Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

New Computer Suggestions

I was looking to get a new set up for gaming and have little idea on where to go or how much I may need to spend. I don't know a lot about building them but the one thing I do know is that I want it to be able to run AoC with the best graphics and the most minimal of lag.

Any advice would be great. I know ashes is some good number of years off so if waiting is the best option then I may do that.

Comments

• Options
    If you don't need a new rig now then i'd recommend waiting. I don't follow computers closely but i think a good rule is the longer you wait, the better performance you will be able to get.
  • Options
    I am in the same position as you @Taleteller and what I have done is a little research for what is available now.  I have looked into trade offs and possible upgrades and what they would do to the overall performance of a system.  This started the component research and will keep me up to date with new releases and price fluctuations.  Then I used pcpartpicker to build a few different specs right now to come up with a system budget.  This gave me goals for saving between now and just before AoC releases.  Now, I stay up to date on specs and new releases and when the time comes I should be ready to buy.
  • Options
    if you are buying for ashes then you should just wait a while and buy when the release date is set in stone. 
    my rule of thumb is buy the best you can afford. :) 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    I would go with https://www.newegg.com/ and https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Newegg is good for buying used and new PC components, and pcpartpicker can tell you if the parts are compatible or not! Hope that helps. If you're looking for recommendations for the best parts then I'm not much help there since I'm not a snob, I think all newer components have their ups and downs.
  • Options
    Like everyone else said best thing to do is save your money wait for AoC spec to get released then buy the best you can afford GPU, CPU and RAM, If you can build it that will save you a lot of money but if you need to have it built look for a respectable online company stay away from the big time name brands in my opinion, you can get more bang for your buck that way. 

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    If you don't need a new system now then yes, waiting until the game is much closer to release (and posting recommended system specs) would be best.

This is especially true if you can't afford to dump 3k on top of the line components. Even if you can, whatever you buy today will probably cost half that in 2 years for the same specs.

I also wouldn't risk putting a system together on your own if you are a novice. Sure it's a lot easier than it was say 10-15 years ago but doing something wrong (like not properly installing the CPU or not using enough or too much thermal paste for the CPU cooling, etc) could cause a fatal meltdown when you least want it. Budget in a good reputable computer shop, bring them all your bought parts and have THEM assemble it and install the system. maybe even see what you can buy directly from the shop so they can make a couple bucks :)
  • Options
    If you plan on building a PC for AoC, then you don't have to rush. Especialy now that graphic card prices are inflated.

We don't have a release date yet, but we certainly won't have release in 2018 (if I had to guess, Q1 2019) so you can still pick up good deals during 2018 Black Friday sales.
  • Options
    Get one that changes color.
  • Options
    If you want serious suggestions then you'd have to put up a budget if you have one.
    There isn't much point trying to spec one for AoC right now as it could be a long way off.

If you have tons of cash though and want some kind of beast you'll have to pimp it out with some NZXT stuff :)
  • Options
    7700k CPU, 64gb 3600 G. Skill triton RAM, msi gaming m7, Nividia gtx1060, Samsung SSD 1tb NVME, corsair 110x CPU all in one cooler, anidees crystal Ai case, corsair PSU
  • Options
    7700k CPU, 64gb 3600 G. Skill triton RAM, msi gaming m7, Nividia gtx1060, Samsung SSD 1tb NVME, corsair 110x CPU all in one cooler, anidees crystal Ai case, corsair PSU

Also your computer lights up a beautiful blue/green. Nicely done!