Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Missing attacks

Hit Rating is a stat that is in some MMOs, some MMOs have gotten rid of it over the time, some say its part of appealing more to the casual audience. I'd like to start a discussion, and to kick off, I'll list the arguments I've come up with so far.

Hit Rating is a stat to put on gear that will allow players to focus on either big hits that don't always hit, or reliable, weaker hits

Hit Rating is often bound to levels, and since ashes leveling is supposed to be rather slow, the gap will have a big impact in the early days, making it impossible for people with less amount of time to keep up and contest those nodes.
There is many ways of preventing damage, be it actively dodging, parrying or blocking, or other ways to avoid getting damaged through magic, that are not artificially laid upon the players, who will provide a more immersive experience.

Comments

• Options
    They've already said you can build evasion tanks so I assume accuracy would also be a stat.
  • Options

• Options
    i prefer activ dodge over rng dodge.
    less rng and more activ/reactiv gameplay is always better in my opinion
  • Options
    Agreed, active dodging over stat dodging is what I prefer as well. Or a mix of both, with stat dodging being far more insignificant.
  • Options
    As long as action combat skills don't miss with rng..
  • Options
    Using skills > rng skills. 
  • Options
    A few things
    Hit chance should not be dependent on difference in level between players (or mobs for that matter); the difference in other stats should be more than enough to give an advantage to the higher leveled one. Two lower-levels should not be doubly punished if hitting on a single higher-level.

I'd like to see talents/abilities that both increase hit chance and also works the other way to decrease opponents chance of hitting you. Same as with resistances in WoW - there should be more factors in fights that you can't know before you open up.

There shouldn't be hard caps on stats. If you go above the hit "limit" you should get some other smaller benefit for the overshooting amount. This also in relation to my previous point; if I chose to gimp myself by going for extra hit/penetration in case of defensive players(/mobs) it doesn't feel all wasted when not needed - make it more temping to lightly gimp myself.
  • Options

Here is my issue with RNG elements in a video game.

In a pen and paper D&D style RPG (that of witch I'm a huge nerd of) you only have a limited amount of ways in interacting with combat skills. The roll of the dice is your core way interaction with the game world. In the Pen and Paper RPG it is my careful calculation and understanding of the odds and risk, and the throw of that die that constitutes my primary way of interacting with the game world. That RNG contextualizes, and gives meaning to your action. I choose an action, I calculate the odds, and I physically throw the die.

In a computer game we're given much more intimate control of the character, our moves are much more precise, the pace is much faster. The input I have in the game is my mouse and keyboard. When I land an ability I do so by aiming it. I move my character in position, I pop mitigation, I aim my spell carefully and oh...it missed. Neither I nor the other player had control over the outcome of that interaction it was under the hood dice roll. It took away from the autonomy from the choice of the players it didn't add to it.

My criticism is only to passive miss/dodge mechanics. If the player hit an ability that made them dodge all attacks for x seconds, or hit an ability to block then that’s another thing.

• Options
    I like to play smart and be prepared. Missing is something you have to plan for and include in smart game play.
  • Options

Here is my issue with RNG elements in a video game.

In a pen and paper D&D style RPG (that of witch I'm a huge nerd of) you only have a limited amount of ways in interacting with combat skills. The roll of the dice is your core way interaction with the game world. In the Pen and Paper RPG it is my careful calculation and understanding of the odds and risk, and the throw of that die that constitutes my primary way of interacting with the game world. That RNG contextualizes, and gives meaning to your action. I choose an action, I calculate the odds, and I physically throw the die.

In a computer game we're given much more intimate control of the character, our moves are much more precise, the pace is much faster. The input I have in the game is my mouse and keyboard. When I land an ability I do so by aiming it. I move my character in position, I pop mitigation, I aim my spell carefully and oh...it missed. Neither I nor the other player had control over the outcome of that interaction it was under the hood dice roll. It took away from the autonomy from the choice of the players it didn't add to it.

My criticism is only to passive miss/dodge mechanics. If the player hit an ability that made them dodge all attacks for x seconds, or hit an ability to block then that’s another thing.