Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Arena Of Death

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there will be a kind of an Arena of Death (AoD) mechanic in Ashes of Creation? I know there would be battlegrounds, but those should be 1v1, 3v3, 5v5 as far as I understand it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What I mean by AoD is a large arena in which two raids of 12/18/24, depending on the developers preference (the more the better if you ask me), people each kill each other for fun and various kinds of loot.

An example of what I mean can be seen in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBLAOXgquFo

It could be held in a special building (something like a Colosseum) that becomes available in militaristic nodes when they come to like lvl 4 or something, which could provide a great deal of fun for everyone, and even give the people that are in smaller guilds/solo players an experience of massive PvP.

How it could work is that it only happens once or twice per day/week and people have to be at a specific time and place to sign up for it. Then the people that are signed up are randomized into two (per instance) opposing raids raids and they fight it out for loot and PvP glory.

There could be code written that makes sure there aren't like 7 healers in one raid and 2 in another, but that can be ironed out easily. It can also be done either that everyone's gear is equalized, or not. Or both options can be offered and people could sign up for what they want.

The whole thing would last for an hour max as I think that is a decent amount of time. The way it was done in the game I attached a video of was that there were treasure chests that spawned in a random time and place somewhere on the arena floor, and the raids had to pick them up and carry them to their side's gate. If one raid would overwhelm the other raid then when most of losing raid left the instance the other raid would win automatically and get the rest of the loot soon, rather than have to wait for the whole hour.

The player that picked up the chest was slowed down depending on the rarity of the chest (rare, epic, legendary) and one raid tried to kill him/her and the other protected while the player couldn't use any skills, only run.

There were around 20 rare, 5 epic, and 2 legendary chests during one AoD. There was even a chance that a demon would spawn out of a chest if too many people were looting it at the same time so you had to kill it and keep the other raid away from it at the same time, and its strength and type would be decided on the rarity of the chest.

I have no idea what the loot could be, in the game I gave as an example there were first symbols of gold and gear from the chests which people rolled on, and later they implemented a system where the entire raid got the same thing (material for the helping of crafting better gear which came to the mailbox) with each chest claimed, along with the option to roll for an item that increased your guild loyalty and prestige every so often.

The reason I would like to see something like an AoD in Ashes of Creation is because it's a PvP arena that I used to enjoy playing every day in the past, and haven't seen anything quite like it in any of the other MMORPGs I've played since I stoppled playing that one.

It's just pure raid vs raid PvP with no cannon/wall/other thing BS on flat ground. Only your skill and wits can help you there.

I have high hopes for Ashes of Creation, and I think implementing something like this would just make the game even better than it already looks like it's going to be.

Thanks for reading!

Marac

Comments

• Options
    Might be content for the future. Also might be how the military node determines its leader monthly. There was a rumor that instead of leaderboard they might go massive FFA, but no confirmation yet.
  • Options
    ex Allods Online player here as well.

Arena of Death was always much fun, when teams were balanced.
    Allods online is strong "pay 2 win" game, so all PvP was majorly dependant on who is fighting. But for equally geared (cash shoped) players / teams, PvP was great fun.

Allods Online did many things right. If it wasn't for pay 2 win, it would be an amazing game.
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    ex Allods Online player here as well.

Arena of Death was always much fun, when teams were balanced.
    Allods online is strong "pay 2 win" game, so all PvP was majorly dependant on who is fighting. But for equally geared (cash shoped) players / teams, PvP was great fun.

Allods Online did many things right. If it wasn't for pay 2 win, it would be an amazing game.

Yeah I agree, I stopped playing on the F2P server and went to play on the P2P server after they implemented the patronage lvl 5 thing.

It was a glorious game when everyone was the same and only skill mattered, too bad there weren't enough people to play with most of the time.

But I always had fun in the AoD no matter the server.

That's why I support Ashes of Creation in their monthly sub monetary system.
  • Options
    I would love to see them use the honor system for ArcheAge, where you get honor for arenas.  Although, I WOULD LOVE IT if they made it where you have to fight in arenas or PVP matches to be a leader in a military node.  That would make me so harduuu.  It would be awesome if the military nodes get additional types of arenas like chariot races and jousting, as they develop.
  • Options
    Well, prepare to consult your doctor if that stiffy lasts longer than 4 hours. Military node leadership is determined by pvp (confirmed). Whether it is 1v1 ladder ranking or other types of leaderboard has NOT been confirmed.
  • Options
    Could be possible. Sort of RBG thing.