Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Location based progression.

This is one thing I hate that has become the norm. You are level 16? You should be hunting in Teen Forrest... you are level 50? You should be hunting in Fire Doom Cauldron. Now I get it that you will start somewhere and it shouldn't be in a dragons nest. I just don't like measuring my level based on how far away I am from a starting point for players. 

In the vanilla EQ days there were zones and indeed dungeons that were very mixed in level and skill ranges. I had a blast hunting along the shore of the Oasis dodging Sand Giants and Specters, or killing yard trash in the Estate of Unrest. Not only was there an immediate and overwhelming threat but there were higher level players to look at and be inspired by, helped by, and in general it helped make it a social event. It was fun to graduate to that higher player and help out those that could seriously need it. Many of these people became life long friends to this day, and it started out by being helped or helping. 

Pretty much after that everything became the progression march. You start moving in this direction until you get killed or killing no longer rewards you. Dungeons were kept to a tight level range. The motions were the same but the social interaction became that of only competition. Soon even zones (locations) were tightly grouped for a specific level range. 

I just hope that it is taken into consideration. Its always good to be around other players in a MMORPG, they don't have to all be in my range of level / skill. With nodes its hard to say how this mechanic will play out, and it has me hopeful that it may never be an issue. Just one of my observations though. 

Comments