Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gear/item impact?

So this question might have been answered. I tried looking around a bit, but could not really find it.

I have a concern that with some games the gear you have equiped does not really affect your "strengh" all that much. ESO was one of those games for me where the items really did not impact you performance.

This sort of view on items really just makes the strive for beating raids or just crafting new items that much lower. And in eventuality lowers the life lengh of a game.

I have heard on some of the interviews tho, that they are intending to reward the players that put in the time, so to say.
I'm guessing that will mean that we'll not have this problem. But I just wanted to make sure. Since I feel that low impact items takes away from a game way too much.

Comments

• Options

Depends...are you looking for a more powerful differential between gear with ever greater bonuses...or are you looking for gear to have massively different stats but balanced though penalties ?

You see the answer to your question is if you are after variety or power.

• Options
    Eso gear really does impact your performance tho. 
  • Options

Depends...are you looking for a more powerful differential between gear with ever greater bonuses...or are you looking for gear to have massively different stats but balanced though penalties ?

You see the answer to your question is if you are after variety or power.

Are they going to make gear with penalties ?
  • Options
    I'm the other end of the spectrum. The haves and have nots of gear has always bothered me. I understand why it exists, and I don't know how I would fix it other than this:

In ranked arena, you should be able to choose your gear from all available gear. Pick your loadout that you only get in the ranked arena. Not only does this level the playing field, but you feel like a bamf in your BiS gear. 
  • Options
    Progression in terms of gear is the easier path. Just slap more agility on it, and the rogue will do more damage.

I personally prefer progression in terms of character growth. But I am unsure how viable it is in mmo's. 

With that being said, I would still hope to see something other than continuous gear grinds. I think they have something else in mind, with the way that gear can break, it being more of a consumable thing.
  • Options
    Personally if gear doesnt matter, like for pvp its awesome cause they can make it balanced for instanced. But for world pvp and pve gear should matter. If thats not the case i dont know where i should be playing for. I want to get stronger and stronger. Gather items to buy upgrades from really good crafters.
  • Options
    Agreed! I always like gear to be a PvE thing, reward players for putting in time and effort to defeat bosses etc. With PvP though, that method tends to mean new PvP'ers get smashed constantly.
  • Options
    not sure, haven't heard enough about, or been shown enough info about how or what stats they are going to have on gear/characters.  if it's a deep system meant for the thinkers, it will mean that if you are a rogue, gearing / alocating stats might be mean more than just slapping all the dex you can on gear.  

for example, what if there are constitution, endurance, concentration types of stats along with your standard trope of mmo stats? your stealth effectiveness is tied to your constitution, how far you can sprint tied to stamina, how much you can dodge tied to endurance....etc.  this is why i want action combat to evolve in mmos.....every single time they release a damn "action" combat mmo it's basically a hack n' slash button masher with very shallow and dry character/class building.  it does NOT have to be this way.  you can STILL have deep and complex combat systems and character building with action oriented combat....but they don't do it for some reason....just riding the gimmick, grabbin all dat cash they can and see ya....poof, margaritas on the beach!

but yea, i do hope there are deep enough mechs in the game where gear does have an impact.  i mean, gittin da shiny is half the fun...but what does it all mean when the shiny isn't really shiny?...nada is what it means.  just run around in your starter rags till lvl 70 then sit in towns RPn a fake beggar.