Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dungeon and Area Puzzles

Something I'm anticipating more than any other thing I.S has promised us is the creation of puzzles and dungeons and areas leading up to a dungeon or maybe area specifically meant for a puzzle.

These puzzles could range from sliding totem puzzles that Skyrim has to D&D styled puzzles, a "choose a door" type of thing. I feel that having puzzles while exploring in a dungeon should, if solved, give players more rewards at the end of the dungeon when they kill the boss or leave them into a secret room that, depending on the difficulty of the puzzle, would have a certain amount of loot.

Not only puzzles, but the types of obstacles that are interactive need to be present, very much present in the world. I think the coolest thing at PAX was seeing the Mage use a skill that allowed her to reveal the platforms so that the party could hop over the river and onto the next part of the dungeon road. I want to see something like this but in a much larger scale and much more diverse in terms of classes.

For example, a mage should be able to reveal hidden platforms or hidden levers. A ranger could be able to provide a rope that would allow the party to ascend a cliff after they tied a rope to an arrow and shot it up onto a tree branch or huge boulder. The Rogue in similar fashion should be able to use the grappling hook. The bard could be able to use and elude / song to be able to make the party light enough to jump over a river or stream of lava. A necromancer could use a skill to summon/create a bridge made out of bones. A cleric could be able to uncurse a road that was blocked with a Unholy Force, allowing the party to cross. Etc... there are so many creative ways to take this and I personally don't think that only rangers and mages and rouges should be only classes limited to having skills that can affect a dungeon exploration.

To further explain, a necromancer could be able to find the bones of a dead soldier and this Soldier would give a quest as it would have a folded piece of paper containing his last words and a few secrets... Etc. Things like this would make classes much more distinct. And that's not all! You could make it so that there's a obstacle that needs two classes! So, you would need a mage to reveal the platform but the platform only gets you so high and you need a ranger to shoot an arrow to provide a rope, maybe a tightrope through a narrow cave opening that's several feet in the air.

Puzzles should be in the same fashion. Undead puzzles, elemental puzzles, lock puzzles. Puzzles that require an answer to a riddle, puzzles can require a yes and no answer and the players who answer correctly get a better reward chance/rate or get to loot the chest while the others will have to grit their teeth! How does this sound?

Comments