Ashes of Creation - COMBAT GAMEPLAY!!! Pax Details, Class Skill Icons, New UI & More

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited August 2017 in Fan Media


CLICK HERE:  



Stay Up To Date With Ashes of Creation Development. 

We got a FIRST LOOK AT COMBAT IN ACTION with the combo system!!! All the PAX details, stream Q&A highlights, new elemental skins, snapchats and a ton more.

Twitch Live Streams -

- - - SHOW LINKS - - -

- Combat First Look -

- Stream Q&A -

- Stream Reveals -

- PAX Details -


- - - More Information - - -

- Community Sites -
Official WIk - http://aocwiki.net

Thanks for watching,
Don't Forget to Share, Subscribe & Like,
I'll see you next time.

Comments

  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017

    I have merged the 2 posts so that the comments are retained ~ Belewyn

  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for the info dump.

    Combat system looks great, timing/combo based, that kind of thing can only be good if they put enough thought into it. The commands seem very responsive. The environment in which this demo took place looks really good already, I can only imagine it getting better as they polish it.

    On the other hand class skill icons look kinda bland, and I hope they will improve the combat animations further, because the mage's left me pretty unimpressed. Still in (pre)alpha, there's work to be done !
  • Iranon said:
    Thanks for the info dump.

    Combat system looks great, timing/combo based, that kind of thing can only be good if they put enough thought into it. The commands seem very responsive. The environment in which this demo took place looks really good already, I can only imagine it getting better as they polish it.

    On the other hand class skill icons look kinda bland, and I hope they will improve the combat animations further, because the mage's left me pretty unimpressed. Still in (pre)alpha, there's work to be done !

    I like the skill icons just because they see easy to see and undrstand what they are for. Some games have really abstract or hard to see icons that dont help

    I agree the mages physical movements werent impressive but maybe thats because spells have fany spell effects, and physical skills like melee attacks will have impressive looking movements maybe?

    I love the look of the combo bar as long as it doesnt get repetitive whcih wome of the suggestions i made in the video would help with that
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    Posted in the wrong topic area before. Reposting comment

    Ziz said:
    Iranon said:
    Thanks for the info dump.

    Combat system looks great, timing/combo based, that kind of thing can only be good if they put enough thought into it. The commands seem very responsive. The environment in which this demo took place looks really good already, I can only imagine it getting better as they polish it.

    On the other hand class skill icons look kinda bland, and I hope they will improve the combat animations further, because the mage's left me pretty unimpressed. Still in (pre)alpha, there's work to be done !

    I like the skill icons just because they see easy to see and undrstand what they are for. Some games have really abstract or hard to see icons that dont help

    I agree the mages physical movements werent impressive but maybe thats because spells have fany spell effects, and physical skills like melee attacks will have impressive looking movements maybe?

    I love the look of the combo bar as long as it doesnt get repetitive whcih wome of the suggestions i made in the video would help with that

  • Thanks for another awesome video Ziz :love:
  • Ziz said:
    Posted in the wrong topic area before. Reposting comment

    Ziz said:
    Iranon said:
    Thanks for the info dump.

    Combat system looks great, timing/combo based, that kind of thing can only be good if they put enough thought into it. The commands seem very responsive. The environment in which this demo took place looks really good already, I can only imagine it getting better as they polish it.

    On the other hand class skill icons look kinda bland, and I hope they will improve the combat animations further, because the mage's left me pretty unimpressed. Still in (pre)alpha, there's work to be done !

    I like the skill icons just because they see easy to see and undrstand what they are for. Some games have really abstract or hard to see icons that dont help

    I agree the mages physical movements werent impressive but maybe thats because spells have fany spell effects, and physical skills like melee attacks will have impressive looking movements maybe?

    I love the look of the combo bar as long as it doesnt get repetitive whcih wome of the suggestions i made in the video would help with that

    Sure, but I appreciate when games go out of their way to make great icons that are both easy to read and look cool ! But whatever, that's another case of extreme nitpicking on my end since I won't be looking much at them anyways.

    Spells can have fancy effect, but it looks flat if the mage's body doesn't move accordingly. There's a world of difference between HURLING a fireball at someone and, huh creating particles that go towards the guy you have tab targeted. Even for spellcasters, animations are important. That earthquake move in the demo looks kinda cool, but it would be a hundred times better if they animated the mage stomping the ground, or throwing their fist downwards, or just whatever else than waving their arms around and keeping the torso/legs stiff to cast it.

    I do think this will be fixed sooner or later tbh. I have yet to see a MMO that gets this kind of thing wrong.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    The only thing that bothers me is the combo line...does it account for lag?  I can see those that experience lag and bad ping being very frustrated.

    Keep up the good videos. 
  • T-Elf said:
    The only thing that bothers me is the combo line...does it account for lag?  I can see those that experience lag and bad ping being very frustrated.

    Keep up the good videos. 
    Good call. That would be very frustrating.

    I know in WoW most addons that have cast bars also have a small bit at the end that accounts for latency. I dont know if this is actually based on real time latency or just some make belive amount but I would assume AoC could see what the ping is and shift the bar or add that amount.

    It could also just be calculated on the client and send a message to the server saying "yes they timed it right". Usually they want server side stuff to avoid hacks but thats more about movement and positioning. Tho I guess some one could make a program on their PC to 100% always get the combos some what..

    who knows, im not a developer! lol
  • This is why they have been cagey about how much of the API they release. The parsers at any cost crowd were like "Fine, no third party programs, but at least give us an API so we can create websites with rankings." Not realizing that the developers see right through the intention that with them giving them those tools they can then develop their own parsers and circumvent whatever restrictions they had planned.

    Another issue with the combo/lag issue is how the client is set up to calculate when a "hit" is sent. Basically they have to decide is it sent at the beginning of the animation, or at the end of the animation. This allows for what is called animation interrupts or "weaving" as it is so famously called in ESO. People realize that they can maximize dps by not allowing the intended animation to fully process, yet still get the damage tick. Leads to all sorts of toxic behaviour by the community right from the get when people don't use the correct style the Parselords determine.

    Ultimately it comes down to how much they stick to their original vision. Combat that is being released so far has been stated to be only around 20 percent finished to what it will end up being. So the combo indicators may be visual cues, and not UI linked once all is sorted. 
  • Ziz said:
    T-Elf said:
    The only thing that bothers me is the combo line...does it account for lag?  I can see those that experience lag and bad ping being very frustrated.

    Keep up the good videos. 
    Good call. That would be very frustrating.

    I know in WoW most addons that have cast bars also have a small bit at the end that accounts for latency. I dont know if this is actually based on real time latency or just some make belive amount but I would assume AoC could see what the ping is and shift the bar or add that amount.

    It could also just be calculated on the client and send a message to the server saying "yes they timed it right". Usually they want server side stuff to avoid hacks but thats more about movement and positioning. Tho I guess some one could make a program on their PC to 100% always get the combos some what..

    who knows, im not a developer! lol
    It's dangerous to compute combat info on the client as it opens up opportunities to cheat using a variety of methods. As a developer who is primarily involved in security, it would be more robust to compute combat on the server but to add average latency to the keystroke window.

    For example if your base keystroke window is 200ms and your average latency is 100ms, then your keystroke window becomes 300ms. But even this approach can be gamed using so-called "lag switches" which simulate high latency, yet allow the player to respond with lower latency in critical points of combat. There are countermeasures to this, but they have to be fairly sophisticated to prevent hard core cheaters.
  • The game looks great so I would really hate to spend the majority of combat watching a box with a red line in it instead of seeing all of the action and awesome effects. Seems like a waste of a good graphics card.
  • Crepidus said:
    The game looks great so I would really hate to spend the majority of combat watching a box with a red line in it instead of seeing all of the action and awesome effects. Seems like a waste of a good graphics card.
    I think right now the bar is easy enough to see that you dont really have to look at it but can see it out of the corner of your eye. But we will see
  • I'm starting to fall even deeper in love with this game as it seems like its aiming to be the game that Archeage should have been. No pay to win, no stupid labor system and no super overpowered classes. Show me I can love an MMO again!
  • Thank you for this awesome post <3
  • Great video as always Ziz!
  • Amazeing video Ziz! got ta say i can't wait ta take this baby on a test drive.

Sign In or Register to comment.