Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Marriage

Since the announcement that marriage will be a part of Ashes, we haven't heard too much else. In light of what we know to date, I wanted to throw out some possibilities for what marriage might look like. To note it doubly, this is just theorycraft.

Benefits:
1) Marriage automatically provides access to player housing. This includes storage, ability to decorate your home.
2) You can never attack someone to whom you're married.
3) You won't be allowed to play out Romeo and Juliet across warring bodies.
4) There will be no long-term ill effects for terminating a marriage agreement.
5) You can only have 1 spouse at a time.

What else do you think could make it's way into marriage? Will there need to be a document signed? Will this be a palyer-provided service or will an NPC help you ink the contract?

Comments

• Options
    I don't like the idea of automatic housing. I'm guessing we have to pay for housing in Ashes of Creation, and so seeing someone circumvent the system by just marrying is a little lame. The rest of the suggestions seem fine... but why only1 spouse? Maybe I want a harem! :smiley:
  • Options
    Since the announcement that marriage will be a part of Ashes, we haven't heard too much else. In light of what we know to date, I wanted to throw out some possibilities for what marriage might look like. To note it doubly, this is just theorycraft.

Benefits:
    1) Marriage automatically provides access to player housing. This includes storage, ability to decorate your home.
    2) You can never attack someone to whom you're married.
    3) You won't be allowed to play out Romeo and Juliet across warring bodies.
    4) There will be no long-term ill effects for terminating a marriage agreement.
    5) You can only have 1 spouse at a time.

What else do you think could make it's way into marriage? Will there need to be a document signed? Will this be a palyer-provided service or will an NPC help you ink the contract?
    Don't like any of the benefits of being married you listed.
    1) You get a buff whenever you're in a party with your spouse.
    2) You get a debuff if you're out soloing with another member of the opposite sex.
    3) if you get divorced your ex wife gets 1/2 your income for a a week  to a month depending on marriage length.
    4) killing your wife gets you the bruiser buff where you get bonus damage against weaker mobs. 
    5) killing your husband gives you the black widow buff which randomly poisons your enemies.
    6) additional buffs if your spouse makes food for you. Call it a home cooked meal. Bigger bonuses or longer duration 
    7) increase husbands carrying capacity. Call it the pack mule buff/syndrome
    8) wife gets 20% more of the coin when soloing with her husband. Call it the "I'm too good for you and you know it buff."
    9) Install a game mechanic where you can cheat on your spouse. Cheating gives the machismo buff which increases males damage. Women get the gold digger buff which increases gold/item drops. The "other woman" gets a damage buff and health regeneration. Call it the home wrecker buff.
    10) Mud wrestling ring for the wife and home wrecker to fight in if the affair is discovered.  Cage match for the dudes.

That's all the nonsense I can think of right now.

• Options
    All nice suggestions.
    1. Attacking your spouse. There are mechanics in place that will not allow certain people to attack others. The 4 confirmed so far are people on your friends list, people in party/raid, guild members, and alliance members. While you could have a spouse that doesn't fit into any of those 4 groups, expect them to make it a status also.
    2. Expect buffs that are present when grouped with your spouse and both are online. Any other benefits from marriage outside of those parameters will lead to accusations of M2Win (marry to win), with the developers stance on mechanics that give only those with certain states outside of guilds advantages, don't expect to see them.
    3. Expect wedding ceremony instance mechanics to avoid griefing. One thing Ashes will never want to see is a repeat of truly assholish behaviour like this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T15ot8ABAWk