Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Threats to nodes.

Something that was discussed was world bosses and dynamic events that would take place and threaten nodes and players alike E.g zombie horde. 

What kind of world bosses, events and general threats to nodes and players can we all think off?

Comments

• Options
    Army of stone monsters come from the underrealm and attack the city in the node above it.
  • Options
    Tree spirits/forest guardians attack because of mass harvesting of the forest

Some sort of bird creatures attack

Fire spirit...
  • Options
    I'm good with the zombie horde, however my opinion is rather biased :trollface:
  • Options
    Like the idea of the tree monsters attacking due to player activity, that will definietly make the world alive. Same idea as @Zastro with the stone monsters as players are mining too much?
  • Options
    Wolfwall said:
    Like the idea of the tree monsters attacking due to player activity, that will definietly make the world alive. Same idea as @Zastro with the stone monsters as players are mining too much?
    Or they could have just mined into the rock monster's home
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    Plague mechanics. A node starts to infect people with virulent plague. After a time period they explode when they die, infecting others. Other nodes would need to start quarantine to prevent the infection from spreading by killing infected before they got to the popping phase.They did this mechanic in WOW years ago for an event and it was actually studied by the CDC in the US on how viral outbreaks spread. Swtor had a similar mechanic that was just as irritating.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    What about diseases that spread?

I'm sure some of those science nodes could whip up some super virus.

*Edit: apparently Unknown beat me to it
  • Options
    Plague mechanics. A node starts to infect people with virulent plague. After a time period they explode when they die, infecting others. Other nodes would need to start quarantine to prevent the infection from spreading by killing infected before they got to the popping phase.They did this mechanic in WOW years ago for an event and it was actually studied by the CDC in the US on how viral outbreaks spread. Swtor had a similar mechanic that was just as irritating.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident
    Love this!
  • Options
    @UnknownSystemError That sounds amazing. Can see that working brilliantly in this.

I would love to see some natural disaster stuff. Hurricanes or earthquakes causing damage and destruction. Where then players would have to go around securing buildings and making repairs, saving NPC's and the more plays do the less damage overall.
  • Options
  • Options
    Kinda tripy
  • Options
    They did that plague thing in EQ2 also....hated it.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I don't know about you, but I think the ZOI expanding has encroached on a very powerful summoner's home, who summons a giant Beholder to destroy your node, would be awesome.He/she will continue to summon power monsters and demons on a regular basis until you find him/her and neutralize him/her

• Options
    Tree spirits/forest guardians attack because of mass harvesting of the forest

Some sort of bird creatures attack

Fire spirit...
    How about a giant tree attacking like the ones in lord of the rings
  • Options
    Ooooo what about something like a trickster demon? It just hides in its layer and does weird, funny, random, and sometimes deadly things to your node until it is found and destroyed?
  • Options
    I'd love subtle warning signs that a player can act on to try to avert the crisis proactively but they have to do some detective work. That way people can try to group up to protect their homes!

• Options
    What about an epidemic of homeless people?

• Options
    Tsunami for the coastal cities.

The way to defend a node from tsunami: a zerg of players with small boats row towards the tsunami then grab buckets, and take water from one side of a boat and spill it on another side of a boat.
  • Options
    Combining what people stated: Zombies + Plague. Zombies attack, you need to defend, if you get hit by certain AoE while fighting you get infected and start attacking your friends. If the zombies wins the city will turn into a dungeon where you need to enter and burn down the houses and kill the infected, or the scourge infection will spread to the closest node. 
  • Options
    I'd love subtle warning signs that a player can act on to try to avert the crisis proactively but they have to do some detective work. That way people can try to group up to protect their homes!

So much this.  <3
  • Options
    Pu**y Riot schedules a concert in your Metropolis.  How will you stop it?
  • Options
    What about large locust swarms that can decimate a particular node's natural resources? This migh have a devastating effect on gathering natural materials and affect  feeding of livestock - so damaging farmimg/breeding/animal husbandry say. Ultimately crafting is affected for a time, and the node's economy takes a real dip for a while. 
    Might be a great time for an enemy to plot an attack, also...?
  • Options
    A Disaster Area concert. (Kudos if you get the reference without google).

I'd also like to see less overtly physical ones.  We've got a lot of things like natural disasters, zombie hoards, diseases, etc. But what about the political? What about something like a new religious faction rising up (or even being seeded by another player/node) and trying to overthrow your military metropolis's government. If they succeed, then the city converts to a religious node allied to whoever seeded them (or just unaffiliated if they happened randomly). Equally you could have a military coup, a mass buyout or... ok I have no idea what the scientific uprising would look like. Hopefully it involves mechs or steam golems or something like that.

Also, maybe something planar. Either a gate to some kind of plane opens and loads of imps and salamanders and whatever spill out.

Last one coming to mind is maybe a scientific experiment goes wrong and accidentally opens a rift to the bottom of the sea and floods the area.