Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Can we not call it "nodes"?

Yes, I understand the definition of the word (a point in a network or diagram at which lines or pathways intersect or branch) but, the word is so technical/mechanical/boring.  It should be something intriguing or colorful.  Other games referred to gathering points (ore, herbs, etc.) as nodes...which didn't really make sense, but the word stuck.  I have no imagination so I have no suggestions.  Any objective thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    District? Borough? Hamlet? Settlement? Commune?
    Just a few ideas. I do agree that in this game's setting it would be a bit jarring to see them referred to as nodes. 
  • Options
    Normal Overview District Expansion Section = NODES
  • Options
    Is this what we're doing today? Fighting?
  • Options
    You will go through the entire game and never encounter anything called a node :)

In game, physical locations on the map are named based on their stage of development
    1. Expedition
    2. Encampment
    3. Village
    4. Town
    5. City
    6. Metropolis
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    You will go through the entire game and never encounter anything called a node :)

In game, physical locations on the map are named based on their stage of development
    1. Expedition
    2. Encampment
    3. Village
    4. Town
    5. City
    6. Metropolis
    Exactly this - nodes are kinda their function term if anything ^^ We will know them in game as their point of development - and then we will know them as our names we choose to give them :3
  • Options
    Splodes! Sounds more exciting.
    Toads! The world exists on the backs of toads.
    Morange, so it rhymes with orange.
    Fairways, so it can be like golf.
    Pancakes, 'cause who doesn't like pancakes.
    Flotilla, sounds all floaty.
    Chunks, sounds chunky.

• Options
    Eventhough English is not my native language, I am also not fan of the word "Node" whose meaning actually fits the purpose. However when "node" is said,   either  a butterfly knotted aglet or CS related(node.js, node as in data structure etc.) appears in my mind. 

It would be cool, if it had something's sparking.

How about "District"? No, it sounds too Hunger Games. "I'm from District 12: Science, I volunteer as tribute"
  • Options
    We should just name them sandals.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    Tactical Shards..........Tards. "My tard is about to pop." "My tard just took a massive delevel." "My tard is filled with people who wear helmets." "My tard was destroyed, so I guess we have to go back and re-tard it."
  • Options

Synonyms and Antonyms of node

1. a small rounded mass of swollen tissue the doctor examined the node on my knee before deciding it was the result of arthritis Synonyms knot, lump, bump, nodule, swellingRelated Words growth, tumor, wart; hump, hunch; bruise, contusion, welt; blister, boil; blob, chunk, clod, clump, gob, gobbet, hunk, knob, nub, nubble, nugget, wad

• Options
    daemon9 said:
     Yes, I understand the definition of the word (a point in a network or diagram at which lines or pathways intersect or branch) but, the word is so technical/mechanical/boring.  It should be something intriguing or colorful.  Other games referred to gathering points (ore, herbs, etc.) as nodes...which didn't really make sense, but the word stuck.  I have no imagination so I have no suggestions.  Any objective thoughts?
    How about AOI's? (Areas of Influence)
  • Options
    How about AOI's? (Areas of Influence)
    What about 'Grinding Random Areas Popular Ecosystems' = GRAPE
  • Options
    We can call them "Maora", after me, cause I'm a cutie? >_> <_<
  • Options
    Can we not call it "couch" but call it "sofa"
    Can we not call it "99 cent store" but call it "dollar store"
    Can we not call it "coffee" but call it "psychoactive drug"

~
  • Options
    lexmax said:

1. Expedition
    2. Encampment
    3. Village
    4. Town
    5. City
    6. Metropolis
    This is great to know, but just by Intrepid officially calling the system Nodes already give the players a reference point to start with when actually in the game.  For example- A player may ask in game, "Does anyone know where I can find a potion vendor?"  and someone will respond with "I was in the northern part of the map yesterday and a node popped up near where I was.  I'm not how developed it is by now, but you might check there."  This is, of course, assuming the map doesn't show development of nodes at far away locations.  Assuming because I'm not quite sure how the node system works yet.  Then there might be someone who says "Wow...three nodes popped up today and they're all developed to villages already."  

I'd like to change this culture before it has a chance to take root when player testing begins.

PoisonZ, you're missing the point -_-'

Oh, and there's this weird glitch with the comment/reply function where if you quote someone, your mouse cursor gets stuck inside the quote box making it impossible to type outside of it.  I've reloaded the page, signed out/in, deleted cookies, reinstalled Windows, and sacrificed my first born, and coming back to this page STILL has the quote text in the comment/reply box and I'm STILL unable to type outside of it.  Weird!  I probably should report this somewhere else.
  • Options
    daemon9 - PoisonZ, you're missing the point -_-'

I saw an opening and took it 
    :* ~

• Options

Synonyms and Antonyms of node

1. a small rounded mass of swollen tissue the doctor examined the node on my knee before deciding it was the result of arthritis Synonyms knot, lump, bump, nodule, swellingRelated Words growth, tumor, wart; hump, hunch; bruise, contusion, welt; blister, boil; blob, chunk, clod, clump, gob, gobbet, hunk, knob, nub, nubble, nugget, wad

I vote for clod. Let's call them clod. Everything's clod. And let's make Peridot to be ruler of them all.

Yellow Diamond is not going to be pleased with this though.

Also Nodule looks more fancy than Node

If a Node gets too annoying or dangereous we can call it "Tumor"
    If it's a new one or getting ruined by economy we can call it "Nub"
    If it's newly been fresh out of war we can call it "Blister" like it currently has some kind of damage, or depending on the damage "Blister"
    If it's overcrowded we can call it "Swelling" or "Chunk"
    If it's a suddenly created new Node that not much knows we can call it "Bump" like "I bumped it"

But let's not call it "Hunk" ever, it'd sound way weird for many occasions.

• Options
    That which we call a node by any other name will still be a lovely node.................
  • Options
    Node may be a boring word, but it is still the most practical.
  • Options
    Hode =  home node
  • Options
    daemon9 said:
    They are call nodes, because mechanically thats how they function. However thats only of relevence if you care to learn the inner mechanics of how they work, to the average player you will refer to them as hubs, villages, towns etc. You can be blissfully ignorant of their exsistance.
  • Options
    There's node point in this discussion.
  • Options
    what a bought "Grove" ya see it goes with da whole "ashes of creations" thing and life springs forth from Groves and a Grove has ta be cared for by it's people. like how we have to care for a Node to make it grow.
  • Options
    Embers