Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Node Development

First of all, the introduction of progressing nodes is in my opinion a mile stone: it changes a more or less static world into a dynamic, interactive one - of course I'm looking forward experiencing it.

However: as far as I know these changes occur suddenly. If that's true, it breaks somewhat the immersive feeling - it's just too artificial.

Would it be possible to make that transformation more fluid? For instance, for a starting node an hour or so, and for a final one maybe a few days. In that time period the advancements are starting to appear/change.

Comments

• Options

The progression structure is really up to the players. Ashes will have starting areas that are relatively static compared to the rest of the world, in order for new players to get their feet wet and get used to the systems, but after that, we'll see players going in any number of directions. Some will pioneer the wilds, some will build, some will kill, some will put down roots and raise animals. There are a number of paths to progress, and something for every type of player. You could try to limit the growth from camp to village by not feeding the required resources to the node. You might get a few perks from a Stage 2 node, but not many. I doubt you'll get perks just for preventing the growth of the node though.

I believe that whilst the speed of node growth will be somewhat dependent upon the xp and the resources used to build-up the node. I think there's probably going to be a hard-coded limit to how fast a node can grow, but no real hard-coded limit for how slowly a node can grow.

• Options
    This was updated yesterday by @lexmax. If you are basing your idea of node progression off of what was demoed at PAX you are in for a bit of a shock. That was just to show people the mechanic, not the timing. We do not know so far how the transitions will happen, but be sure that steps are being taken so that if you are in the node when it transitions it will not be a jarring experience. Imagine the screaming during alpha when people are trapped in walls or under buildings when POOF a node levels. 

Nodes

Encompassing each server are carefully placed points of development called Nodes. Every node is given purview over a predefined zone of influence (ZOI). Player activity (questing, gathering, raiding, etc.) within this ZOI counts toward that particular Node’s advancement. 

There are six stages of node advancement:

1. Expedition (Few hours)
    2. Encampment (Many hours)
    3. Village (Few days)
    4. Town (Many days)
    5. City (Few weeks)
    6. Metropolis (Many weeks)

After every advancement, an increasing ring of neighboring nodes are locked out from progressing to the next stage. The advancement of a node unlocks its unique content, which comes at the cost of locking out unique content available in neighboring nodes.

• Options
    Node progression speed will most likely not be fast at all, and the speed will depend on players influence in a specific node.
  • Options
    i think the op means, nothing is there in the beginning and then poof there is a camp! and so on with out physically seeing that something is build!

to the OP if you mean that, ..... well then honestly we don't know if it will be like that! could as well be that during creation we see the development of the node! and as progression is been made more and more details from the next lvl will be available! as far as i know no info of that kind made it in to the public yet! So its pure speculation. UnknownSystemError already mentioned how the progression works ... how it physically will look is nothing more but a guess right now! 
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments - that's quite reassuring to hear :)
  • Options
    Cytoxx said:
    Would it be possible to make that transformation more fluid? For instance, for a starting node an hour or so, and for a final one maybe a few days. In that time period the advancements are starting to appear/change.
    What you suggest is already in the design :)

Once nodes advance to the next stage, they still have to be built. 

City building will require materials that may need to be gathered, processed and crafted, or supplied from other locations. This will take time.

Nodes will also experience atrophy unless there is continuous player activity. 

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/34405/information-nodes-and-sieges/p1
  • Options
    ok @lexmax its official ill follow you up on release ... you know everything! :tongue: seriously dude ... been reading up and watching movies ... but i didn't find that info any were! + the transscripts of the question answer is huge not even have way through it! :smile: