Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Potential class ideas...?

So, we have all seen how they will probably add the Necromancer class, a magic class, that will probably (99%) rise army of undeads, spreading debuffs to all the enemies, you know, necromancer stuff.
So what about if we bring some... monk stuff (?)
At the time there are 4 physical and 4 magical classes (tank-fighter-rogue-ranger / bard-mage-summoner-cleric) , and adding the necromancer will become 4 physical with 5 magical.
So.. what if, as a 5 physical class, they will later on add something like an actual monk, a strong 1v1 physical character that doesn't need weapons or guns, but only fists (using maybe fist weapons).
I always loved the final fantasy series, and always got impressed by the hughe variety of classes that are in there, one of them being the Monk class.

In aoc he can have as I said, fist weapons, skills being martial arts, with even some "magic" in it, like in Avatar : The last airbender. He could use light armor, and be a strong 1v1 character using single-buffs only for himself, something like focusing or meditating granting him additional resistence so stuns maybe and additional attack, despite of losing power in pvp battles where you have to fight as a team, as a guild.

Pros

-> Strong 1v1
-> High attack, speed
-> Could use buffs to power himself
-> Kinda of an "original" class, if compered to the majority of mmo's

Cons

-> Weak on large scale battles
-> Low sustainability
-> Would be denigrated on dungeon raids being a "meh" class when it comes to pve

So, what are your thoughts guys? Do you have some other ideas for new potential classes, even the most original and strange ones, so we can discuss about it and maybe give the developers an idea on some future classes wanted from the community?
I brought up a monk class, but I'm sure that you guys can bring even more original and better ideas! :)

Comments

• Options
    So, we have all seen how they will probably add the Necromancer class, a magic class, that will probably (99%) rise army of undeads, spreading debuffs to all the enemies, you know, necromancer stuff.
    So what about if we bring some... monk stuff (?)
    At the time there are 4 physical and 4 magical classes (tank-fighter-rogue-ranger / bard-mage-summoner-cleric) , and adding the necromancer will become 4 physical with 5 magical.
    So.. what if, as a 5 physical class, they will later on add something like an actual monk, a strong 1v1 physical character that doesn't need weapons or guns, but only fists (using maybe fist weapons).
    I always loved the final fantasy series, and always got impressed by the hughe variety of classes that are in there, one of them being the Monk class.

In aoc he can have as I said, fist weapons, skills being martial arts, with even some "magic" in it, like in Avatar : The last airbender. He could use light armor, and be a strong 1v1 character using single-buffs only for himself, something like focusing or meditating granting him additional resistence so stuns maybe and additional attack, despite of losing power in pvp battles where you have to fight as a team, as a guild.

Pros

-> Strong 1v1
    -> High attack, speed

Cons

-> Low sustainability
    -> Would be denigrated on dungeon raids being a "meh" class when it comes to pve

So, what are your thoughts guys? Do you have some other ideas for new potential classes, even the most original and strange ones, so we can discuss about it and maybe give the developers an idea on some future classes wanted from the community?
    I brought up a monk class, but I'm sure that you guys can bring even more original and better ideas! :)

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    Just reading the title I was about to say someone will sooner or later suggest a monk/martial arts class, and I see it was already suggested.

Personally, I am against martial arts classes simply due to immersion: How can someone deal the same damage with just fists (or maybe even more damage) than a skilled warrior with a sword or greatsword, or even a magician? Makes no sense.

There are plenty of martial arts MMOs and my opinion is that martial arts classes should stay there. There doesn't have to be a martial arts class in every MMO to ruin the logic of the game world.
  • Options
    I would like to see a class that can take different forms, some kind of druid. It could be focused on melee when in "human form" but also have some kind of magical powers when in different physical states.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @FliP  lulz , if you watch enough anime, you'd be surprised

@DemDarius - Necromancy will most likely be one of the Bard, Summoner or Cleric mixes.
  • Options
    They never said they can add Necromancer as a 9th class, they said you can build a Necromancer by mixing the main class and subclass with rolling around skill tree. Like you are Summoner as main, and Mage as second and you do Necromancer stuff.

But I like your ideas, especially Monk. A close combat fist fighting kickboxing class looks cool. That's what I also want to weapons being selective. Like if Fighter chose not to play with any weapon, he uses his punchs and chooses skills for punch and kick. But I think this is too vague and difficult to implement. If I'd play with Mage I'd prefer a magic staff over a spellbook or chinese fan over a spellbook, or If I'd play with Cleric, I wouldnot want to play with that long ass Airbender staff, I'd prefer a shorter staff, bells, ribbon or spellbook.

• Options
    Monk, Fighter rogue mabye ;) ? XD

• Options
    Hhmmm! A post doth vanish :/
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    isnt Necromancer just a classname for example Summoner/Mage ? 
    So Monk will be something like Fighter/Cleric ir Cleric/Fighter.
  • Options
    Roxx said:
    isnt Necromancer just a classname for example Summoner/Mage ? 
    So Monk will be something like Fighter/Cleric ir Cleric/Fighter.
    I don't think you'll be able to raise the dead unless it's just one person at a time like a Summoner. I think it's what Roxx said.
  • Options
    I'd rather they focus on rogu... all the classes at the start and get them to a comfortable spot before they add more class/class combos that might be super hard to balance already xD

That said if they do add more I'd love to see monks, shaman, druids, and something like the abomination from darkest dungeon playing off the corruption stuff.
  • Options
    Considering a Necromancer class feels like much more than "flavor", I see no reason why one of the other 64 classes can't be a Monk type.

Personally though I have always been a believer that Cleric should be it's primary since I have always felt they should be healers and fighters.
  • Options
    DemDarius said:
    So what about if we bring some... monk stuff (?)

Pros

-> Strong 1v1
    -> High attack, speed

Cons

-> Low sustainability

I like the idea of a monk class but they need to be juiced up a bit si in PvP and PvE the monk can function as well as the other classes. As for myself I'd like to see an assassin class that doesn't gain corruption when on an assignment. Anything or anyone who gets between the assassin and it's target is fair game. Let's look at it from a practical aspect, a node or guild  you want to attack is weekend when key officials are taken out of the picture. It doesn't even really called an assassin it could be called a ninja or anything else the devs want to call it.
  • Options
    I watched the alpha zero live stream. I was wondering why you needed classes, it might sound silly. What i'm saying but why not just make the class system more of a choice. Like the mage class is if you wear robes and learn magic you get the mage bonus, but if you wear heavy Armour simple. no bonus! maybe its just me who loves the whole freedom of choice ordeal after all iv'e been spoiled silly by games like oblivion and skyrim were if you want to be a good mage you have be smart and use the equips for one but it doesn't stop from wearing heavy armor your just not going to get the advantage your opponent has just a silly idea but i feel that if you want to play like a noob the game shouldn't stop you but at least we could feel the freedom that comes with a game after all you could make your own class that's interesting you could possibly make the most dangerous wizard in existence or just a stupid rabbit trainer who's only skill is to feed the stupid thing carrots imagine the possibility of it you could truly say you made your own character and no one held your hand while doing it you earn skills by doing quest and you could make them like you need 100 int to learn this spell naturally a warrior wont have that but still the could have the option to do it every battle would be different and you would never know what to expect from someone unlike other games where you know that a mage is without a doubt the ice spell then try and finish it with a fire spell with this you couldn't under estimate your enemy p.s. please add skill/spell crafting it would be so amazing and different from other games you could start guild or schools where you could teach your friend the spell and it would be your decision if you used the spell to gain fame among the people for your magnificence or you kept it hidden like a surprise waiting just in case you needed a surprise later sorry it was a long read i just get so much passion when i hear about things with potential and i would hate to see something like this flop over classes after all my friends usually stop playing games because they hate the classes BTW you should also make skills gain able by what you do with your avatar like you gained a lock picking passive lvl 1 because you you unlocked 50 locks not because your a in a class that sounds silly like ya i'm a rouge who kills dragons and iv'e never touched a lock in my life but i put in skill points so now i'm better than someone who's done it every day for 5 years i remember that the original idea behind this game was to go beyond what everyone has done so far from what iv'e seen its not that different from what other older games have done whats new and i will still have that feeling like the avatar isn't mine its someone else with how its going you guys are going to be over worked with nerfing entire classes because they are to op i like how much you guys focus on the environment and all but this is pretty important too but if you still want to stick to this boring and flawed class system i guess i can just recommend going out and buying a DnD book it where most of the classes games use come from anyway yet if you still want to make something special still go out and get one it can tell you how to implement a system for spell/skill crafting such as the magic point of origin these are the thoughts of a potential player and what i would what i and many of my friends would want from a game ... thinks for reading and sorry for my bad grammar.
  • Options
    1) Holy batman that's a wall of text. 
    2) Sorry for the line of text :D

@themaskmaker
    watched the alpha zero live stream. I was wondering why you needed classes, it might sound silly. What i'm saying but why not just make the class system more of a choice. Like the mage class is if you wear robes and learn magic you get the mage bonus, but if you wear heavy Armour simple. no bonus... 
    Okay I'm a fan of a similar "freedom" of class that you're talking about. Mechanically it's quite nice to start off as basically nothing, and over time pick up skills, weapons, gear, ect... to become specialized in whatever you're doing. The thing is I don't believe that's the "theme" they're aiming for in this game. Sure there will be plenty of autonomy for players, become a craftier, go pvp, create a guild, ect... but the exact mechanics your asking for would go against some of their ideology about this game. To me it seems like they want to make "mmos great again" which means polishing and giving a twist to mechanics we all know and love, they're re-inventing the wheel, but their not trying to make a stone table, if that makes sense. Also at this point it would be quite hard to implement such a mechanic that's would require stripping alot of the core mechanics of the game (to my understanding but hey i'm not a game developer i'm just talking out my arse). 

add skill/spell crafting it would be so amazing and different from other games you could start guild or schools where you could teach your friend the spell and it would be your decision if you used the spell to gain fame among the people for your magnificence or you kept it hidden like a surprise waiting just in case you needed a surprise..

Again i'm a fan of the idea of being able to create/add skills/spells. Regarding the idea of "skill" crafting, the exact details of crafting aren't out as of yet. We know that it's recipe based, but whether their may be an RNG component or maybe even "recipe books" out in the world we do not know just yet. So there may be a component where while crafting your basic sword that any sword smith with that recipe can make, you stumble upon a "chance encounter" (we can make this RNG on the crafting itself or maybe even a rare add-on skill from a dungeon, or even make it so it's a "hidden" recipe so instead of using the same mats one day you decide to throw in a random mat to see what happens and got lucky and learned a "secret add-on") that now allows you to make basic swords with +10 bleed or whatever. I'm a fan of such mechanics especially if it goes the "secret recipe" route where even if you know the basic recipe that those who explore their craft might be able to learn better recipes that aren't readily available to other players which makes their items worth more in the market (supply and demand). 

All in all, the idea of "freedom" in choice when it comes to skills, gear, and play style is still available but it might not be presented in the exact way that you mentioned in your post. At this time we wont be picking up "rare" class skills from dungeons or golden chests, and skills aren't "leveled" through repetition as is common in alot of old school east Asian games, though there may be "recipes" for crafters out there in the world instead of it being skills. BUT hey this game is in Pre-Pre-Alpha alot of it can change before it's released so you never know :D.

• Options
    There is so many different ones but I would love for there to be a Rune Master class, basically it's a class that uses runes to not only enchant weapons and armor but can also use them to cause different phenomena, like a fire rune will create fire, so placing it on the ground would work like a fire trap, a pitfall rune would create a pitfall and so on, well obviously the amount of runes would be restricted, since potentially there could be as many runes as there are words.
  • Options
    I wouldn't really like that but yeah could be.
  • Options
    Oh man with 64classes to get my head around Monk is also really all i can come up with lol