Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Invisible fences or walls

Please tell me that AoC will not contain thoes God awful artificial and invisible barriers that stop egress for no reason (not one that was provided anyway). The barriers that exist for no reason other than some Dev or admin deaming it was out of some unshared necessity that PCs can move through. I do not like even bushes (any one can go over or through thoes) or even a rock no bigger than or insurmountably smoother than any other rock that we have climed before. I also hate short fences or walls that we would otherwise be able to go over, through, arround or under but illogically can't. Please no "Cabin in the Woods" or "Under the Dome" collision barriers; they ruin imersion.

Comments

• Options
    Please speak a tad simpler as I have a puny brain and didn't understand your exact question.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    Most of the time they are put there to stop players from exploiting mechanics to get to places they should not be. Since there are no factions, don't see why they would need to block people from spawn points. Might play a role in sieges to keep people from circumventing intended mechanics. Basically there are put there to stop people from going to stupid lengths to avoid content. I think it was Neverwinter I played a few years back, where people would spend 15 minutes doing stupid pathing, jumping mechanics to avoid 5 minutes worth of trash mobs. They don't need to put invisible walls, just make cliffs and other natural barriers, though they have stated they want the world to be as "open" as possible.
    They already had someone mage teleport through the gate barrier at PAX before a match started, so expect stuff like that to be fixed well before launch.
  • Options
    You somehow managed to confuse me even more with the mass amount of fragmented sentences bu at the same time, I think I get what you all mean. You are talking about those invisible barriers that are put into place. You don't want them as they ruin immersion and would rather have them put geographical barriers instead of invisible ones?
  • Options
    Beep said:
    You somehow managed to confuse me even more with the mass amount of fragmented sentences bu at the same time, I think I get what you all mean. You are talking about those invisible barriers that are put into place. You don't want them as they ruin immersion and would rather have them put geographical barriers instead of invisible ones?
    Yes excatly thats how i understood the op and i totally agree with him. :) Open world without invisible barriers to block exploring would make the world feel more immersive.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    Beep said:
    Sorry Beep that was a terribly composed question. I hope I fixed it.

But yes, your understanding is consistent with my original query. Hopefully we can get a IS Developer to officially weigh in. If they need to block us from entering an area I hope they make it feel organic instead of the world just ending or some land mark that makes no sense to be an obsticle. I hate

"There's a tree blocking my path. Okay I'll go around it, it is a tree after all I can't just move it. And for some reason I can't climb the tree either. Huh what kind of sorcery is this? I can't go around this tree because some how this daisey is 4 feet wide and 8 feet high and is an immovable object. Am I going mad or do the Gods really not want me to go through here?"
  • Options
    Most of the time they are put there to stop players from exploiting mechanics to get to places they should not be. Since there are no factions, don't see why they would need to block people from spawn points. Might play a role in sieges to keep people from circumventing intended mechanics. Basically there are put there to stop people from going to stupid lengths to avoid content. I think it was Neverwinter I played a few years back, where people would spend 15 minutes doing stupid pathing, jumping mechanics to avoid 5 minutes worth of trash mobs. They don't need to put invisible walls, just make cliffs and other natural barriers, though they have stated they want the world to be as "open" as possible.
    They already had someone mage teleport through the gate barrier at PAX before a match started, so expect stuff like that to be fixed well before launch.
    I agree with that, I also don't like invisibile barriers, but they are needed to prevent players from using bugs or some other mechanics like that to have an advantage over someone else.
    Put I guess that the idea of putting geographical barriers like rocks or mountaints instead of invisible walls should do it, I mean, It's called open world for a reason, so something invisible that blocks me for no reason well..as you said..it ruins your experience
  • Options
    I totally agree that any obstacles should be tangible and realistically navigable by players.
  • Options
    Please tell me that AoC will not contain thoes God awful artificial and invisible barriers that stop egress for no reason (not one that was provided anyway). 
    I doubt it. This isn't Shroud of the Avatar!
  • Options
    I also hate fences. I dislike how I cannot teleport through or jump over them in some MMORPGs. Even with the air gliding MMORPGs I have to dial back and run &jump to air to pass them which also takes time. I hate walking around the fence in game like a normal person. I mean my character can throw huge fireballs from the tip of his finger, but cannot get over a toddler size fence. Annoying. 
  • Options
    I agree with you, OP. It would be a lot more immersive to actually have mountains that are too steep to climb instead of the wall of "There is no content here yet" energy. Maybe as a solution, once there are new areas you can explore, there is suddenly a path in the mountain opening up with the patch. That would be really cool.
  • Options
    I too agree with OP. I'm sick of unrealistic barriers in MMO's. An overturned cart, can't jump it. A fallen tree, can't climb it. I could go on, but we all get the point.