Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Solo RP characters playable?

I love the node and guild/alliance/war system AoC is bringing.
However, I was wondering, will it be possible to be successul as a "free" person (for example, roleplaying as a mercenary or as a hermit/druid).
What are your thoughts on that?

Comments

• Options

Is there any pull for Solo players, or are we required to join guilds?

-          The game is built for both the solo player as well as guild oriented players, both large and small guilds. Solo players are after all, still a member of the larger server community.

There are some who will most certainly solo  play mercenaries and hermits.  I think Ashes has many possibilities for solo play depending on your own expectations. 

• Options
    Thank you much, @CylverRayne !
  • Options
    I would love to see solo gameplay tied to the large scale gameplay in multiple ways. As an example for PvP, players could put bounties on certain players they dislike or whatever other reason, and solo players can take those as missions from bounty boards. With a requirement that the player have X amount of corruption points for others to set a bounty on their head. Maybe without that requirement for prominent players in the server like node leaders. (ツ)
  • Options
    Nocht said:
    players could put bounties on certain players they dislike or whatever other reason, and solo players can take those as missions from bounty boards.
    OMG that's a lovely idea! Yes, please!
  • Options
    Bounties on corrupted players would be awesome and I thought this was confirmed, but maybe not.

Bounties on players without corruption I think is a bad idea, more so if only a limited group of players (at any time) can do it.

It's PvP, if you have grief with another player take that out personally or just pay another player to risk corruption to do it for you. I would prefer there not be a system that just encourages players offering minimum rewards because they don't like a player.
  • Options
    Yes, but the corruption we know of is only given by "the system", if you attack a lower lvl player etc.
    I really want it to be possible that private people can "hire mercenaries", that would intensify the whole RPG feeling. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    Whoever tells you that you will be able to do everything as solo player is lying.

Sure you will be able to do some amount of content as solo player:
    - questing
    - crafting
    - housing
    - doing skirmish PvP doing sieges

What you will not be able to do solo is:
    - dungeons
    - fighting for castles
    - organized PvP during sieges
    - guild wars
    - defending your caravan against any more serious attack
    - naval warfare
  • Options
    Some dungeons will have solo content.

Solo means adventuring outside of a formal party/raid/guild.
    The OP also confirms the context, so...
    People will be able to engage in combat solo in dungeons, sieges, caravans and naval warfare. You might be fighting alongside other players -especially in caravans and sieges- but you won't have to join a party/raid/guild to do so.

You will have to join a guild to participate in guild wars without risking Corruption.
    Pretty sure Castles are restricted to guilds, so likely you will have to join a guild to participate in castle sieges without risking Corruption (might be restricted from participating at all - but I'm not aware of that being confirmed).
  • Options
    @Dygz by your logic you are solo everywhere, it's just that other people happen to be near you playing with you. xD

That's not solo man. The moment you need to start coordinating with other people, that is team play.
  • Options
    For the most part, being a true solo player just isn't going to happen.  Anyone who has a delusion of being Kirito here isn't going to have a good time.  Yes, you'll be able to adventure, kill things, level up, crafting and probably even find rare hidden things.  That said, you're quickly going to run into the issue of needing to do a dungeon, funding caravans, or high level crafting.  

Anything serious in Ashes is based on the idea of community interaction.  You found a hidden item that triggers a quest?  Guess what, it's gonna require friends to finish, as most of these hidden quests are meant to be important to the server as a whole.  You're the best weaponsmith on the server?  That's awesome!  Oh, you want to craft raiding equivalent gear?  That requires boss drops from raids / dungeons.  

If being a solo player to you means going around alone most of the time, but randomly joining groups or being a pug player for a guild, then sure, you'll have plenty to do.  However being a solitary player will never work here, even artisans will need friends, as crafting is specialized, you can't be a one stop shop.  Again, solo play is viable, and plenty to do.  Being a boss level kirito character on your own isn't.

• Options
    That Kirito comparison though :D
  • Options
    Own a tavern, i think there are alot of things that can be done solo.
  • Options
    To be part of a game is to partake in the essence of Roleplaying what you make of it is up to you 
  • Options
    As long as people can trade items/ currency without having to get something in return then there can/will be mercs
  • Options
    I am finding it hard to believe there will not be an assassin or mercenary guild once everyone is familiar enough with the mechanics to make one. I just don't think it's playing fair to pay someone to kill another player for you.

As for solo RP, there will be lot's of opportunities to do many things. You are limiting yourself to content that can be completed without buddies, but that doesn't mean you personally will get less out of the game.
  • Options
    Nocht said:
    I would love to see solo gameplay tied to the large scale gameplay in multiple ways. As an example for PvP, players could put bounties on certain players they dislike or whatever other reason, and solo players can take those as missions from bounty boards. With a requirement that the player have X amount of corruption points for others to set a bounty on their head. Maybe without that requirement for prominent players in the server like node leaders. (ツ)

I love this idea to. I think a similar feature to GTA: 5's bounty system would be super cool. Maybe have it as a unlock-able feature from nodes, so you have to go to a certain building and then register the bounty. I personally think bounties should only be able to be placed on players with corruption. So you don't have a rich guy sentencing random people to die with bounties xD
  • Options
    Thadgar said:
    Nocht said:

I love this idea to. I think a similar feature to GTA: 5's bounty system would be super cool. Maybe have it as a unlock-able feature from nodes, so you have to go to a certain building and then register the bounty. I personally think bounties should only be able to be placed on players with corruption. So you don't have a rich guy sentencing random people to die with bounties xD
    Hmm, I think this would really fit the world, I mean, one of the first main promotional videos we received is a ranger/rogue infiltrating a node, assassinating people inside, and stealing a shiny object. It would also be cool if the bounties can be custom, like being able to write what the bounty is for on the application you mention to be registered at a building, and that would then show on the bounty posters. I always liked these kind of, build your own scenario type of thing, like in ArcheAge when we're able to write small messages when reporting bloodstains and those can be read by jury members if the culprit is ever on trial.
  • Options
    @Nocht Oh, welcome on my post :D
  • Options
    I don't see a problem in being a solo player, if you don't want to do dungeons, raids or PvP. If you're an artisan, or just a really passionate RPer, then you can still have plenty of fun. Group content will stay group content, but I think solo players are well aware of this. The religion system might also offer plenty of opportunities for solo players having an impact.