Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gear Progression?

Okay so I really hate that the search function doesn't work because I'm positive this has been asked already so please don't roast me to hard. 

How will gear progression work? Is it going to be like traditional with just rarity drops ( Common, Rare, Legendary...Ect.) or will it be similar to something like DAoC were gear is a mix of drops and crafted were crafted gear is based off quality? Maybe something like BDO were you can upgrade each piece of gear. 

If this has been talked about before and someone can provide the link to said discussion it would be much appreciated. 

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    I'm sure someone will be able to provide you with a direct link to previous discussions but for now I'll share what we know :)

I can not compare to DAoC for I've never played but it sounds pretty similar.

Gear can be crafted or dropped from bosses/mobs:

• Crafted Gear  allows you to adjust stats through "dials" which helps you to personalise your gear to your playstyle.
    • Gear dropped from mobs and bosses and have fixed stats and can not be attuned via dials.
    Both crafted and dropped gear can be upgraded via progression through crafting - e.g a crafted piece of gear can be improved via crafting further components. This goes the same for dropped gear.

I'm not 100% certain if further progression on dropped gear allows you to adjust stats -  or just enhances based stats - someone can refresh my memory or perhaps it's not been answered yet :)

We will see gears go through visual tiers too as they enhance

example based on pax cleric gear-

We know legendary gear will exist too - and can be deconstructed with a chance to learn the recipe to craft :) 
    Crafted gear will be the best gear - and crafting will be the primary method to progress gear :)
  • Options
    Thank you @Diura thats exactly what I'm looking for. 

Do you know if the gear will have a chance to fail the upgrade like BDO?
  • Options

@BrvBrvSirRobin

The "upgrading" from tiers shouldn't fail as it'll be a crafted via rarity of materials etc and through caravan trade routes. If I recall correctly aswell RNG won't be a factor when it comes to tier upgrades.

Enhancements might be involved and is still being discussed. So like if you want gear to got from +1 to +10. If this enhancement system is implemented in the game they are discussing what reward/risks and RNG elements will be involved :)

• Options
    Ugh thats scary. I'd rather not bang my head against a wall and pour hundreds of millions of credits just to enhance my gear like BDO but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Thank you for the information @Diura
  • Options
    @BrvBrvSirRobin I agree I'm a bit bleh on the idea of ehnacments especially after the extremes of enhancement in BDO :) However we don't know any depth for now so chin up :3 Atleast it won't be p2w xD and hopefully open development will help Intrepid work out the right system for us xD
  • Options
    Diura said:

@BrvBrvSirRobin

The "upgrading" from tiers shouldn't fail as it'll be a crafted via rarity of materials etc and through caravan trade routes. If I recall correctly aswell RNG won't be a factor when it comes to tier upgrades.

Enhancements might be involved and is still being discussed. So like if you want gear to got from +1 to +10. If this enhancement system is implemented in the game they are discussing what reward/risks and RNG elements will be involved :)

I believe Stephen said it was overenchanting that had the rng in it. Enhancement sounds more like what a blacksmith would do to upgrade gear which in Ashes won't be rng based.
  • Options
    Please no RNG in gear upgrading.

Ask effort, ask rare mats, ask anything, but once effort is made, no RNG chance of failure, this is one of the reasons I quit BDO and ArcheAge.

• Options
    Zastro said:
    Diura said:

@BrvBrvSirRobin

I believe Stephen said it was overenchanting that had the rng in it. Enhancement sounds more like what a blacksmith would do to upgrade gear which in Ashes won't be rng based.
    I think you're right actually that rings a bell ^^
  • Options
    @Zastro Okay that sounds similar to DAoC were you could slightly over enchant something but ran the risk of blowing it up so that makes sense to me since your pushing something past its intended limits. 
  • Options

• Options
    Is the RNG in enchanting going to work on a basis that we can enchant for a certain stat and get random results or the whole upgrade will be random ? 
  • Options
    No one knows. Probably not even the developers atm. One of those "wait for more info" states atm.
  • Options
    I'd love to see reverse for a change just to throw everyone off. Where grey is the best item. I wouldn't be able to contain myself at the first 'so I just deleted my legendary vendor trash can a GM please get it back' thread. And you know it would happen, thus further proving the point that people really don't pay attention anymore :smile:
  • Options
    I am sick to death of gear progression. Prefer skill progression and character progression. 
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Perhaps I am reading too much between the lines.
    But if overcharging is a possibility with RNG increasing with that risk...
    ..it implies all gear will be on a par power wise yet different.
    So it is pointing to the concept of build specific 'tuned' gear that is only optimal for a specific player build type. A bit like a fingerprint system. Especially when you consider the dials and sliders. If crafters can only produce optimal gear for a specific build too....it makes every crafter and every player 'required'. Take that a way and one crafter is just as good as any other crafter and thus 10 a penny. What is the point if every player can get their perfect gear from just one person. This means gear wouldnt just be about beating bosses and exploration to find components or even finding the right combination of those components, but being the right crafter for the right fighter. Finding a very specific and highly tuned symbiotic partnership between brains and brawn. Like a personal tailor I guess.

So basically the fundamental philosophy of the gear system will be horizontal progression...BUT...RNG will allow a vertical progression aspect. So if you want better gear than others....you take a big risk.

I dont mind that vertical/horizontal compromise actually. It allows greed but will probably punish you heavily for it. The greater the greed the more chance of you being punished.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    i just hope gear progression will not be as linear and boring as it is in WoW at the moment. Youre constantly fed new epic gear with just a bit more gear score than your previous item.
    It would actually be a lot more rewarding if you get less gear overall but therefore you really feel the power difference!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Yeah most games are literally a gear treadmill. They play on people greed and desire to be special (in a vertical progression system), and everyone else then has to do the same to be on par (power wise). Thus making old gear obsolete and new crafted gear a requirement and in the process stimulating the economy.

Normally tied to raised level, the result is not only does old gear become redundant and useless, so does the content. People want to play with others. If the bulk of the community is at max level and max level players get no reward fro low level content, new players find themselves lonely with few friends. Hence the gear and level grind while they simply bypass all the 1000s of hours of old content simply to get where everyone else is. Thats 1000s of hours of playable content in the trash and only a tiny fraction of that which is ever playable leading to screams and demands for ever more content in a race that can never reach the finish line.

• Options
    Yeah most games are literally a gear treadmill. They play on people greed and desire to be special (in a vertical progression system), and everyone else then has to do the same to be on par (power wise). Thus making old gear obsolete and new crafted gear a requirement and in the process stimulating the economy.

Normally tied to raised level, the result is not only does old gear become redundant and useless, so does the content. People want to play with others. If the bulk of the community is at max level and max level players get no reward fro low level content, new players find themselves lonely with few friends. Hence the gear and level grind while they simply bypass all the 1000s of hours of old content simply to get where everyone else is. Thats 1000s of hours of playable content in the trash and only a tiny fraction of that which is ever playable leading to screams and demands for ever more content in a race that can never reach the finish line.

My interpretation of what you just said is that the expectation in the above situation is for any player to be able to equip any gear at any time (BDO style), if you can buy it, trade it, or somehow transfer/mail it to a new character, that character is "instantly" a low level uber twink.  This might be necessary though, due to the node progression system also leveling up mobs in their vicinity. 

Also, as far as low levels not having a lot of grouping options, that would most likely be resolved by alts, especially with as many class combos as their are, there will be less than 0.5% of all players that go 1 toon only.  Maybe initially, but they will branch out sooner or later.

I would expect gear to be very similar to BDO as far as anything currently available, tiers (grey/white/green/blue/yellow/red?/purple?) performed by crafting, and +1 - +# for enchanting, getting exponentially harder ever +1 or every other +1.  Then you would have different sets all following the same pattern.  It is the implementation of such a system that I think will be "new" in AoC.  I'd still expect a periodic "new" gear set available, 1 per quarter or bi-annually, or annually even.  Just to give players something new to go for (and spend time playing for).

Now, what I think we may see that is different, but not new, is class type specific gear, like Albion Online, where anyone can wear it, but specific classes would be better suited to it. example, you wouldn't want to be a tank running around with a staff of healing as your primary weapon...  Funny, granted, but not very effective, unless you were a tank/cleric with a monster armor rating and massive HP, then you would make a great marshmallow, with zero DPS...  or as another example, a tank wearing robes, regardless of the secondary class, I doubt you would be very tanky in a robe... not unless it had an enchantment of 5 second invulnerability to melee damage...

That brings up another idea, "enchanting" might not mean +1 - +#, it could mean adding enchantments, like Skyrim.  Bonus damage to a specific type of mob, or an extra ability (30 seconds of HP/Mana regen, or a mana shield) has it been specifically said what "enchanting will do?

I could probably find something else to ramble on about, but I have 15 more forum posts open in other tabs I have to go read about :)
  • Options
         I really hope they don't copy BDO's gear system. Some of it I like such as the ability to trade gear sets between any class. That being said I seriously detest the enchanting system in the game. It is so RNG heavy and so punishing when you fail it makes it next to impossible for a casual player to get their gear top tier. 

I've played BDO since launch and I've had to step away twice now (I only came back the second time because of friends) and each time I've walked away because the monotonous grind for gear is so repetitive it became more like a job than a means of entertainment.

For me I'd like to spend more time adventuring through the world they've made than worrying about my gear score and I know many people feel differently about it and I completely respect your opinions on the matter this is just how I personally feel.