Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will the starting area monsters be proactive and attack when i enter their area?

please give me a challenge i feel bad hacking at simple minded mannequins who just stand there.

Comments

• Options
    Though much of our info is limited atm, here are a couple quotes from Intrepid.

“Rocks fall, pits await you in dungeons, cursed glades call out, even magical ley lines hold danger – the player will experience a tricky and sometimes combative world. We don’t think that a casual walk should be so… casual.  Part of having an immersive experience is having immersive challenges. The coolest part of going into a cave isn’t opening the treasure chest, it’s earning the treasure chest. Slowly walking through dark places, not knowing what danger awaits you.”

"Our unique and adaptive AI means that an encounter with similar creatures will yield a completely different experience to adapt to as a player. Keeping you on your toes for constantly changing responses from your adversary. The world awaits its heroes."

• Options
    I get the feeling that they're suggesting 8-person dungeon teams is because a wide-ranging and complete team's skills mix will be best to counteract what might be in there!
  • Options
    Annatar said:
    I am hoping for an ecosystem system that is a little more 'realistic' than we in most MMOs.  It bugs me when you come into an area and apex predators and prey animal are just casually lounging around waiting for some scrub to come along and kill them for whatever random part some NPC needs.
    Jump scares are going to be a thing. Jeffrey stated that even mundane tasks like gathering plants are going to have things appear to be dealt with. So while you are out playing Pooh and gathering honey, don't be surprised when a swarm of bees attacks.
  • Options
    I agree with the thought that predator and prey should act like they would in reality in any of the environments we journey through. I understand that the Devs of other games want players to "get a feel for the game" but this always turns out to be hand holding and it takes players out of the world. If that wolf sees me before i see him i expect him to maul me, not look at me all doe eyed until i smack him in the mouth.
    thank you all for your imput.

• Options
    As has been said above, we don't have many details, but what has been said about the AI in Ashes sounds promising for intelligent NPCs and mobs.
    Source: https://youtu.be/gcbYJllGfnQ?t=715
  • Options
    I get the feeling that they're suggesting 8-person dungeon teams is because a wide-ranging and complete team's skills mix will be best to counteract what might be in there!
    And i also think that the 8 players in group is related to utility abilities. So i hope that all these 8 different class utilities are not needed at same time and more like 4 is enough. Otherwise it will be pain in the arse try to assemble 8 player groups if you need all different classes to get all you need.
  • Options
    It will depend on how much overlap they allow in their instanced dungeon construction. If, for example, the mages detect magic is the only way to see certain secret magical doors, or if the rangers tracking ability is the only way to get certain boss mobs to appear, then people are going to rightly complain. Or if they go the other way and make those abilities basically useless. Yes, there are secret doors that only the mage can see and open, but behind them is always useless crap that doesn't impact play at all.
  • Options
    Thats why i see its important to balance the need of different utilities in 8 player group content, so you have few options to get through that secret door for example. Maybe it can be revealed either with mage's or with ranger's utility ability. In larger groups this will not be a problem, but needing everytime all 8 different class utilities in 8-man content is not smart way to implement this. In otherhand i presume this all is already covered by devs. ;)
  • Options
    Them devs seem to have pretty good heads on their shoulders so I we will all be just fine. Wondering if any of the dungeons will have timed objectives giving us a reason to split the 8 man group into two groups of four each group taking on a different set of tasks.
  • Options
    Or they may have multiple rewards, ever changing. You didnt see that secret trapdoor underneath the treasure room? Leading to the REAL challenge? Guess you wernt ready. :smiley:
  • Options
    Damn must've missed it should have brought a rogue. well no rouge but i did remember to pack an extra mutton sandwich. woo! who! mutton! and wine.