Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gender swapping/Gender role swapping in games

13»

Comments

• Options
    There's really not much 'rpg' in mmorpgs.  A male playing a female character probably isn't role playing as a female; they probably just like the way the female character model looks (from behind).

The gender of a character generally has no effect on gameplay.  It's simply an aesthetic choice so it really doesn't matter much except to a select few.

Do whatever floats your boat and don't project your views onto others unless they specifically ask.

• Options
    Crymoar said:
    There's really not much 'rpg' in mmorpgs.  A male playing a female character probably isn't role playing as a female; they probably just like the way the female character model looks (from behind).

The gender of a character generally has no effect on gameplay.  It's simply an aesthetic choice so it really doesn't matter much except to a select few.

Do whatever floats your boat and don't project your views onto others unless they specifically ask.

You're example happens a lot. A LOT in WoW, female characters, but actually being a guy.

The argument is always the same. My character's IC build (muscles) doesn't fit as well. They're usually androgynous, this is an RP thing though. And some proper customisation should help with it.
  • Options
    I honestly play whatever gender I want to play, based on the character's story I desire to tell. Though more times than not, I will lean toward a male avatar over female, and typically this is because of the designs. Males tend to have better armor designs and because of this, look better.

Where most video games tend to use females as a "sex appeal" and thus the armor doesn't make to much sense. After all, not sure how a bikini armor is going to protect you-- but alright then.

Thankfully, as time has gone along, this has become less of an issue and much the same way that female avatars are not flowered with gifts, like they once were and actually because of this, it has also caused me to be somewhere in the middle. As being treated "frail" or "Don't know what your doing" is why I would 98% of the time play a male. Just to get some ounce of proper respect.

Not saying I don't enjoy the attention once n' awhile, but there is like a time and place for it and for me, it isn't in a video game (well, unless they were like my significant other, then when we are chillin', I wouldn't mind it).

I know I already stated that I will have my stream character be female (maybe), depending on how the models look and my roleplay character be male (cause I'm just comfortable rping men), but in the end-- It just come down to how comfortable I feel, my mood at the time, and character models.