Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

The Order of Maesters [NA] (RP-themed PvP/PvE Guild)

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited September 2017 in North American Guilds
A guild with a major focus on lore and storytelling, based on the great historians from Game of Thrones. We are scribes, scholars, scientists, philosophers and educators. In the days before the Calamity, our ancestors also wielded magic, with enchantment and alchemy playing vital roles among our ranks.

Since there is still not a lot of information on the game's lore and backstory available, we will need to fill in some of the blanks ourselves. For this reason, I'm going to make several assumptions when constructing the backstory of the Order which may later prove to be false.

The Calamity was a great plague that mutated people and animals into hideous monsters, causing them to roam the landscape looking for prey. The Alchemists' Guild tried to cure the plague, but they discovered the existence of dormant magic in much of the population facilitated the rapid growth of the illness. Thus, they elected to find a place without magic, where the plague could not exist.

The Guild Masters had some talent in astral projections and remote viewing, and were able to look beyond the borders of our world, finding another that matched their specifications -- a world with no magic. By the time they had constructed the first Gateway, several of the Masters had gotten sick as well. They were the first sent through, and upon entering the other side, they immediately felt the plague leave their bodies as it's life source had been choked off.

Knowing the general population had a distrust of alchemists, the Guild fabricated a story of divine origin for the Gateways, leading the public to believe the Gods were responsible. Thus they began a mass migration to this new world, and once everyone who was willing had reached the other side, the Guild Masters deactivated the Gateways and buried them.

With the absence of magic, the Guild no longer had their abilities, and focused on maintaining historical records and general education in science and math. Over the coming centuries their Guild went through a number of different names, before becoming the Order of Maesters. The Guild Masters now go by Archmaesters instead, lead by a Grand Maester.

The true name of the old world faded with the destruction of the Library of Allandia centuries ago, but is currently referred to as Lost Eden, while the new world is called Aedes. The largest organization there is the Aedish Union, an alliance of multiple city-states and nations. The Maesters are the primary historians, scientists, and educators within the Union, though many of them are also trained in physical combat. 

In recent years, the Order has discovered the Gateways buried by their ancestors, and decided to reactivate them and see of the plague was still active. Fortunately, the illness had indeed faded, but descendants of the monsters were still roaming the landscape. The Order funded the first expeditions through the Gateways, magic thriving once more through their bodies.

That covers the backstory of the Order of Maesters. As for the RP elements and narrative during live play, we as a guild would work together to erect a metropolis based on science. If you have characters that you want to be in the guild but don't want them to be actual Maesters, there can be a rank within the Order called Associate. Let's say you want your story to be a mercenary warrior who was hired by the Order as security. That would make you an Associate.

Anyway, there's some ideas to start off :D.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    Duplicate message merged from other thread.
  • I rebranded this as RP-themed rather than an actual RP Guild, meaning everyone doesn't have to stay in character in chat, rather, we maintain the sense of an unfolding story as we adventure.
  • Sounds awesome! Might help people looking to say what region you're planning on playing in, as well as member size desired. Having RPers around is always awesome! 
  • Good point, I added that :D. I'm in North America.

As for size, I hope we can get as many as possible :D. But I do have a few guilds I'm eyeing if the Order doesn't gather enough steam.
  • I honestly love the idea, a friend and I were talking about this exact type of guild. It would add so much to a server.
  • Yeah, I agree :D. I was thinking of expanding the ranks within the Order to make it accessible to all types of characters. My main character would be the Grand Maester, and under him are the Archmaesters of Military, Science, Commerce, History, and any other roles needed. Some will be directly responsible for aspects of PvE and PvP, while other roles are there just for RP purposes and don't actually relate to combat.

For instance, an Archmaester of Science may have experience in medicine, healing, and alchemy. An Archmaester of Commerce will be well versed in economic affairs, dealing in trading, industry, and merchant caravans and also overseeing the free markets. An Archmaester of Military will be a leading figure in Raids, Sieges, and open-world skirmishes. An Archmaester of History will not play any role in combat, as he is a master of lore and education. This will be an RP role, though he may be present on the battlefield as a chronicler and also to aid in the conflict.

Depending on the size of the guild, there may be multiple Archmaesters of each caste. Though this is subject to change.