Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Long-Term - New Players vs Legacy Player Gap

It might be a little early for this question but I am curious.

In terms of the long-term sustainability of the game, eventually we will get to a point where there are players that have been playing for years from launch which will have a massive advantage over new starters (after a few years). I have seen this happen many times where the gap is so big for new players and they end up quitting thus resulting in a limited amount of new players. What strategy will there be to ensure ongoing new players joining the game regardless of the effort/time gap of legacy players? Will it be like world of warcraft where you will have the option of buying a boost pack or like Archeage which had a fresh start server after a few years. 

Hopefully we will be in for some new dynamics  :) 

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    I agree that this is something that many games don't think and hope we don't have ridiculous scaling here.

It sounds like they will tone back how much we scale with gear. Steven has said that you won't be able to role over people just because you have epic gear and has mentioned that a skilled player can overcome that gear gap. 
    https://youtu.be/hIVnt8SDdrY?t=4m13s

I'm also hoping that the utility each class has will make it easier for new players to be useful to groups.
  • Options

Considering the nature and dynamics of the ever changing world that is supposed to be Ashes I don't see the need to "dumb down" the game or make things  easier  for new players to catch up to anyone.  Smart guilds and town leaders will understand the importance of new people joining their alliances, whether they are new players or old ones.  They will take new people under their wings and help them to become part of their population and therefore add to their defense and maintenance.   
    People will go out of their way to help defend and build what they feel part of.  

Steven did mention at some point that new players will not be left out.  If I can find that info I will post it.
  • Options
    @CylverRayne, any luck on the info for new players? 
  • Options
    To be fair if you put in the time and effort into the game then you should have some sort of advantage over new players. It may be level items or simply meta-knowledge, but if you close the game it will turn off long time players as there was no point in all the work if a new person can close the game in a few months but as always this is just my opinion
  • Options
    That is a good question to ask this early.

Other than gear progression, I so no other gap depending of what we heard so far.

The world is dynamic and keeps changing, so whatever you achieve in one node might be gone the other day.

One more gap I probably see is grabbing the lv1 node houses early, as those are limited and will be quite expensive later on.
  • Options
    The first guild I ever built myself, back in BC WoW, was a guild for noobs. I specifically targeted and recruited them, gave them gold and large bags, and took them under the wings of myself and my officers. Our intent was to give them a way of learning the game without having to fear asking "stupid" questions, or so on and so forth.

It was a great guild, lots of fun, and many of those players went on to become raiders and hardcore PvPers. I'd really love to build something like that, again, in Ashes, with the goal of having a "root" guild people can always rely upon to help them get things figured out.

I can't even think, for half an instant, I'm the only person like this out here. I think that, as @CylverRayne stated, many of us will see the value in wisdom in keeping new people joining our ranks, helping build our communities, and strengthening the world we'll be living in.
  • Options
    Well they said every moment in the game is challanging and every lvl could be joining in on events so.

We have to see about that.
  • Options
    I think that many guilds will be looking for new players as the game progresses, its just natural that people will stop playing and new players will come into the game. Guilds need to replenish their number and there will be those within guilds more than willing to help new recruits get up to speed.

We have no ideas about how long it will take to level at this point so will just have to wait and see.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    @FliP "One more gap I probably see is grabbing the lv1 node houses early, as those are limited and will be quite expensive later on."

The in city housing doesn't appear until level 3, which by the guidelines given out so far is a fair number of days in a nodes progression, not hours. It increases in number each node level jump. While your point of them being quite expensive later on is true, all of those issues go away if people make the effort to siege and delevel established nodes. The great unwashed masses of the homeless can and will rise up to throw the bourgeois out into the wilds. Those that grow complacent in their mansions looking off the veranda yelling "Let them eat cake!" will find themselves back in the fight for housing more than once. The trick with FliPping houses (couldn't resist) will be to time it right so that you sell your developed properties just before the next peasant revolt burns them down.
  • Options
    With wow the issue for myself was always the gold... sure you can just kill mobs, but if you need to buy anything off the auction house, forget it....
    I'm hoping that with the many aspects of income, new people won't be shut out of Ashes