give me another 4 million to hire the coders and artists for it. We should have it done before you die."
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017

They had a similar question about waves and such for ships. Will the ship rock and roll with the waves ? Such things rely on using the physics engine for a massive area/volume of water for the waves and then every ship in operation on those waves. The amount of real time data to be transferred between client and server...even without pondering on the calculations for everything in sight, is quite bewildering.

So they cheat. The waves and ships will follow a prebaked animation under parameter control instead of using physics. Some things can be cheated to work around such limitations. Some things can not.

Nothings impossible. Bit it greatly relies on both technical limitations and the genii that can work wonders within them.

You could use wind, wind direction and sails quite easily as an example though. Because such a thing lends itseld to simple parameter value and switching preset animations. Regardless...some poor bugger has to model all those 'alternate' animations. How much time and money do they have ?