Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Strength/Defensive point allocation

Does anyone believe a system should exist where the difference between the strength of an attack compared to the defense of the one being attacked results in a varying effect?  Instead of just having some formula that only calculates damage?

Comments

• Options
    Like poise in dark souls?
  • Options
    Not sure what you mean. By varying effect are you thinking of if someone made a critical strike they would be stunned or slowed?
  • Options
    It would be really snow bally if it is just dependent on how much damage you are dealing.  I like the idea of you getting bonuses for breaching your opponents defensive but i think it needs to be an active thing. Stuff like breaking through a shield while a player is blocking stuns them.
  • Options
    I have not played Dark Souls as the combat seems too slow for me.  I read about the poise system, but it seems as though portions of that system are only active during specific times.  To a degree it sounds similar, but not entirely.

Let's say there are points we add in some form of an attack/defense point tree.

You customize your character and allocate points where you please.  There are different schools of magic.  There are different means of physical attacks.  Each having their own defensive counterparts.  Items would clearly bolster said trees.

Varying effects (such as stuns) would trigger when comparing the strength of an attack to that of the defense of your opponent.  If you allocate points to strength, your attacks should be stronger.  If your opponent is weak and decides to block with a shield, then what should happen if someone who has tremendous strength hits the shield of a weak opponent?  It would also only make sense if weapon types and Armor types also play a role in this attack/defense capability.

Same thing can be done with magic.  Offensive magic/defensive magic/natural resistance/armor resistance etc etc.

If you have a lot of Fire magic resistance, and a mage who has allocated points into fire magic blasts you with a rather strong fire spell, then the difference would be calculated between the two, and a result would take place.  Maybe nothing happens, maybe you start on fire, maybe you are pinned down... the difference would determine the effect.  That is what is meant by varying effect.  The effect varies based on the relative attack compared to that of the relative defense.

What should happen from a realistic point of view, if in fact, these types of scenarios could take place in our world?