Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

New combat system idea?

It have been a while since i started building my own mmorpg and right now im working on a new combat system idea so tell me if you like it or if i should improve something.
8 of your keyboard keys(like Q W E R A S D F) will be you hand movment and every combo of of any k'keys will become a spell/skill exetra...
In a sword fight you will use 6 of those k'keys as a way to attack (q=up w=down e=left exetra..) and the other 2 k'keys will be for deffening an enemy attack(lets say d is our deffend key so to deffend an attack you will need to click d and then the key of the direction of the enemy attack) or use your special sword(or what ever melee weapon you are using). Im still thinking on how to move using another way then the regular w a s d. If you got any idea i will be happy to hear it.

Comments

• Options
    Oh and sorry if my english is bad its still my secondery lengauge so...
  • Options
    Arx Fatalis -  this used a memory based spell casting system, it was cool and when you got good with it you felt like a spell caster. You had to remember patterns to cast spells, you used the mouse to trace them out.

Heavily involved combat is fun but you almost need a rest in between, The Witcher has a good combat system also, and is dependent on directional attacks and defense. 

Best thing to do is try it out, if it is something you can pick up in less than 30 min and be functional but you get better the more you play you have a winner! 
  • Options
     Am not a fan of this system for one simple reason.

It's too complicated and clunky.

You're average MMO player isn't going to play a game long if the combat is convoluted to the point they need to relearn everything they know about combat. If we are honest, this is true of many video game players. 

Even in games like GW2 that have somewhat "active combat" they still adhere to the basic familiar model. 

I'd rather Ashes focus on what already makes it unique rather than try to reinvent the combat wheel.
  • Options
    i actually build an alpha for this combat system and it takes about 30-60 min to get used to
  • Options

All new things in this world or games or wherever you look, it's always bad at the first sight. Lets test it out and tweak it first.

I think it can work out if they refine it well.

But if we have to change it, just go with the global cooldown spells imo.

• Options
    I kind of like that idea. So that you actually need to put a fair amount of effort and time into your class. World of Warcraft for an example, you get your character to max level, if you're going for pvp you can look up the best players for your class/spec, see their build. Then it's pressing the buttons you see on your screen. No memorization or anything. After a few hours of it it becomes muscle memory and it's pretty simple. Some kind of combination attacking would add something that could add a new level of skill!
  • Options
    This would perhaps work if everyone would be sword fighters.

I don't see how this would work for 2 handed hammers even, let alone for bow users, mages or summoners.

It would likely be just annoying and non natural for ranged classes.
  • Options
    @Mazikar, yes! Arx Fatalis had an amazing casting system. Spell casting and combat was painful until I understood the "pre-cast" and save 3 spells for immediate casting. Finding the runes and then tracing them out in order of 2-3 different runes was the closest a game ever came to making me feel like a real caster!

I feel this game was understated at the time but is still worth playing.
  • Options
    Mazikar said:
    Arx Fatalis -  this used a memory based spell casting system, it was cool and when you got good with it you felt like a spell caster. You had to remember patterns to cast spells, you used the mouse to trace them out.

Heavily involved combat is fun but you almost need a rest in between, The Witcher has a good combat system also, and is dependent on directional attacks and defense. 

Best thing to do is try it out, if it is something you can pick up in less than 30 min and be functional but you get better the more you play you have a winner! 
    I like the magic from Arx, I've never heard about that game until now, thanks! It somewhat reminds me of the miracle shortcuts for Black and White. Which I always thought to be an absolutely amazing system.