Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

General philosophic question and suggestions to the individual game experience

Hello there happy MMO people

first of all thank you! - to the sympathically developer crew for this groundbreaking new approach in the genre. in my opinion you are on the very right track and with the right ideal to make MMOs GREAT .... ! little side hint there, i am sorry :D

i went through all the available talks of you today where you speak about your ideas and concept work behind the game and i didn't expect what happened to me, i got completely hooked which didn't happen in years with MMO and me.

i was lucky to not jump on the WOW train back then, which was one of the best games in the beginning when you really had to get organized in groups with a lot of people and item builds to crack the newest dungeon and boss - when hardly anybody knew what to do. that was the golden age where their legacy was build and the pro guilds had the fun of their life and really got awarded for their effort they've put into figuring it out and were able to generate real personal relationships with other players - which was actually the real deal about the whole genre back somewhen  ... and then they fucked it up as you say in the questions and answers video on your side. http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGepb_OZLhQ

So far as i can judge with the information the developers provided us, the whole concept is to view in a completely different angle of organic flows which are not very controllable.

What i could filter so far is that the player is invited to identify himself to a bigger degree in the game and is able to build his/her own world around them and putting effort in all the different aspects like trade or commercial is rewarded with housing, nodes, communities and whatsoever. The side effect what the developers kind of promote is that players are bound to get involved with others and work together to achieve higher goals. from the small fry new player to big organized guilds on local servers where maybe everybody speaks the same language and which makes things easier for some players. And form real relationships what the original idea of MMO is actually all about. Every player is submitted that they are valuable and needed for a lot of things which i think makes the difference here in the game experience. i see a lot of potential here in the social aspects of gaming.  but is that really gonna work out?  can you really experience that world in the manner we all wish to. 

To get to the point, i think its gonna be a good challenge to balance all the mechanics - as we germans say:" the devil is in the detail"
in my experience of 20 years of gaming is that people on MMOs tend to fuck around with unexperienced players at a certain point. also after a certain time on the same server the hierarchy is set and people get frustrated who don't spend all their time playing and have then a huge disadvantage. foghladha did come up with some really good thoughts here: http://https//forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/33592/please-dont-punish-casuals-with-small-guild-caps-intrepid#latest
All we user know so far is pretty vague and we'll have to find out after the launch, but it leaves a lot of questions for those who are really excited about the mechanics and the new style of game.
i think some of us have really really high hopes to finally get a good game they can play for years and where they can make some friendly social contacts too
i think to really get the people involved and really build a virtual social and personal society/structure which a lot of gamers were seeking through out the past decade in gaming and didn't find in the end, i see now here. but thats only gonna work out if the developers implement some safety and general fairness into the mechanics. 

i am a bit concerned about the nodes and so far as i understood limited places for those. if you really want to give people the free will; how can they build up their own little tavern in the woods when spaces are limited? how is that server thing working anyway?  is there any political specs we can adjust like a neutral node with no intention to rivel with others and gets a certain immunity? can the nodes be costum build with left over spaces to help out others when something happens to them? Will kindness and generosity will be rewarded?  how can i do my own little business somewhere? 
is there any safety provided for little camps that they don't get constantly raided by the big guilds for fun? is there a neutral merchant zone where you can beginn anew when you lost your housing or structure? how can players prevent to get corrupted by bigger organized groups? 

these are just some of the questions i find very interesting to really think through. 
you might see were i am getting with my questions above and what i would want to point out.

i hope this totally new concept of gameplay/experince can also change how people behave in online gaming, through the implemented spirit behind the project. 

Thats what i would love to see through this and i am missing for too long now :D

What are your opinions? What would you like to experience differently then in other games? 

you disagree? 

The developers invited us to go through the process and suggest new ideas. what are your thoughts? 

Comments

• Options
    You just have to realize that 49.9% of people are below average. Then apply that to your interactions.
  • Options
    "how can they build up their own little tavern in the woods when spaces are limited?"

I remember them saying the map is going to be immense(very very immense). And why would you start your town  inside a forest rather than a 
    plateau by thinking by the time goes the settlement get bigger and bigger. 

Though if the game lets players to be nature massacrist (like real humanbeings) to mow down an entire rainforest just for a single shoppingcenter/settlement, then you can start your town inside of forest knowing that those trees are just vegatables waiting to be uprooted.