Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Weapon Progression

Sooooo....weapons have a progression tree. Does that mean you can unlock different kinds of ultimate abilities or do you think it changes the number 1 ability for the weapon? I don't even know where to go with this.

Comments

• Options
    Is an interesting idea. Excited to get in the alphas and test this to see what they have put together and how it will work.
  • Options
    Yeah, it has me intrigued. Would be cool if it had many branching paths. It also begs the question on if you will have to "level up" weapons to get further into the trees. So like the more you use a weapon the more options you unlock in its tree.
  • Options
    Definitely sounds interesting. One problem with that would be for early weapon skill trees being irrelevant because you are obtaining new weapons quickly, unless they account for this and make weapon drops more spread out as you level to allow for full use of the weapon.

I could see having the skill trees for weapon sets like when ever you are using any 1-handed sword you gain the benefits and progress through the tree. Either way seems like it could result in some fascinating enhancements to your basic weapons.
  • Options
    I think they will probably go along that second paragraph @Hardmode . It would make more sense because it would feel like your character has become proficient with using that weapon. Would add so much to horizontal progression. 
  • Options
    I bet weapon progression will be bound to weapon type, 1 handed sword, 2 handed sword, staff, dagger, etc. So when you switch weapon you keep your progression as long as you are using the same weapon type.

And if you switch to new weapon type, it's logical that you should train it as well to become proficient with it.

My question is: Will your weapon proficienty drop over time while you are not using specific weapon?

For example, you have been using 2 handed sword for long time and gained max proficiency, but then you switch to spear, train it and use it, and do not use sword for some time. Will your sword proficiency slowly be reduced over time while you are not using it?
  • Options
    I hope the weapon progression is quite deep. I enjoyed the alternate weapons in games like ArcheAge, but nobody used them. I'd like to create a Character that prioritizes a Spear for combat. I dislike the copy-paste Sword and Shield formula that most MMO's follow, hopefully AoC can change this.
  • Options
    Vortigern said:
    I hope the weapon progression is quite deep. I enjoyed the alternate weapons in games like ArcheAge, but nobody used them. I'd like to create a Character that prioritizes a Spear for combat. I dislike the copy-paste Sword and Shield formula that most MMO's follow, hopefully AoC can change this.

It would be cool to be able to recreate the Spartan 300. Men lined up with spears and shields in hand. Blocking the advance of the opposing army all the while having the superior melee range of the spear to poke and stab them.