Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Auto-Approach

I'd like to know if the game will have the auto-approach option. So far the only game I've played with that was Aion and it helps clerics a lot mostly in pvp.

Auto-approach is when you target someone who is too far away from you and you try to use skill, then your character will automatically run towards the target until it's close enough to be able to use that skill.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds useful but would like it to be on a toggle
  • Options
    I think auto approach is useful but I can't see it being implemented in Ashes - Positioning in Ashes is going to be really important so auto approach may interfere with the skill of how you position yourself on the field :)

I think it's a good question to ask at a stream though:)

• Options
    Diura said:
    I think auto approach is useful but I can't see it being implemented in Ashes - Positioning in Ashes is going to be really important so auto approach may interfere with the skill of how you position yourself on the field :)

How can I ask at a stream?
  • Options
    Sounds useful but would like it to be on a toggle
    Yes, pretty much. The idea is the player to be able to active/disable auto-approach in "Settings".
  • Options

snowmaru said:
    Diura said:

How can I ask at a stream?
    They will post a question thread for it in the announcement and headlines section of the foruns
  • Options
    Sounds effective but I think it has abuse potential, like you'll be able to stay at max range and heal. For example if a boss has 25 feet AoE and your healing range is 30 feet, it will take away a lot of the challenge when healing the tank. In PvP even more so.

Streams are on Twitch every Friday. You can also ask question on discord.
  • Options
    In fact it is not much advantage, since it is easier for both players, and the melees pj have loads towards in enemy normally.

• Options
    zhue said:
    In fact it is not much advantage, since it is easier for both players, and the melees pj have loads towards in enemy normally.

I disagree completely  :) In PvP it's a huge advantage since you always want to stay as far in the back in your territory. Imagine healing this damagedealer that constantly moves around while chasing someone, you just spam autoapproach on him and don't have to worry about overstepping into the mage range so he can sheep you then kill your friend. And if he still sheeps you, you know that you did everything you could. Same in PvE,  see above comment. Imo this feature will lower the skillcap for the game in a dumb way.
  • Options
    I need auto approach at the bar when I see a pretty girl. Usually I just sit as far away as possible and hope she comes to me.

Spoiler alert.

She never does.
  • Options
    Egolego said:
    Sounds effective but I think it has abuse potential, like you'll be able to stay at max range and heal. For example if a boss has 25 feet AoE and your healing range is 30 feet, it will take away a lot of the challenge when healing the tank. In PvP even more so.

I wish they streamed every Friday, but they do not. The next stream is the 23rd
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    Egolego said:

If your maximum healing range is 25 meters for exemple, and you're 30 meter away from the target, the moment you press a healing skill your character will run towards until you're 25 meter away so you can heal. In fact no one wants to be more than 25 meter away from the target because the time you waste running towards the target is a waste of time (target can pretty much die in pvp/pve due to the time you wasted running towards instead of healing). But in pvp many times you simply can't find your target, so the auto approach will lead your character towards it. It's also good for lazy people just like the "auto run" key, instead of being pressing W you can just press a key to auto run, but the auto approach you will "auto run" towards a target.
    I don't see how it would be abusing potential.

edit: in case i wasn't clear about the auto-approach. it's not a dash towards a target nor a sprint. it's not a skill at all. it's the default running of the game that automatically actives when you try to use a skill in a target too far away. same as if you manually pressed W to move closer.
  • Options
    @snowmaru Apparently you don't understand what I'm trying to say. It's ok though, I'm not here to change anyones opinion.
  • Options
    Last game I played that had such a thing was Ragnarok Online. (Played again recently) And it was more of an annoyance there. But I don't see why there should not be an option for it.
  • Options
    auto-approach sounds quite helpful but I don't like the idea of being dragged around by it all the time. Maybe make it optional so you don't have to use it.
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    I need auto approach at the bar when I see a pretty girl. Usually I just sit as far away as possible and hope she comes to me.

Spoiler alert.

She never does.
    If you're not confident that's not attractive Karthos. =p You need to be more comfortable talking to us!
  • Options
    Karthos said:

Spoiler alert.

She never does.
    If you're not confident that's not attractive Karthos. =p You need to be more comfortable talking to us!
    Oh I think most people around here feel I'm probably too confident/borderline arrogant.

;)
  • Options
    Karthos said:

Spoiler alert.

She never does.
    Don't do it Karthos, it's a trap anyway  :D
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    I must admit I never played a MMO with an auto approach.

I'm quite certain I wouldn't like it though, cause I never like anything being automated for me.