Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Gear Position

First off I'd just like to say, I've never really seen this talked about a forum in any sort of serious manner. Yes, you read that title right so now I'll explain. MMORPGs, at least the ones I'm aware of that are currently active, don't allow you to choose how your character carries their gear when not in use, or even which hand will hold it when it is "unsheathed", and to me, this is a missed opportunity. In MMORPGs once you equip your gear, be it a weapon or shield or basic tool just so you can get a better look at it, it automatically equips to certain points, staff and polearms and two-handed weapons automatically go to the back when you equip them and are usually not in use, one-handed weapons automatically appear on the characters right before the next end up going to the left (only with characters that dual wield) and shields automatically go to the left hand while crafting tools automatically go on the right when being more closely observed or in use. THIS IS TERRIBLE! The idea behind the character is the ability to customize them your way, but to restrict how their gear is equipped and which side gets priority without asking the player about this is just wrong and shows a lack of foresight on the side of the developers.

You should be able to choose all those things, also choose whether or not you can see the sheaths of the weapons in question or not. You should be at least allowed to decide where equipping of gear gets priority in character creation, but the games don't even let you do that. You should be able to choose where the gear is equipped and how it is oriented, these are little things that help make the characters feel more personal, mostly because it's what the player chose for their character. You should also be able to choose which side is dominant so that it is better expressed by the character, with maybe the option for your character to learn ambidexterity.

Comments

• Yeah, small things like having a weapon in the left instead of shield and then shield in right could make a more smooth character customization. Don't really know what you mean about "never really seen this talked about a forum in any sort of serious manner". You mean the forum dont have any real serious talk in it? if so, then you should remember that it is a really early state for the game. They have given us information, but not all information. There er serious talk, but I think people also are waiting to talk more serious when there are more meat on the bone ;) Right now we can only have fantasies until the game is tested. They said tho that they will make a smooth character customization, so let's hope :smiley:

• dracone said:
    First off I'd just like to say, I've never really seen this talked about a forum in any sort of serious manner. Yes, you read that title right so now I'll explain. MMORPGs, at least the ones I'm aware of that are currently active, don't allow you to choose how your character carries their gear when not in use, or even which hand will hold it when it is "unsheathed", and to me, this is a missed opportunity. In MMORPGs once you equip your gear, be it a weapon or shield or basic tool just so you can get a better look at it, it automatically equips to certain points, staff and polearms and two-handed weapons automatically go to the back when you equip them and are usually not in use, one-handed weapons automatically appear on the characters right before the next end up going to the left (only with characters that dual wield) and shields automatically go to the left hand while crafting tools automatically go on the right when being more closely observed or in use. THIS IS TERRIBLE! The idea behind the character is the ability to customize them your way, but to restrict how their gear is equipped and which side gets priority without asking the player about this is just wrong and shows a lack of foresight on the side of the developers.

You should be able to choose all those things, also choose whether or not you can see the sheaths of the weapons in question or not. You should be at least allowed to decide where equipping of gear gets priority in character creation, but the games don't even let you do that. You should be able to choose where the gear is equipped and how it is oriented, these are little things that help make the characters feel more personal, mostly because it's what the player chose for their character. You should also be able to choose which side is dominant so that it is better expressed by the character, with maybe the option for your character to learn ambidexterity.
    I see your point, but as @WhyMe2000f says, it's very early days for the game. Changing positions of items requires many underlying changes to the character models, meshes, textures and animations. While these are all possible, the question comes down to time and resources. Maybe in future we will see amazing features as you suggest, but right now I hope IS focus on getting a minimum viable product into the alpha and beta testing phases.
  • lexmax @WhyMe2000f
    Basically what I was saying there is I have never seen that even attempted in an MMO, and it is because Ashes is so early in its life that it is my hope that these sort of suggestions have a chance to be implemented in the game.