Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will the best crafters in world be guild slave alts?

Dear IntrepidStudios.

Because there will be much value with crafting in this game and world where most of items are player made, can easily lead to situation where over powerly the best crafters will be guild owned characters. Characters which get all needed resources to progress like lightning with centralized resource system. Is this ok that invidual crafters have basically no change to stay even close of the curve or will your crafting system be implemented with mechanics, which prevents this kind actions? It ofc depends how much crafting is involved with grind and that way how much that grind can be bypassed with guilds. Or does the recipe system prevent this kind of activity already? 

Comments

• Options
    Intrepid have said that resources will be spread out unevenly on the map and that some resources will even be gated by seasons. Not only this, but the artisan class system means that a single character wont be able to master all three aspects of their profession at once. These mechanics combined with artisan oriented quests and content will mean that crafting will neither be simple nor boring. 

And of course there is two years of alpha an beta testing to come, where we as testers will provide the necessary feedback to Intrepid to help them tune and refine their game systems.
  • Options
    Ok that sounds good. I dont want to see system where progression is totally or mostly behind resources, because then progression can be almost instant with not much effort. That also degrees the longevity of game.

That progression through quests sounds actually really good and was something i also hoped and maybe there could be maximum limit what one character can craft in one day to restrict it little bit more. I see its really important that artisans really matters and have own meaningful place in this game.

This matter was something i wanted to pointed out as early as possible, because this can hurt the crafting and the game itself if not done right. But it seems that IS is on right track already.  :)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    The devs have assured us that Master crafters aren't going  to be a dime a dozen as @lexmax stated.  With the numerous  professions and limitations of choice per player no one will be able to completely master them all either.  
  • Options
    Also for master crafters there is the recipe system. We don't know yet how much actual combat will be required for "slave alts", but imagine there will be checks in place to keep people from having "master" crafters that have never seen a day of combat to obtain their recipes and skills. So the "wait a minute while I log on my crafter to make you your +10 sword" is probably not going to be a thing. More likely, "let me log on my crafter so we can go hunt that elite we need so I can get the bound materials I need to make your +10 sword." They have said that there will be no boe/bop on gear, they never said that about elite crafting materials. We will just have to wait and see, and give feedback during alpha/beta.
  • Options
    Yeah i guess this elite crafting/processing can be prevented with recipes and artisan quests. I guess the key to succes is to make that artisan character actually play the chosen role and not just sit in town and burn all resources handed straight to him/her to get fast progression.

But anyway IS, i am really interested to know more of your artisan systems.. in near future. ;)