[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

The Written Word: Enabling player-driven roleplay and information-gathering

Ashes of Creation is in a prime position to introduce a journaling skill, and I believe it could only help foster community and roleplay.

Imagine, after the servers have opened, players take the steps to transform a small camp into a fledgling village. Paper would be needed to assign property to this lord or that governor. Now, I know this sounds Very Exciting™, but I'm not suggesting that players can specialize in making pulp to enable bureaucracy. However, it's a given that information will be written down by any civilization, and if it can be done implicitly by game mechanics, it could be introduced explicitly.

There's a lot that could be done with journaling. The most obvious function would be books - some would want to write autobiographies, others might jot down personal notes, and a person or two might decide to chase down a deposed king and his guild to tell the story of their downfall. But my own odd fantasy is writing periodicals - a monthly update for the guild on goals or accomplishments, without the aid of an outside website. Or a collaborative report between Guilds A and B on their exploration of the canyon to the south. Or, perhaps, a monster-hunting guild has recruited a writer/researcher to publish in-game reports on monsters, their habitats, and their weaknesses.

I, for one, would be happy to pay 25 schmeckles for a new book to fill out my shelves.

Comments

• <strong>*Cough* <a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/townnode-building-library/" target="_blank">This thread</a>*Cough*</strong>

Sounds nice, especially the skill part :) But the link above covers about half of the idea ;)

Personally I always though MMO's need a proper "paper"-skill, like taking important nodes, making contracts etc. Right now the only thing that comes to mind is the "transcript" profession in WoW, but thats nothing like you mention.
  • Ha, I didn't see that thread! Well, sounds like you've got me mostly covered in that department. :p
  • Well you can still add to the idea ;)