Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The RP in MMORPG

Hey there folks!

I don't know if this topic has been discussed, but I was wondering if anyone knows if, or whether or not the developers of this game are looking to include certain elements conducive to roleplay! This means the obvious stuff, such as emotes, interactive objects such as chairs, tables, etc., but also certain things such as DM tools such as a /roll feature for d20, or other improvements to roleplaying systems not seen in other MMOs even.

I'm not sure how large of a RP community will spring forth from AoC, but I tend to believe the game's mechanics will definitely foster organic RP!

Either way, I was just wondering what people know, and perhaps we can even have a discussion about other elements that could be cool & conducive to RP!

Comments

• Options
    Most of the RP elements, as you mentioned, like sitting in a chair. Should not be hard to implement, at all. But they can do wonders. RP servers in fantasy games (WoW for example) Are always full. No matter the hours. So many subs that keep going, just to RP. My sub was extended by at least 3 years, due to RP. So catering, even a little, to the potential RP crowd can't hurt.
  • Options
    From what i've seen, heard and read so far on AoC makes me hopeful for a good RP experience. I remember watching an interviewer where the lead designer talked about his own RPing experience. So its comforting to know that even the people making this have RP'd in some fashion. I myself RP in majority of my games yet this game appears to have the most potential for me personally.
  • Options
    Based on my thoughts, I would think there to be a slew of "emote" "RP" options available. They tend to add alot to the game so I would highly doubt they would overlook that. Plus there was mention of specific emotes at the various backer levels....sooooooo
  • Options
    Sitting in chairs and lying in bed have been confirmed.  Steven claims to be a role player so I think we should be good in the many ways to do it.
  • Options
    Weren't they going to implement marriage as well?
  • Options
    Yes, marriage has been confirmed =)
  • Options
    Ariatras said:
    Most of the RP elements, as you mentioned, like sitting in a chair. Should not be hard to implement, at all. But they can do wonders. RP servers in fantasy games (WoW for example) Are always full. No matter the hours. So many subs that keep going, just to RP. My sub was extended by at least 3 years, due to RP. So catering, even a little, to the potential RP crowd can't hurt.
    Nice argument. Always tie it to money. ;)
  • Options
    I guess it doesn't take a lot of fancy additions to the game to help foster roleplay, but my hope is that there will be a relatively strong and healthy RP community built up around the player-driven story.

My hope though is the developers help and simply recognize the RP community, unlike games such as WoW. I've been RPing there for years, and the devs kind of just let us do things with the help of 

My point is they did certain things, such as phasing & sharding which sundered the RP community there for a while. Luckily the RP servers banded together and had them address the issues, but it'd be great to see the devs for this game actively engaging with the storylines unfolding as well.

I can see it in my mind being something like Eve meets GoT with awesome graphics :)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    Even though I am competitive PvP player in my core, this doesn't mean I don't like RP.

In fact far from it. Immersion is very important factor for me. I am not all about health bars and score sheets (even though I'm happy when score sheet is in my favor). :)

I love when MMO has great many of RP elements, and even when I PvP I like to be immersed in it, like I am actually there.

RP is not only PvE, like some incorrectly think. Fishing, ERP, and sitting around fire. This is only small part of it.

I may not be a player that uses IC / OOC tags when I chat, because, that in fact is what breaks immersion for me... RP can't be something artificially impemented by writing IC in front of lines of text, real immersion is not about "rules" it's about forgetting rules exist... Real immersion comes when you forget about RL and are pulled inside the game, its environment, that you forget about tags and everything and just play.

I like battles, danger, but I like these to be as immersive as possible, so I welcome any RP improvements that can come with Ashes!  B)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    Ah I would also like to add.

When one clears all the PvE dungeons and raids and brings them to farm status (gears up completely)... then what remains is RP and PvP.

RP and PvP (if done well) are the endgame content that lasts, and those 2 are major factors that keep MMOs alive.
  • Options
    I think i've played WoW for so many years due to the RP, its what I love most about MMO's!
  • Options
    tugowar said:
    Ariatras said:
    Nice argument. Always tie it to money. ;)
    Yup, but it is true.
  • Options
    They are adding marriage, you can share your house. Sit in a chair, sleep in a bed with someone, they mentioned it. I think you can go in really deep with RP in this game.
  • Options
    I love walking into tavern areas or small towns in games and listening into RP conversation ^^ 
    Usually I'm a PvPer and have never RP before however it would be something I'm willing to try in Ashes :3
    Im sure emotes will be implemented just like everyone's has said - but ontop of that - as long as the RP community uses their imagination I'm sure RP is possible anywhere ^^
  • Options
    I love RP. Steven seems to be a big supporter of it so I hope he does add all the bells and whistles With sit, cheer, point and things like that. I also hope they add alot more.