Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What do we know so far about naval stuff ?

Hey Everyone. Jaikant Here.

I would like to make a forum post where we can ask all our questions about naval stuff and maybe a bit more in particular about ships themselves, so I will post in this message (first post) my questions and the ones you will post in commentary, with answers when they will be given with reliable sources. 

First I will tell shortly my naval experience in games and what do I expect from this game, that is my Hope for MMORPGs.

(excuse me about my english skill, i learn't on videos games :) )

================================
My experience.

I play MMORPGs since maybe 9 or 10 years, since i'm 11 yo.

Then I joigned the best MMORPG I played since I started play them : Archeage.

I was not so fan of this game, untill my guild brought me to abyssal event, where i never got so much fun in my entire MMORPGs life. I started farm like a potatoe to make my own ship.

Took me over a year (time during my guild explosed sadly) but i finnaly got the best ship of my server ( full mytic small warship, equal to 2 others ships from p2w players) and i can tell with modesty i was best captain of my server since i was already rekting full legendary or mytic ships and owning the seas with my only half divine/epic ship.

I started doing Kraken and DGS with somes of elitist guild since i was a must have even with my 3.5K gearscore. Others captain copied my ship and my gameplay afther that haha.

But i left the game right before 3.0 cause u know, p2w stuff and sh*t, and add to that i chose a side in a drama when my first guild explosed, and my friends left the game 1 per 1, i had only enemies left that was pking me on sight.

===============================
What i would love to see in naval stuff in AOC :

- Ships are players property not guild property.

- Tons of Differents ships with differents utilities. (I used to say in AA ships had class depending on how you were building them( whith mounted shields, what cannons, what sails, ...).

- Ships are very expansive if you want the best one. You will have to choose between your ship or your gear.

- Ships have buoyancy, and they turn "slow" (i loved that in AA).

- Captain that put a lot of effort and money into theirs ships have a way to make good incomes "alone" (dont OP that please or all will want to get a ship and that something i dont want).

- A bests ships classment, if there is a "best gear classment".

===============
QnA : 
---------------------------------------------------
- Will ships be character properties or guild properties ?

- Will AOC ships be summonable from scrolls in inventory or spell, or do we will need to summon them from an harbour ?

- What if a ship is destroyed ? Does he dissapear ? Can you repair him right where you are with somes tools, you need a carpenter to repair it or maybe go to an harbour ?

- How many differents ships are planned yet ? and what will be their utilities ? (combat, fishing, exploration, trade, fast travel, ...)

- Will there be submarines ? Or mounts like dolphins in AA ?

- Will there be a way to stay a long time diving ? If yes what it will be ? Alchemy ?

- Will AOC ships be hard to get, will it take long to build one ? Will it need a special profession like carpenter or a "ship builder" special profession ?

- Will AOC ships have differents cannons, shield or equipments that you can install on them to adapt them to you gameplay ( small rapid cannons, powerfull but slow cannons, mounted shields, differents sails, ...)

- Will AOC ships equipments (cannons, shields, sails, figureheads, ...) be upgreadeable in any way ? regrade sytem or anything else ?

- Will AOC ships have upgradable components like rudders, radars, sonars, ... ?

- Will there be naval events, that will involve the whole server ?

- Will there be Big sea monsters to defeat, with big reward involving a big raid or multiples raids that would need fews guild to work togethers?

- What about treasure hunting ? will it be on the floor of the sea ?

- Will someone that pass 3/4 of his playing time on sea be abble to make good money ? like finding sunken chests or dunno, other stuff in that genre ?

Will there be naval arenas or something like this ?

Will metropolis type give you bonus whith ships if you are citizen here ? like millitary one or scientist one will affect something on your ship or ship's construction.

My english is horrible, feel free to correct me by PMs.
Also If you have questions that are not asked yet, post them in commentaries and i will add them to my list, like i will add my questions to this list when i will have news ones.
I will post a commentary to say what i edited when i will do so.

Comments

• Options
    The only thing I know is that naval combat will exist. That's pretty much it.

I don't know if there is more information out there. There probably is, so we should see a few discord quotes soon.
  • Options
    FliP said:
    The only thing I know is that naval combat will exist. That's pretty much it.

I don't know if there is more information out there. There probably is, so we should see a few discord quotes soon.
    Well i dont have checked discord yet, i dont make this post to have all answer right now, it's just to repack all infos we have, we will have, and to make devs think about what they have probable not thought about.
  • Options
    There was 0 information given about naval yet so don't even bother looking. We only have the general quote of IS making oceans great again.

But there are some obvious facts about Naval i can tell you: There will be different kind of ships (trade ship, combat ship etc.) and you can customize your ships (since they gaveaway one skin on PAX) and there will be caravan routes overseas. Hmm what else... There will be bosses on water? lol.
  • Options
    Steven also mentioned somewhere he was a fan of the naval area of ArcheAge, so he might take something of their playbook into Ashes.
  • Options
    Jaikant said:
    Your best source of info would be here http://aocwiki.net/Main_Page
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    This was my hands down favorite part of Archeage, and I've been watching the naval content here with much interest.

What we know:
    - There will be ships and shipping trade routes
    -Ships will be customizable (skin already released for PAX)
    -There are plans to make "sailing" a type of profession.
    -There will be several different types of ships.
    -Plans for Island nodes that require ships for trade
    -They will be destroyable by players and mobs
    -Ships are kick ass

And here's what I anticipate being true(the following is my opinion based on conclusions and predictions based on snippits of info)
    -The system will be like Archeage, with ships that have inventory
    -Different ships will have different inventory space
    -Ships will have upgradable parts such as sails, hulls.
    -There will be harpoon guns.(They've said no gunpowder, so chance of cannons looking small. Maybe Greek style catapults instead?)
    -Ships will be owned by individual players, not guilds
    -Taking a ship's cargo will be similar to taking a caravan. Probably will trigger similar event.
    -Ships are awesome
  • Options

Hopefully, seeing as we have Bear McCreary as official composer, we'll have Black Sails Theme like songs when we're on board https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMSoo4B2hFU.

THEN you may get me on a ship :p

• Options
    Source: the googles!

na·val
    ˈnāvəl/
    adjective
    1. of, in, or relating to a navy or navies.
      "a naval officer"

• Options
    Karthos said:
    This was my hands down favorite part of Archeage, and I've been watching the naval content here with much interest.

What we know:
    - There will be ships and shipping trade routes
    -Ships will be customizable (skin already released for PAX)
    -There are plans to make "sailing" a type of profession.
    -There will be several different types of ships.
    -Plans for Island nodes that require ships for trade
    -They will be destroyable by players and mobs
    -Ships are kick ass

And here's what I anticipate being true(the following is my opinion based on conclusions and predictions based on snippits of info)
    -The system will be like Archeage, with ships that have inventory
    -Different ships will have different inventory space
    -Ships will have upgradable parts such as sails, hulls.
    -There will be harpoon guns.(They've said no gunpowder, so chance of cannons looking small. Maybe Greek style catapults instead?)
    -Ships will be owned by individual players, not guilds
    -Taking a ship's cargo will be similar to taking a caravan. Probably will trigger similar event.
    -Ships are awesome
    This man is a hero, someone but him a drink!

• Options
    Ok ladies since nothing is confirmed and almost everything is specualtions, i would like you to post here all the infos with reliable sources you got, dont make this post fall into darkness, thx :)
  • Options
    Has it not been confirmed that crafting boats will be a skill?
    I thought they had mentioned that along with crafting carts being a skill, but requiring the input from multiple craftsmen.

I was hoping to maybe being a master Boat/Cartwright...
  • Options
    It is all just conjecture at this point, they probably haven't even fleshed out the systems themselves beyond vague outlines or statements of intent. One thing you can expect is to get more "it will be the bestest ever!" with no details. I think they got burned with the backlash over the QTE demoed at PAX and have gone into silent running mode. You will get generalities, but very little video or explanation of mechanics for a good while now.
  • Options
    I know this is somewhat removed from naval type craft but will we be able to sail up some of the larger rivers. Will there be river based barges for transport of both goods and people, how about smaller row boats has there been any mention of such.
  • Options
    To sum all of this up, not enough.

• Options
    To sum all of this up, not enough.

Just like every other topic that comes up on these forums, thus its 99% speculation at this point.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    First I've never been a overall fan of the "Ship-concept" in games...
    (Which is not to say I couldn't be, but I'm not much interested)

-My Ideal Ship-content would be something that's there, but not paramount to the game.(Perhaps it will become paramount in further expansions, but who-knows)

*I could only see it being "Vital" if we had to transport goods across continents and perhaps a Pirate(DLC) is in our future.. (Again personally not a fan)

If ship-content was to win me over it would need to be fun
    but require very little of my attention-

What do we know about Ship-content in AOC?
    *The only thing I know is there-will be "Cannons" (Combat of some-sort)

Which is sourced from a Developer-interview with "Deathproxy"
    (Who managed to get one of the Staff-members to slip and spill the beans)

This is one of those things that could end up making or breaking the game for me
    as I absolutely "HATED" AC4(Black-Flag) and Consider it
    The Worst Assassin's Creed game in the franchise.
  • Options
    If there are going to be "Cannons" they won't have gun powder :wink:
    I liked AC-Black Flag but I don't consider it a legit AC game. I think it would have done much better as a stand alone Pirate-like game. Imo AC started to go downhill immediately after the 2nd.

I doubt they will ever make being on a ship a primary part of the game, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    The only MMO i ever played that had naval stuff was ArcheAge so I don't have much to draw up from and compare, but I can say that I liked AA naval part of the game.

So I would personally design it somewhat similar with a minor tweaks and improvements on it.

- having more types of ships each with some unique abilities that work well to help out the fleet. It should be more beneficial to the fleet to have as many of different ships working together, then just having one type of ship multiple times.

- no OP ship type (like Black Pearl) that would become meta and everybody would want that one. Top ships should come in multiple versions, be equally powerful but just having different unique abilities. Fleets should be incentivised to bring along different types of ships, the better diversity, the stronger the fleet.

- open PvP at ocean, incentivising naval combat. No corruption in open waters.

• Options
    Jaikant said:
    Hey Everyone. Jaikant Here.

I would like to make a forum post where we can ask all our questions about naval stuff and maybe a bit more in particular about ships themselves, so I will post in this message (first post) my questions and the ones you will post in commentary, with answers when they will be given with reliable sources. 

First I will tell shortly my naval experience in games and what do I expect from this game, that is my Hope for MMORPGs.

(excuse me about my english skill, i learn't on videos games :) )

================================
    My experience.

I play MMORPGs since maybe 9 or 10 years, since i'm 11 yo.

Then I joigned the best MMORPG I played since I started play them : Archeage.

I was not so fan of this game, untill my guild brought me to abyssal event, where i never got so much fun in my entire MMORPGs life. I started farm like a potatoe to make my own ship.

Took me over a year (time during my guild explosed sadly) but i finnaly got the best ship of my server ( full mytic small warship, equal to 2 others ships from p2w players) and i can tell with modesty i was best captain of my server since i was already rekting full legendary or mytic ships and owning the seas with my only half divine/epic ship.

I started doing Kraken and DGS with somes of elitist guild since i was a must have even with my 3.5K gearscore. Others captain copied my ship and my gameplay afther that haha.

But i left the game right before 3.0 cause u know, p2w stuff and sh*t, and add to that i chose a side in a drama when my first guild explosed, and my friends left the game 1 per 1, i had only enemies left that was pking me on sight.

===============================
    What i would love to see in naval stuff in AOC :

- Ships are players property not guild property.

- Tons of Differents ships with differents utilities. (I used to say in AA ships had class depending on how you were building them( whith mounted shields, what cannons, what sails, ...).

- Ships are very expansive if you want the best one. You will have to choose between your ship or your gear.

- Ships have buoyancy, and they turn "slow" (i loved that in AA).

- Captain that put a lot of effort and money into theirs ships have a way to make good incomes "alone" (dont OP that please or all will want to get a ship and that something i dont want).

- A bests ships classment, if there is a "best gear classment".

===============
    QnA : 
    - Will ships be character properties or guild properties ?

- Will AOC ships be summonable from scrolls in inventory or spell, or do we will need to summon them from an harbour ?

- What if a ship is destroyed ? Does he dissapear ? Can you repair him right where you are with somes tools, you need a carpenter to repair it or maybe go to an harbour ?

- How many differents ships are planned yet ? and what will be their utilities ? (combat, fishing, exploration, trade, fast travel, ...)

- Will there be submarines ? Or mounts like dolphins in AA ?

- Will there be a way to stay a long time diving ? If yes what it will be ? Alchemy ?

- Will AOC ships be hard to get, will it take long to build one ? Will it need a special profession like carpenter or a "ship builder" special profession ?

- Will AOC ships have differents cannons, shield or equipments that you can install on them to adapt them to you gameplay ( small rapid cannons, powerfull but slow cannons, mounted shields, differents sails, ...)

- Will AOC ships equipments (cannons, shields, sails, figureheads, ...) be upgreadeable in any way ? regrade sytem or anything else ?

- Will AOC ships have upgradable components like rudders, radars, sonars, ... ?

- Will there be naval events, that will involve the whole server ?

- Will there be Big sea monsters to defeat, with big reward involving a big raid or multiples raids that would need fews guild to work togethers?

- What about treasure hunting ? will it be on the floor of the sea ?

- Will someone that pass 3/4 of his playing time on sea be abble to make good money ? like finding sunken chests or dunno, other stuff in that genre ?

Will there be naval arenas or something like this ?

Will metropolis type give you bonus whith ships if you are citizen here ? like millitary one or scientist one will affect something on your ship or ship's construction.

My english is horrible, feel free to correct me by PMs.
    Also If you have questions that are not asked yet, post them in commentaries and i will add them to my list, like i will add my questions to this list when i will have news ones.
    I will post a commentary to say what i edited when i will do so.

There are submarine mounts.
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    The only MMO i ever played that had naval stuff was ArcheAge so I don't have much to draw up from and compare, but I can say that I liked AA naval part of the game.

So I would personally design it somewhat similar with a minor tweaks and improvements on it.

- having more types of ships each with some unique abilities that work well to help out the fleet. It should be more beneficial to the fleet to have as many of different ships working together, then just having one type of ship multiple times.

- no OP ship type (like Black Pearl) that would become meta and everybody would want that one. Top ships should come in multiple versions, be equally powerful but just having different unique abilities. Fleets should be incentivised to bring along different types of ships, the better diversity, the stronger the fleet.

- open PvP at ocean, incentivising naval combat. No corruption in open waters.

Black pearl post nerf was shiit, he had only 30 peeps capacity instead of 20.

Also, in AA you had no "OP ships" since the "uniq abilities" were from your figurehead, so yes you could choose you abilities separated from ship choice.

Junk was better than black pearl or cutter cause it had the radar on the floor not on top of the mast, also, before it was patched you could not grab stairs by pressing "F".
  • Options
    Crap, am I going to have to make my own naval PvP guild?
  • Options
    As far as i know we know nothing so far, only that it is financed through KS!!
  • Options
    In Ultima Online we had our own ships and could store stuff on it. I loved the fishing off the ship. The farther out to sea the better the reward.  This would be cool to have in the game.
  • Options
    I just want sea shanties