Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Flavor Texts & Legendary Effects

So was wondering if there were any plans and if not there totally should be of the top of the line legendary weapons, armor, etc.  having special effects. In their flavor texts.  Potentially flavor texts that effect the gear in game and not just some description that doesn't do anyhting other than give a tiny portion of lore.
A few examples being one of the legendary swords has an unique passive by default allowing on hit to diminish an enemies defenses gradually until, ofc, there is no more defense to lower.  By doing so the enemy would take vastly more damage due to having nothing for defense.

Or maybe a spear that has enough piercing power to shatter the defensive rating on shields and armor.  Effectively doing the same thing as the sword above.

Or maybe a scythe having the passive effect of the more blood it consumes the faster it strikes and the higher chance it has of causing a one hit kill.

Then maybe going on the side of armor.  Maybe a piece of armor would have the passive to reflect all damage back every 5 seconds.

Or possibly a piece of armor that absorbs the incoming damage and either converts it to health to heal the player or damage on your next strike.

Or maybe even a cursed piece of armor.  You can't unequip it until your purified by an npc priest or something of that nature but the effect of the armor is:
The armor defensive rating slowly degrades to zero but as it degrades the characters health increases to triple the degraded armor value and once it hits zero it resets and the characters health snaps back to its original state.  Or maybe to make this cursed set more accurate the lower the armor value the higher the characters PEAK damage per hit increases.  So basically your typical games Berserker class. lol

What do you guys think?

Comments

• @Semaarius I like the way you think :)
  • Armor and weapons like this would be interesting. They should be of course be extremely rare.
  • Definitely looking forward to legendaries being legen...wait for it... dary.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    tugowar said:
    Definitely looking forward to legendaries being legen...wait for it... dary.
    Why hello there, Barney
  • While it sounds interesting, it could create a massive imbalance in PvP and takes away part of the skill. You could be the worst player in existence, if you have a weapon that can lower your enemy's defense completely without putting much effort into it, that might annoy a lot of people that spent a lot of time studying and practising with their character.
    edited September 2017
    Maybe a legendary dagger from a ancient rogue that allows stealth for a short period of time who ever the wielder is. Stuff like that?
  • I think this sounds really cool ^^ I like it when legendaries do something aside from stats ^^ I'm curious to see what the lengandaries will be like but I also hope they are super rare so it feels epic when you get one.
  • Or make the legendary for special visual effects only without any stats bonus. And make them crafting only, being very difficult and time consuming to craft.
    edited September 2017
    The ideas are not the problem for me.
    Some nice concepts
    Its the fact all but the very last one, dont have anything resembling self balance.

You can go as extreme as you like, the more epic, the more extreme.
    But it has to balance.

This is a PvX game.
    It has to work for both PvE and PvP.
    You cant have godmode in PvP.
    This is not a single player game where you become all powerful and rule the world.
    It is single player friendly game built on parity (balance).
  • So flavor text becoming real?
  • The more lore we get the better 
  • These are some cool ideas!
    Having lore behind legendary gear is something I'm really hoping for. It's a level of polish that just adds so much. Being able to take that weapon and use it to interact with the world in a totally unique way is a fantastic idea. I would love it if I could use a super rare item to spawn a mob or trigger a unique event at a particular location. 
    edited September 2017
    Angelcry said:
    These are some cool ideas!
    Having lore behind legendary gear is something I'm really hoping for. It's a level of polish that just adds so much. Being able to take that weapon and use it to interact with the world in a totally unique way is a fantastic idea. I would love it if I could use a super rare item to spawn a mob or trigger a unique event at a particular location. 
    Artefacts are already in game. Even besieging requires such preliminary gameplay ;)
  • lexmax said:
    @Semaarius I like the way you think :)
    lol good
  • While it sounds interesting, it could create a massive imbalance in PvP and takes away part of the skill. You could be the worst player in existence, if you have a weapon that can lower your enemy's defense completely without putting much effort into it, that might annoy a lot of people that spent a lot of time studying and practising with their character.
    The ideas are not the problem for me.
    Some nice concepts
    Its the fact all but the very last one, dont have anything resembling self balance.

You can go as extreme as you like, the more epic, the more extreme.
    But it has to balance.

This is a PvX game.
    It has to work for both PvE and PvP.
    You cant have godmode in PvP.
    This is not a single player game where you become all powerful and rule the world.
    It is single player friendly game built on parity (balance).

Both of you bring up nearly the same point.  However in some respects these are balanced.  In terms of PvP more often than not it isn't going to be 1v1.  Unless ofc you can get some kind of gentleman agreement on it or something.  So even if for example every hit lowers defense, it doesn't mean that in 5 hits the target wil have nothing.  If there was a real issue with it it could simply be designed with percentage defense drops.  Regardless it wouldn't be a quick degradation.  
    On the other hand as someone pointed out above.  They are classified as Legendary.  And if they are astronomically rare in terms of drop or acquisition then there shouldn't be that big of an issue even if they aren't balanced.  Due to the fact that VERY few would have the item and to top it off once people realize that someone has it then more than likely they will be targeted first to mitigate the effectiveness.  

So all in all I think if they are rare enough the balance issue doesn't really apply.  Besides there can always be non legendary equipment that can boost defense or have the same effect but drastically lack luster.  Perhaps not on hit but instead a percent chance per hit so on so forth for the non legendary equipment. 

There are many ways we can take this since the game isn't out yet, if allowed of course.

Thoughts?
  • I have yet to see an item that can summon a mob... I... want this. Good train of thought here! Of course, any legendary weapon that could do these things would be extremely valuable... especially since the weapon levels up with us. I think they should be soul-bound.. if not, well, let the auction for the legendary weapon begin. Starting bid: 50,000 gold.
  • Chudyie said:
    I have yet to see an item that can summon a mob... I... want this. Good train of thought here! Of course, any legendary weapon that could do these things would be extremely valuable... especially since the weapon levels up with us. I think they should be soul-bound.. if not, well, let the auction for the legendary weapon begin. Starting bid: 50,000 gold.
    That brings up another point I have made in some other forum post.  Items having a set value range.  This way the Auction House or w.e we will have for player trading across the game would be more about a steady economy rather than a bunch of greedy scrooges setting some random item for an astronomical price that no one will ever be able to afford.  

So examples being let's say there are some random mystical enchanted feathers that can only be obtained via either killing some excessively rare mob or the player auctions.  Now having a set value range the feathers would, let's say have a value of 500 Gold.  With a set value range the highest the item could become in terms of value is 750 Gold.  Lowest would be 250.  Or something of that nature allowing only a set amount of increase or decrease.  
    Now if someone else had the same feathers but they either enchanted them further or identified the feathers cuz you know perhaps they had some unknown stat on them.  They would then be able to sell them for a high set value due to what is known or has been done to the feathers.  

Long story short make the Auction House and the amount needed to purchase items reasonable for all players instead of the select few on the high-end spectrum of levels.  AKA the people that can grind the highest level mobs to get the currency or items of value to trade.
  • Log horizon. 
    edited October 2017
    Elder said:
    Log horizon. 
    I was thinking the Exact same thing
    But yh, flavor text with meaning would be much better than just flavortext for flavortext's sake.
    Besides, hiding an ability in the flavortext would be kind of fun tbh. Since you won't know for sure what it will do at first :D

• Besides, hiding an ability in the flavortext would be kind of fun tbh. Since you won't know for sure what it will do at first :D
    Finally someone after my own heart lol.
  • OP, i like your ideas
  • Flavour text is awesome, but by definition doesn't have any effect. It's a flavour thing. Otherwise it would be called an effect. I'd love the crafter of a weapon (Only if it's of the highest quality) to put flavour text on their weapons.