Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

One of the best Q&A from PAX

I found this video and it is very informative with some new info.  I do not know this person, I just think it's very good and more people need to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvKtEICKqQ

Comments

• Options
    @YTJasonWivart would be the person :)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    4:33 - 4:49
    ... just 8000 ? Guess they'll start small at first then Gradually increase - testing the Server Stability. Because I'd imagine at least 9x that amount  :p

• Options
    The combat info at the end was interesting.
  • Options
    Poor Jason. I remember him from ArcheAge. He made tons of useful videos with hype and then... disappointment. I want Ashes to succeed even more because of the lost hope of such people.

Big regards to Jason, i like his work! 
  • Options
    T-Elf  Nice find! Great interview!  Such enthusiasm. Is it any wonder we became infected?
  • Options
    T-Elf  Nice find! Great interview!  Such enthusiasm. Is it any wonder we became infected?

Yeah. I am still trying to figure out which clinic I need to go to to fix that.
    :thinking:

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Its kind of inspiring and endearing to see someone with such genuine hopes.
    Its almost desperate.
    I hope thats its not crushed.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    hey guys Jason here thanks for the share on the vid and man don't feel bad for me from the Archeage days, If you want to help me out SHARING the vid on places like here reddits and other sites is the best thing in the world for us youtubers! THANK YOU

I myself love gaming and have a huge love and hate relationship (steven shares this view with me as well) with archeage. It was a game that should have been good but was screwed by many things which we wont get into here.

I am eagerly awaiting ashes of creation as you all are and I honestly have high hopes for this in part because of Steven.  More ashes of creation content will be coming from me in the future its just really rough right now as there is so little info and things are very subject to change and the info that I DO get is normally under lock and key since it comes from the $2500+ phoenix intial forums/reddit...

8000 per server is a good number IMO, was very happy to hear that I know some of you may be disappointed in that as if the world is LARGE which is should be you will have many people scattered around and it may feel empty per say. Archeage is a good example of that, there is probably close to 8000 (on queued servers check the jury wait list...they are like 1000 per faction) players on a server when it is full and at queue status but since the world is so large you don't more than 30 or so in one place unless a raid or event and even then you see maybe 100 or so.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Eragale said:
    ... just 8000 ? Guess they'll start small at first then Gradually increase - testing the Server Stability. Because I'd imagine at least 9x that amount  :p

I don't think any servers can handle 70,000 concurrent users online at the same time. I'd love to be proven wrong but that would be way too many people on one server IMO. I think you might have gotten your hopes up a little too much about say wishing for 500 verse 500 battles. I think he's/their aiming for 100v100 in size for say sieges and stuff that he would consider MASSIVE. 

For example Crowfall struggles to have right now 150+ users online at one time with battles of 50+ people being really twitchy... they suppose to soft launch early next year as well so it wont get THAT much better I think we are being told that 1000 concurrent users is the target for Crowfall.

• Options
    Eragale said:

I don't think any servers can handle 70,000 concurrent users online at the same time. I'd love to be proven wrong but that would be way too many people on one server IMO. I think you might have gotten your hopes up a little too much about say wishing for 500 verse 500 battles. I think he's/their aiming for 100v100 in size for say sieges and stuff that he would consider MASSIVE. 

For example Crowfall struggles to have right now 150+ users online at one time with battles of 50+ people being really twitchy... they suppose to soft launch early next year as well so it wont get THAT much better I think we are being told that 1000 concurrent users is the target for Crowfall.

True, 8000 users is still a nice amount, also taking into consideration the recent trend of low population servers a la Dark and Light.
    This doesn't mean a server won't have just 8000 players, a specific server could have over 15.000 active players, but 8000 of them will be able to be online at the same time.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    ^^^
    Active players is a key phrase, yes.
  • Options
    FliP said:
    Eragale said:

True, 8000 users is still a nice amount, also taking into consideration the recent trend of low population servers a la Dark and Light.
    This doesn't mean a server won't have just 8000 players, a specific server could have over 15.000 active players, but 8000 of them will be able to be online at the same time.

Exactly to have 8000 users ONLINE concurrently you would need to have a population of about 20-30k on that server as not everyone can always be online at the same time since most people have jobs/school that eat up most of their day...hell there is this thing called sleep that also eats up a lot of the nights as well... =)
  • Options
    This game really seems like it's going for a vibe similar to Archeage without pay to win or the ridiculous labor system. I'm excited. Also in regards to users remember Wow skewed what ppl think is normal for an mom. In the old days 100,000 was a very impressive number of subscribers for an mmo.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @YTJasonWivart  YTJasonWivart said:
    " ... I think you might have gotten your hopes up a little too much ... "
    Lately, I've been contemplating about this and so much more. But than again ... i kinda expected this long-beforehand. Besides their FAQ did explicitly mention that were going to optimize UE4 Source code for Online Usage xD
    ( don't take that seriously ...but some of that is true  )

About CrowFall ... yeah i honestly don't care too much for CrowFall  :'( it looks nice, Seems okay-ish, but i think it'll be a snooze fest. Despite how some of Devs worked on SWTOR ... that actually makes it more of a Turn-off tbh  :s

More importantly, i have a gut -eeling. And usually my " gut-feeling " is never wrong.
    The only thing i do like is the Ever-Changing LandScape  :)  . But the Constant PvP can easily be challenged - if not bested - by DarkFall 

( despite it being an MMOFPS Fantasy-based Game, i like being able to truly aim Spells. Not so much on the Sword-swings, by still like it. I truely like the Intelligent A.I. that'll actually attack you before you attack them ( in DarkFall ). Thus, the player won't always have the ... " Preemptive Strike ".  )

( Downside in FPS Games are Aimbots ... got to repel that sh!t :\ )

• Options
    DevonMeep said:
    This game really seems like it's going for a vibe similar to Archeage without pay to win or the ridiculous labor system. I'm excited. Also in regards to users remember Wow skewed what ppl think is normal for an mom. In the old days 100,000 was a very impressive number of subscribers for an mmo.

Ya correct, having 100,000 subs is impressive.  That's 1 mil+ a month in income.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Eragale said:

EVE online could, but requires time dialation and a super-server to run it, and google/amazon cloud server tech can handle large amounts of concurrent players. On launch WoW used to have 4k concurrent users, most games rarely go above this amount and if they do its usually segregated in some kind of channel or zoning system. 

Darkfall used to break the game into little connected squares, on the boarder if someone was stood inside the other "zone" you couldnt see them till they crossed over, which was a little wierd.

So 8000 concurrent users is pretty substancial, and its just the concurrent amount, there could be 100,000 players/account on the server, but only so many at one given time playing (concurrent).

EVE online has 50,000-70,000 concurrent connections at its highest peak, and can drop as low as 25,000 during quiet periods. Would you ever see all those players at once? No, most you ever seen in one area are major hubs, you might see 8000-9000 in one space such as major hubs like Jita...

Does this provide any real gameplay value though? Most battles are in the thousands, not 10's of thousands and even then under heavy time dialation, something you couldnt really afford to do in a conventional MMORPG, where battles are usually just a few hundred, and with a MMORPG game design pvp just become a blobfest after a certain point anyway.

So doesnt really matter if theres 4000 concurrent, or 10,000 concurrent. After a certain point it just becames a statistic or number, as you will almost never be in the same place as all those people at one given time.

My 2 centz.

• Options
    Wasn't the discussion about concurrent players per node...rather than per server?