Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How will travelling the seas work?

Hey everyone, I'm not sure that I'm posting this in the right forum. I'm curious about how travelling by sea will work, will there be islands that can only be reached if you have a boat; will it therein only be reachable by a player crafting a boat or will there be NPC boats travelling this route?
I find the thought exciting that say if you had a raid scedhuled with your guild, and you happened to be stuck out on an island, that you'd have to try and communicate with another player who owns a boat in order to get back, and/or possibly plan for this by travelling towards the raid area with a good margin of time. Will storms affect travels? will there be seamonsters that can attack your boat? There are so many cool things you can do with boats and ocean content, I hope you explore this. I feel that a big part of adventuring is when things don't go the way you planned, and I hope you're thinking of that too!

Comments

• Options
    Here's what we know so far.

• Options
    Well there are lot s of answers we don't know yet but I started writing this up from the streams
    "Intrepid Studios are discussing to put “actual content” into the seas - stuff that happens under the ocean and stuff that happens on the ocean etc including “Island Chains” that they have got planned with trade routes and ships.

Ship movement and sailing is currently being discussed as being a simulated physical render rather than true physics due to the possible performance risks it may have on the player.
    Different ships might have different speeds and factors like time of day might play a role on the performance of your ship. Therefore Intrepid are going for a “simulated realism” approach.

Seafaring may be a profession that players might be able to advance in with regards to specific abilities that relate to seafare activities such as treasure finding, getting better at supporting a ship and getting better at “firing cannons”

Other specifics we don't know yet but I can imagine the ocean will be a world in itself :) There will be coves and secret underwater entrances to the Underrealm. There will be plants and things to harvest etc xD

i can't wait to see what dangers hide in the oceans xD
  • Options
    I wonder if your character will have a chance to get seasick if they don't have points in a certain trait or ability......  '/puke over the rail' would be a fun emote.
  • Options
    Seafaring as a profession would be awesome! I could see myself going full pirate mode. So much potential! I hope they tell us more soon. I'm just hoping so much they don't overuse teleports around the world.
  • Options
    There is only a single "fast travel" option planned for scientific metropolis that will allow quick travel within the ZOI of the controlling node. So expect lots of travel between points A & B, including sailing to the different islands, and other mechanics for underwater content.
  • Options
    well... when a mommy boat and a daddy boat both love each other...
  • Options
    I really hope they end up with a system similar to Archeage . Being able to own ships, ship to ship combat and piracy would be completely epic in this game setting. 
  • Options
    Diura said:
    Ship movement and sailing is currently being discussed as being a simulated physical render rather than true physics due to the possible performance risks it may have on the player.
    Different ships might have different speeds and factors like time of day might play a role on the performance of your ship. Therefore Intrepid are going for a “simulated realism” approach.
    The only game that I've played in recent memory where I had the chance to do anything with ships has been BDO.  So I am not entirely sure what "simulated physical render" would be like vs "true physics".  Would it be similar to BDO (I didn't play ArcheAge so I do not know how their ships worked), or something else?  
  • Options
    kirasenou said:
    Diura said:
    The only game that I've played in recent memory where I had the chance to do anything with ships has been BDO.  So I am not entirely sure what "simulated physical render" would be like vs "true physics".  Would it be similar to BDO (I didn't play ArcheAge so I do not know how their ships worked), or something else?  
    Personally I didn't stay around bdo for the ship building so I can't tell you if it's similar to bdo xD 
    It basically means that it's not so in depth that each person on the boat is doing an actual task like to make it move but simply you'll have boat owner moving the ship.
    There will be like things to make it look like your all controlling the ship like raising sails ^^ 
    I'm not a boat expert I only know sails make a ship move but people were asking if it would be more in depth but it would be difficult to actually do that and allow smooth gameplay xD
  • Options
    Within Unreal Engine 4 there is a physics engine that allows developers to create realistic interactions between physical bodies. 

What I think Steven is talking about is using kinematic physics to to simulate ship motion and interaction between ships rather than fully simulated physics.

https://youtu.be/h5328iFT6JA?t=79
  • Options
    @Diura and @lexmax  Thank you so very much for explaining!  I'm excited to see where IS takes seafaring.  
  • Options
    I hated how everyone could spawn or despawn their ships anywhere on the ocean in Archeage. Really hope there will be docks in Ashes. Docks where you spawn/despawn or repair your ship at. During combat the crew should be able to repair the ship but if its greatly damaged then you should take it to docks and let it stay there for repairs for a few days. Taking this one step further, I could also be fine with battle ships getting destroyed forever when they lose a naval fight. 
  • Options
    Like everything else it comes down to risk vs reward. If I can spawn a boat anywhere and it never gets destroyed, just knocked out of commission during a battle, it really won't seem to be worth it. If I have to spend two weeks grinding at a dock to make something seaworthy for it to blown up in under 5 minutes out from the dock, once again not worth it. One persons fun grind mechanic is another persons unnecessary time sink.
  • Options
    I agree with both of you, it should be able to be destroyed and it should be able to be repaired, but it also shouldn't be able to be blown up 5 minutes out from the dock, unless there was a massive siege going on or something akin to this, which would mean you'd be a fool to leave the docks at that time. As of now however it sounds like they aren't sure they'll be enabling sieges with ships, though I hope they do!