Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What about when new players join

Hey fist off I want to say a massive thanks for creating a game with so much potential I really cant wait for the game.
But my question isn't really mine it comes from my wife who isn't really a gamer but it got me thinking when she asked me.

Will new players get the same experience as players that play from the start? Say after about 6 months of the game being out, someone decides to join will they only be able to experience the game from its later stages?

Comments

• Options
    Not really. It actually would be easier for them to get into since there would be established centers of trade and so on. But the vision is for things to be in a state of continuous flux. Areas that are advanced and built up will get torn down and new areas will rise. People need to get away from their traditional way of themepark mmo thinking that 6 months after release the "beginning zones" are all dead and everyone just hangs out in the "endgame zones". None of that will be going on. Even as nodes level the content that pops inside them will not be level matched. "Oh, that is a level 4 village, so the monsters around it will be too tough for me." Use Witchers open world as more of an example, you are just owning that tribe of goblins, run around a bend in the road straight into a cyclops that even a high level 8 man may have trouble with.
    If they manage to keep with their stated schedule for updates of small monthly and larger quarterly content drops it should keep it fresh for a long time. Since every server is different, and the choice of which nodes to develop will be different, some people may never see the same content as people on a different server.
  • Options
    Hey fist off I want to say a massive thanks for creating a game with so much potential I really cant wait for the game.
    But my question isn't really mine it comes from my wife who isn't really a gamer but it got me thinking when she asked me.

Will new players get the same experience as players that play from the start? Say after about 6 months of the game being out, someone decides to join will they only be able to experience the game from its later stages?
  • Options
    Not really. It actually would be easier for them to get into since there would be established centers of trade and so on. But the vision is for things to be in a state of continuous flux. Areas that are advanced and built up will get torn down and new areas will rise. People need to get away from their traditional way of themepark mmo thinking that 6 months after release the "beginning zones" are all dead and everyone just hangs out in the "endgame zones". None of that will be going on. Even as nodes level the content that pops inside them will not be level matched. "Oh, that is a level 4 village, so the monsters around it will be too tough for me." Use Witchers open world as more of an example, you are just owning that tribe of goblins, run around a bend in the road straight into a cyclops that even a high level 8 man may have trouble with.
    If they manage to keep with their stated schedule for updates of small monthly and larger quarterly content drops it should keep it fresh for a long time. Since every server is different, and the choice of which nodes to develop will be different, some people may never see the same content as people on a different server.
  • Options
    That's not what I mean at all
    I meant if player that start the game on release get to experience the node from the start will players that join later into the game miss out on things because the node will never be bk to the beginning?
  • Options
    The experience of the first times of the game is always unique, for me. Discovering the game could be same even if you join later but taking a part in various server first achievements will always be exclusive to first comers. When it comes to game content, Intrepid's aim is to give new or solo players a chance so you will always (hopefully always) have low level node to take a part in raising it up. PvE content, dungeons and raids will also be there for the new people I guess. So you wont miss on bigger part of the game if you join late. 
  • Options
    Thanks AeonAuron a lot closer to what I was asking tyvm m8
     Its still a concern that after some time the only nodes that will be from scratch IE new will be on new servers
  • Options
    Roger, got ya. The answer is no. Nodes can and will be built up and destroyed. While the base type of node at a location will not change, how it develops the second time around may. All sorts of factors are being collected to influence how the node develops. Say the node makes it to city level (level 5). People in the neighboring area are having their advancement curtailed since the city is now putting pressure on their node and keeping it from developing. They will organize a siege (no easy task, but doable) and attempt to delevel or even raze the node down to 0. Then their neighboring zone of influence will have room to breath and new content will appear. Maybe they deleveled a mountain node, so some cave dungeons disappeared, but they are a coastal node, so sea monsters and underwater dungeons appear. There are around 40 hours of livestreams with questions about the game/information out there to go through. A good place to start would be with the first two node mechanics vids...part 3 was promised, but fell into the coming soon(tm) trap that they sometimes get into. Good luck, and welcome to the game.
  • Options
    thanks UnkownSystemError that helps a lot m8 cheers
  • Options
    Looks like your question has been answered so welcome to the community. I hope you have fun on the forum.
  • Options
    Welcome to the community @mic
  • Options
    Thats a good question, they wil have a different experience ofcourse, thats with every game launch or 6 months later is huge.
  • Options
    That's kinda of the promise of the game, that no two experiences will be the same. Even when the first servers all launch at the same time, you could, better said most likely will have a different experience on server A compared to on server B since each server decided on different nodes to develop.
    You may never experience "that one node over there" in particular but it could just as well happen that a city from the very first days that was abandoned/destroyed over the course of the game will be reestablished and the story retold while enhancing other stories that are going on right now.
  • Options
    New players just get to come into a world that already has been established. It will of course be a different experience than those who experienced building the world, but they still get to be apart of the ever changing landscape of the node system.
  • Options
    Welcome to the community @mic!
  • Options
    Welcome @mic! With an ever changing game based on how nodes are being fed, broken its possible to log off for a day and have an entirely new experience the next. I would say you might find people server surfing to find a community they like, it will be interesting to see how they keep the checks and balances on this game in these regards. 
  • Options
    Welcome mic! Since your question has been answered already, I don't think I need to explain it again. ^^