Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

off topic age of pcs

How long do you keep a pc/laptop before you replace it or do an overhaul? And how old is too old?

Comments

• Options
    Just replaced my PC today.  Had the old one for four years :astonished:
  • Options
    Tell me what day I get access to the game, and I'll tell you what day I buy a new computer ^^
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    When it cost too close to buying a new one than repairing it; or the old one goes caput. 
  • Options
    My last build lasted 4 years, I have had my current build for just over 1 year now. My wife gets my old system and I build mame arcade machines with the older systems. I love gaming! I love my fully functional upright arcade cabinet I built from scratch (plywood + old monitor  + old PC and a fun trip to Fry's = awesome!) 
  • Options
    I upgrade pieces at a time. My next update is probably cpu/mobo I still have plenty of ram and a good gpu
  • Options
    Laptops for me, every 1-2 years if I am still using it. Desktops every 3-4, depending on how it runs.
  • Options
    I would say I do a major upgrade after at least 2 generations of hardware changes.

I don't earn enough to upgrade every time Intel decide to make a new socket for minimal differences. (I'm looking at you LGA2011 and LGA2011v3.)

I had an i7 4820K up until last month. Now that the i7 7920K has been announced; I ended up upgrading to a Ryzen 7 since it's cheaper and performs similarly anyway.
  • Options
    Well my PC is pretty poop but I've had it for 2 years but finances  means I can only get something half decent ^^ I'll hold onto it till just before Ashes comes out :3 At that point I'll be asking you all for PC advice! 
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Just build my new PC and the old one hold 5 years without changing anything (could still hold a bit longer) XD
    But it really depend on what you have in your system ;) 
    You can feel the average laptop getting old after 2-3 year :smiley:
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    My last computer took me 7yrs from 2009 to 2016. It doesn't have all the same parts in 2016 as it did when I first got it. 

I tend to do a full on replacement from scratch every 5-6yrs. Usually go through 2-3 graphics cards per box. When I need to upgrade my processor is when I just full on upgrade.

*Don't be like me though. I wait too long and eek put my rig as long as I can because I'm cheap.
  • Options
    My PC is four years. But my 680 has been rocking it. Really good card, albeit quite old now.
  • Options
    about every 4 years. 
  • Options
    I will upgrade the day my computer cannot run the latest games on ultra.
  • Options
    Diura said:
    Well my PC is pretty poop but I've had it for 2 years but finances  means I can only get something half decent ^^ I'll hold onto it till just before Ashes comes out :3 At that point I'll be asking you all for PC advice! 
    Best advice. Order from Newegg.com.
  • Options
    tylerr385 said:
    Diura said:
    Best advice. Order from Newegg.com.
    Use pcpartpicker.com. shows what's compatible and the cheapest price. Newegg was not the cheapest on anything but my Moba.
  • Options
    I normally do not do a  full overhaul until i need a new CPU.  I will normally switch out the GPU and RAM as needed and typically get 5-8 years out of the CPU until i do another full overhaul.
  • Options
    I am normally at the mercy of windows schedule.
    New version every 2.5 years with a 10 year support life.
    Normally the every other one sucks though...so...
    About every 5 years.
  • Options
    I have just built this pc but my last pc lasted me about 4 years
  • Options
    Whenever my guy friends tell me I need to if I want to play the new games xD
  • Options
    3 years, but replace stuff every year or so. Will need to replace more for AoC for sure..
  • Options
    My philosophy is if a game I'm looking to play can't be run comfortably on the PC I have, it's time for an upgrade.
  • Options
    My first PC (which happened to be my first gaming rig) that I bought in 2001 was replaced beginning of this year. Never replaced a part inside the rig though I did replace the monitor once. There was nothing wrong with it per se, I was worried about the main hard drive and the possibility of it dying. It was a 120 GB hard drive lol and was still running Windows XP. My current rig, though somewhat old by a few years, is running good so far with Windows 7.
    Never installed Windows 10 before and I don't plan to in the near future 'cause the whole "use your e-mail address for login" bit pisses me off. :<
    And yes, I'm old school. >v<
  • Options
    Some interesting answers.
    I see some of you just like to get the newest thing out because you think you need it. You like to waste money but I have the newest tech. You later find out it wasn't as fast as you expected.
    Some really need to upgrade. thats a good way to upgrade.
    Dont upgrade a pc or laptop because of a new game. New games are usually bugged and the drivers are not yet updated.
    One thing I see none of you do is do a system wipe and reinstall. This in most cases clears and cleans out all the crap on your pc. You will find that the pc/laptop will run better. But the down side to this is you have to reinstall all the software you want again. But this is a good thing too, like when was the last time you played game A,B, or C. I do this every 3 to 4 years.

• Options
    Until my current  PC which is now 4 years old  I used to use gaming laptops that I would need to replace about every 3 years ish.  When I stopped traveling in 2013 I built my current PC.  It still runs everything I need it to.  However I will overhaul  it for Ashes in late 2019.  To be honest if a game that I cared enough about to warrant an upgrade before now had come along I would have gone ahead, however I have been sooo underwhelmed by everything since GW2 I just haven't bothered.  Got a feeling Ashes is going to be my main time sync on release so quite happy to spend a bit on an overhaul to get the best from the game.
  • Options
    I wonder if it would actually help them to release a tool, in which you can upload the PC specs.
  • Options
    Maora said:
    My first PC (which happened to be my first gaming rig) that I bought in 2001 was replaced beginning of this year. Never replaced a part inside the rig though I did replace the monitor once. There was nothing wrong with it per se, I was worried about the main hard drive and the possibility of it dying. It was a 120 GB hard drive lol and was still running Windows XP. My current rig, though somewhat old by a few years, is running good so far with Windows 7.
    Never installed Windows 10 before and I don't plan to in the near future 'cause the whole "use your e-mail address for login" bit pisses me off. :<

You can setup up a basic account OR a live account. The old school way is still an option and the only one I use. ;)

• Options
    Maora said:

You can setup up a basic account OR a live account. The old school way is still an option and the only one I use. ;)

How do I do the old school way without first having to create an e-mail address and using it? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Edit: Sorry, I accidentally posted twice. ;A;
  • Options
    2-4 years.
  • Options
    I like to have decent and up to date computers as much as the rest of us gamers, but I also like to get my money's worth out of the computers I build/buy/update.  The most current one is almost 4 years old, and still running nice... the other one, 10+ years and still runs.. just well... slow but gave it life when i put in the gtx 550ti in it, but the CPU/RAM is bottlenecking.   
    The more current one, I bought a 1050ti to update it from the gtx 550ti that lasted me the 4 years i've had it. 
    Also, SSD on newer PC... but eyeballing the M.2's for the newer PC that will replace this one in a year or so.... 
    (this one will still be good for a while, i7 2600k with 16gig RAM, SSD)

:D