Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The "Living, Breathing World" Problem

1. It is stated that players will change the game world through their actions. But exactly how difficult / how long will it take to make impactful change? If a single player decides to be naughty and kill all the deers in a forest, does the entire local population starve?

2. The idea of the "player-run world" relies on having massive amounts of players online at all times. It has loopholes begging to be abused. If you want to transport a caravan safely, just avoid the busy hours. Likewise, if you want to easymode conquer a castle, just do it at midday, when people are at work; or at 4 AM, when they're sleeping.  How will you protect your assets / territory if you're not online all day? This game is trying too hard to be real life; but it's not going to work, because in real life people don't log off.

3. Lastly, how are you going to give each player their own plot of land, without instancing? Will the world map literally be the size of Earth? I don't understand.

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    1. Don't know about that one
    2. To attack requires several days to weeks of preparation and even more importantly the owner of whatever you are going to attack gets 'notice' so that they can prepare.  Think of it as an 'intelligence' / spy network feeding information to leadership.
    3. How many players do you think there will be per server?  Certainly less than the population of the earth, right?  Supply and demand makes the economic world go round...... I'm pretty sure land holdings can be bought and sold over and over again......

• Options

3. Lastly, how are you going to give each player their own plot of land, without instancing? Will the world map literally be the size of Earth? I don't understand.
    I will add to @Crymoar's excellent answers.

The world size is fairly large. Each server will have around 10,000 players on it, which is on the high end for a MMORPG.

There are three types of housing: Freehold, Static housing, and Instanced apartments. You may own one of each of these types of housing.

As your node progresses, more static plots and freehold plots will be available. However, when all plots are full you can still rent instanced housing in your node.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    1. This isn't eqnext, we don't have that kind of change. The spawns might change as nodes evolve and some other events happen but you aren't going to be able to kill all the deer to make them go away.  
    2. This isn't Conan exiles, you can't just siege a node during off hours and take it, Crymoar covered this. Castle sieges are separate from nodes and happen at a set time each month. yes, you are going to probably be encouraged to do caravans during off hours. Just because there are less people playing doesn't mean you wont be attacked. 
    3. Not everyone will get freeholds or player housing. That's why there are instanced apartments. 
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    1. It is stated that players will change the game world through their actions. But exactly how difficult / how long will it take to make impactful change? If a single player decides to be naughty and kill all the deers in a forest, does the entire local population starve?

From what I have gathered over the many months following their Q&A's, discord answers, etc, there are varying degrees on difficulty as well as time needed for players to make changes, but it ties into the node system.  If I remember correctly, an example that comes to mind is when they talked about players being able to chop down trees in an area, completely deforesting it.  The trees don't respawn right away either.  And remember, the actions don't just impact the world itself, but also the mobs.  It is touched somewhat in their node video explaining nodes.  
  • Options
    Everyone has already provided answers but I'll advance on your first question :)

Intrepid intend to keep content alive and varied through questing mechanics, events and updates. Here is the breakdown
    •  Dynamic events and more content to keep the diversity of world scenarios are looking at quarterly updates but some of the “stuff” the team put in now might not show until someone triggers it in 2 years time.
    •  Main events that happen are timed and random.
    • An event can happen when triggered by a player - but if players haven’t triggered an event a “random” event can occur to keep activity circulating. Intrepid want to ensure that content keeps happening.
    • There are narratives, events and tasks. No dailies as such. Tasks are the like the fillers e.g something has happened in the world I need to do something about it or something negative will happen. and they won’t be the same very day
    We obviously won't know how it will work exactly until we have alpha and beta experience :)