Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Long range abilities

One thing that always made me a little sad about MMOs is how they limit the range on abilities. I think i've played one MMO that didn't try to cap ability ranges and it helped to create some of the most immersive battle experiences I have ever seen. Having spells being shot at you from far away and crash around you made it feel like it was a real battle. They usually didn't do much as it's hard to follow up on something at such a distance but created a great siege/large battle atmosphere.

I didn't realize it until today but since the fireball ability is a ground targeted aoe with a travel time it makes it a great candidate to be a long range ability. The travel time makes the skill harder to aim and easier to dodge. The farther it is shot as you have more time to notice it and move out of the way. At pax, i believe it had a maximum range similar to what you would see in most MMOs but i would like to question if that is necessary. I think it's range could be increased at least 3 to 4 times without causing a huge imbalance. 

I think it would be nice for ability variety and the game's atmosphere if we had abilities that could reach farther then what we normally see in MMOs. I know it's a weird and slightly random request but more options is usually a good thing.

Comments

• Options
    There are a few issues I could instantly think of with infinite long range:
    - During sieges, the defending group could simply use their mages and rangers to deal long range damage from the castle wall without anyone even getting near the castle
    - in dungeons, bosses could be exploited in a way where a boss will target a player, but due to terrain is unable to reach the player and the player can attack and solo the boss freely
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    All of this would be balanced in some way. Fireball had a decent cooldown. You are not going to be doing any kind of competitive damage at this kind of range if any at all. 

1. I have a few things i want to say to this. I don't think it would be implemented in a way that would create this scenario but i don't think it would be a bad thing if it was. Also remember, attackers would also have these tools so it wouldn't be as one sided as you act.

Without any followup it would be hard to finish people off. These attacks aren't that hard to dodge and any damage done can be healed up. If they made this more effective, they could make siege weapons into a counter. Catapults and ballistas could out range class abilities and siege towers could be used to push through the incoming fire.

This is also kind of the point. What's the point of walls if they can't effectively defend and shoot from them. I want to be shot at as i try to charge a castle. This is the gameplay i'm hoping will be created and i feel like goes with the setting. I want the defending team to be raining death upon their attackers as the attackers use every resource available to get into the walls.

2. If that is possible you would be able to do that without the extra range. Once again, it can all be balanced and worked out.