Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Flagging areas for resource conflict

@Ninja Shadow  writes:

What do you guys thinaa mechanic for guilds to be able to make an area a flagged pvp zone so they can try to control a resource point?

Flagged area would cause everyone 8n it to be flagged for pvp

Area would show up on map

Would have to cost something to make area to keep it from being spammed

If guild that makes area leaves it or its members in the area all die, flagged area go away

Would take time to set area up and warning souls be given to players in area

What do you guys think about this idea?
What problems do you think would come from it? And how would you implement ways to avoid them?

Bartle 80 explorer 47 socializer 47 killer 27 achiever

The march for crumpets begins with you

Comments

• I think the castle zoi already does this as a mechanic. They have already said that there will be some areas that flag you purple as you enter them. As a player prompted mechanic I don't see it being given though, to many ways for it to be abused. Any guild wanting to deny others resources say from a mine already have mechanics in place to stop people. In one of the video Q&As they went over that exact situation and the options you would have as they envision it. 
  • I think this is idea is great, this can work in hand with how you can raid the resource caravans. I think this could make it so it makes more people focused on resources from how it gets from A to B and this will add a competitive side to the game which I think is great as I am a very competitive person.
  • I think the castle zoi already does this as a mechanic. They have already said that there will be some areas that flag you purple as you enter them. As a player prompted mechanic I don't see it being given though, to many ways for it to be abused. Any guild wanting to deny others resources say from a mine already have mechanics in place to stop people. In one of the video Q&As they went over that exact situation and the options you would have as they envision it. 
    I must have missed that Q&A do you happen to have a link to it?
  • Ummm...I wanna say #10, but not sure. @Karthos is the go to guy for having obscure dev quotes/information handy. Maybe he will chime in at some point.

• I like the system in place. The guild would be well within their right to gather corruption if they want to try and defend and keep a resource to themselves. If you are not actually talking about resources like mining, leather, gems or some type of substance and are referring to a "capture the flag" type of battleground then I believe that will have its place in an instances based pvp arena that the developers all ready said are developing just have not stated what type of arenas they will have. 
  • @Sintu the problem with just killing and raking up corruption is say guild 1 is trying to gather resources for a project they have, and guild 2 comes up and starts to gather everything out from under them, if guild 1 decides to just kill them then all guild 2 has to do is just keep coming back till guild 1 has a lot of corruption or leaves, thus they can push out guild 1 without having to really fight them, but if guild 1 can flag an area for pvp then they can have an acual meaningful conflict over the resources rather than deal with an abuse of mechanics
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    @Sintu the problem with just killing and raking up corruption is say guild 1 is trying to gather resources for a project they have, and guild 2 comes up and starts to gather everything out from under them, if guild 1 decides to just kill them then all guild 2 has to do is just keep coming back till guild 1 has a lot of corruption or leaves, thus they can push out guild 1 without having to really fight them, but if guild 1 can flag an area for pvp then they can have an acual meaningful conflict over the resources rather than deal with an abuse of mechanics
    I understand your point I just tend to favor the mechanic in place. If the corruption system is not in place then the first guild there could possibly just horde it all for themselves and I just do not agree with that.  
  • @Sintu the problem with just killing and raking up corruption is say guild 1 is trying to gather resources for a project they have, and guild 2 comes up and starts to gather everything out from under them, if guild 1 decides to just kill them then all guild 2 has to do is just keep coming back till guild 1 has a lot of corruption or leaves, thus they can push out guild 1 without having to really fight them, but if guild 1 can flag an area for pvp then they can have an acual meaningful conflict over the resources rather than deal with an abuse of mechanics
    I'd actually rather have the abuse of mechanics in place.  It's more fair, and allows for those strong enough, or smart to take the resources, to actually get them.  The game should be just as meta as it is equal, otherwise what is the point in trying to be the best, or dominate your competition.  
    edited July 2017
    Warkov said:
    @Sintu the problem with just killing and raking up corruption is say guild 1 is trying to gather resources for a project they have, and guild 2 comes up and starts to gather everything out from under them, if guild 1 decides to just kill them then all guild 2 has to do is just keep coming back till guild 1 has a lot of corruption or leaves, thus they can push out guild 1 without having to really fight them, but if guild 1 can flag an area for pvp then they can have an acual meaningful conflict over the resources rather than deal with an abuse of mechanics
    I'd actually rather have the abuse of mechanics in place.  It's more fair, and allows for those strong enough, or smart to take the resources, to actually get them.  The game should be just as meta as it is equal, otherwise what is the point in trying to be the best, or dominate your competition.  
    Hopefully I edit this quickly I misread that.  :)
  • Sintu said:
    I understand your point I just tend to favor the mechanic in place. If the corruption system is not in place then the first guild there could possibly just horde it all for themselves and I just do not agree with that.  
    They could only be able to horde it if they can keep from being killed or pushed out of the area.
    If the area was small enough that it couldn't cover all of the resources then they couldn't use it to monopolize either. But would still be able to use it to protect their interests
  • Warkov said:
    With an abuse of mechanics it just becomes who can abuse it better. Which can completely negate any of form of being good at the game. I'd rather take care of conflict straight up then back handedly by using ways to circumvent the games systems and intended way of playing to get what I want
    edited July 2017
    Sintu said:
    They could only be able to horde it if they can keep from being killed or pushed out of the area.
    If the area was small enough that it couldn't cover all of the resources then they couldn't use it to monopolize either. But would still be able to use it to protect their interests
    I appreciate your perspective just do not agree. I like the idea that people have to determine is it worth killing someone who doesn't want to PvP or not. Meaningful choice that the developers are advocating. I like that idea and feel this one goes away from it by forcing PvP. Could a solo player make a bubble that does not allow any PvP as well?  So they can gather in peace?  This example seems just as extreme and not the direction the game seems to be going. This kind of reminds me of the discussion going on in the other thread about having a PvE server. You may want to look at that one as well because I am sure your opinion would be appreciated. 
  • Sintu said:
    Much as I like ya, I have to say I would hate something like this that's player-driven. Why? Cuz we all know there'd be those players, and those guilds full of those players, who'd gang up together and flag everything so that you couldn't even walk through the forest without being flagged. I'd walk away from the game if that came into being.
    edited July 2017
    Isende said:
    Snip
    Much as I like ya, I have to say I would hate something like this that's player-driven. Why? Cuz we all know there'd be those players, and those guilds full of those players, who'd gang up together and flag everything so that you couldn't even walk through the forest without being flagged. I'd walk away from the game if that came into being.

This is a concern for me too and am thinking of ways to prevent it from happening. I am also not attached to the idea myself in that I am perfectly fine if it never come to fruition but think it is an interesting idea that could develop into something worthwhile.

Use of the mechanic would have to remain meaningful and because there are people that like to circumvent systems and use things for unintended purposes means it has to have limitations and costs and the only way to know what those need to be is by finding out how to exploit the mechanic... so please do try and punch as many holes in the idea so it can be improved or discarded if found unfeasible. I appreciate any input on the matter

Could limit the ability to 1 area per guild
    Or within a curtain area of the guilds citizenship node
    Or limit it to military nodes
    Could also make it a perk that guilds have to chose over other perks