Thank you to all who participated in our August 20 play test! If you joined in, please remember to leave your feedback and bug reports on the forums here: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/categories/apoc-bug-reports

Servers without flagged pvp?

Hi there,

in a game with as many pvp options like siege, caravans, arena, battlegrounds even guild vs guild I don't see much use for the flagged/open pvp. Steven likes to mention risk vs. reward but there is no gain in being slaughtered now and then while doing pve stuff. I get negative xp and am interrupted doing what I was doing. It's a loss loss situation. I don't care for the attacker to become corrupted because he has to deal with it, not me. So where is the point?

I know even gamers who are very fond of certain types of pvp gaming like to enjoy a peaceful uninterrupted pve time as well and I am sure, a server without open/flagged pvp would find many friends. So the question is, will there be servers without it?

Btw. you could do caravans creating an area of open combat around them. Since they will be announced nobody should be surprised to find himself suddenly fight for his life in a peaceful area.

Comments

  • Goemoe said:
    Hi there,

    in a game with as many pvp options like siege, caravans, arena, battlegrounds even guild vs guild I don't see much use for the flagged/open pvp. Steven likes to mention risk vs. reward but there is no gain in being slaughtered now and then while doing pve stuff. I get negative xp and am interrupted doing what I was doing. It's a loss loss situation. I don't care for the attacker to become corrupted because he has to deal with it, not me. So where is the point?
    The point of open-world PvP is to remove the feeling of stasis and safety that PvE only zones have. It adds a dynamic "human" risk factor to gathering, questing and exploring activities that PvE systems can't emulate.

    This ever-present element of risk encourages people to coordinate, prepare and plan their activities and to group together for safety. On the other side of the coin, the attackers must also learn to do the same because the risks are high for them also.

    PvP and PvE together is the heart and soul of Ashes of Creation, its yin and yang so to speak, which is why it is described as a PvX game.



  • While PvP will be enabled at all times, there are systems in place to prevent people from doing it.

    If you become a victim, then there can only be 2 causes:
    - you did something to that person previously so he was just looking for revenge - your fault
    - you happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time and encountered a wild little troll that doesn't care and PKs people around - rare occurances, but not your fault

    If you don't want to be PKed, stay in cities and pay others to do the dirty work outside of cities for you.
  • lexmax said:
    Goemoe said:
    Hi there,

    in a game with as many pvp options like siege, caravans, arena, battlegrounds even guild vs guild I don't see much use for the flagged/open pvp. Steven likes to mention risk vs. reward but there is no gain in being slaughtered now and then while doing pve stuff. I get negative xp and am interrupted doing what I was doing. It's a loss loss situation. I don't care for the attacker to become corrupted because he has to deal with it, not me. So where is the point?
    The point of open-world PvP is to remove the feeling of stasis and safety that PvE only zones have. It adds a dynamic "human" risk factor to gathering, questing and exploring activities that PvE systems can't emulate.

    This ever-present element of risk encourages people to coordinate, prepare and plan their activities and to group together for safety. On the other side of the coin, the attackers must also learn to do the same because the risks are high for them also.

    PvP and PvE together is the heart and soul of Ashes of Creation, its yin and yang so to speak, which is why it is described as a PvX game.



    The word of god has been spoken and we will follow his lead  
  • At this time all information coming from Intrepid indicates the answer to be no, there will not be a PvE only server where PvP flagging  is disabled. We still are in the early stages of development so that is not to say that it might be something much further down the road, but at this time they have indicated that this is not something on their roadmap.
    thanks,
  • Any idea on the penalties of dying from a PK'er?  IE: loot drop, exp loss, etc...  I think this would determine the likely hood of a gank squad more so then anything.  If you take Albion for example the game is made for gank squads with full gear drops and a leader board to promote it.  I am sure there is a way to make it balanced for epic guild wars but still encourage new players to thrive i just have no idea what it would be. 
  • It seems Intrepid wants a full PvX game.  Therefore as @lemax stated:

    "PvP and PvE together is the heart and soul of Ashes of Creation, its yin and yang so to speak, which is why it is described as a PvX game."
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    @Madferret55 There is a penalty for death but there is also more to attacking someone then that. I'd recommend reading about the flagging system: http://aocwiki.net/PvP#Open_World

    On death, you gain negative exp, drop some of your resources, and lose gear durability. This penalty is increased/decreased based off based off what flag state you are in. You suffer the normal penalty for not being flagged, half the penalty for being flagged, and 3x the penalty for being red/corrupted. You become corrupted by killing unflagged players. As you get more corruption you gain a penalty to your stats and a chance to drop your equiped gear.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    FliP said:

    If you become a victim, then there can only be 2 causes:
    - you did something to that person previously so he was just looking for revenge - your fault
    - you happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time and encountered a wild little troll that doesn't care and PKs people around - rare occurances, but not your fault

    There are several more options:
    - someone doesn't want revenge, and isn't a PK troll that just randomly kills people around, but attacks you with specific agenda because he wants some valuable loot you might be carrying and attacks you for it.
    - someone contends with you for a specific farming spot
    - or attacks you because you are a citizen of different node, and he aims to do anything to help his node thrive, and other nodes not
    - someones guild is at war with your guild.
    - etc.
  • Any idea on the penalties of dying from a PK'er?  IE: loot drop, exp loss, etc...  I think this would determine the likely hood of a gank squad more so then anything.  If you take Albion for example the game is made for gank squads with full gear drops and a leader board to promote it.  I am sure there is a way to make it balanced for epic guild wars but still encourage new players to thrive i just have no idea what it would be. 
    Madferret55 information on the Ashes PvP system can be found here:

    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/33075/information-world-pvp/p1
  • Oh I got excited from the title for a moment... Was about to jump on the bandwagon for a server with no flagging system (woo full time PvP) to discourage you from killing the guy stealing your ore. *Likes the shiny things*
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    FliP said:
    While PvP will be enabled at all times, there are systems in place to prevent people from doing it.
    Nothing prevents people from PKing, griefing or doing likewise things of harrassment to other people. Players are out to exploit games in every possible way. The corruption system changes nothing. It's about the same as a korean MMO in 1999 had, which I played. I know, what I am talking about. I've had this kind of discussion for nearly 20 years now and there will no "right" way to look at it. There are people fond of open pvp and there are people who don't. I apologize for bringing it up again. I should have known better ;)

    Thanks for the answer, Belewyn. I will ask again in a year then ;)
  • Goemoe said:
    FliP said:
    While PvP will be enabled at all times, there are systems in place to prevent people from doing it.
    Nothing prevents people from PKing, griefing or doing likewise things of harrassment to other people. Players are out to exploit games in every possible way. The corruption system changes nothing. It's about the same as a korean MMO in 1999 had, which I played. I know, what I am talking about. I've had this kind of discussion for nearly 20 years now and there will no "right" way to look at it. There are people fond of open pvp and there are people who don't. I apologize for bringing it up again. I should have known better ;)

    Thanks for the answer, Belewyn. I will ask again in a year then ;)
    Stick with your survival game PvE servers such as Ark, this is an MMO, not some yearly copy-paste survival game cash grab.
Sign In or Register to comment.